1.4hdi injector removal, Peugeot 206, 2004

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

avamotor
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 307 1.4HD
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

1.4hdi injector removal, Peugeot 206, 2004

Post by avamotor »

Hello FCF,

Well my recent attempt to remove a broken glow plug tip that snapped off 23mm and left it in the cylinder head has took an interesting but different turn for the worst, however i am still trying to remain optimistic to the last along with the cylinder head coming off last too! [-X

After "careful consideration" i was advised not to start up the engine and let the glow plug tip either be "fired out of/or sucked into the engine" due to the possible irreparable damage that could be caused by this glow plug tip.

I have also discovered that:-

leaving the tip soaked in WD40 for 3 nights does not do anything, nor does vinegar, but Wynns EGR cleaner for diesels was excellent at breaking down the carbon and soot, unfortunatley, after 3 careful taps with a drift it moved the tip straight into the piston chamber #-o

Please could I ask the method of removing the injector so as not to damage either the injector nor the head, I have seen some you tube footage of a a bloke using a slide hammer to remove an injector but i am not entirely certain it was off a 1.4 hdi.

I might as well change the seals too if i can get the injectors out.

Does anyone out there in FCF land own a "injector removal slide tool" that i could either borrow/hire/pay someone to remove? I am in Mansfield Nottinghamshire if anyone can help someone in need!! [-o<

the car cannot be driven currently as i am still waiting for the gearbox repair (damage casing to be made good) and the head removal would still necessitate the injector removal as the connector to the fuel line is in the way of the head bolts and doesn't want to budge as per my earlier attempt today.

Thank you,

Garry
wheeler
My Cars:

Re: 1.4hdi injector removal, Peugeot 206, 2004

Post by wheeler »

Is it the 8v version ? Cant say i've ever had any real trouble getting the injectors out on the 1.4 hdi. Never had to use any excessive force, special tooling or do any damage. Sometimes a pair of vise grips & a bit of elbow grease but they generally come out ok. Its the 2.2 & the 2.0 16v HDi injectors that normally give you a problem.
avamotor
(Donor 2022)
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

Post by avamotor »

Hello Wheeler,

I "think" its only the 8 valve version of a 2004 206 1.4 hdi. I couldnt put any more force on trying to remove the injector pipe adapter for fear of damaging the outlet (apart from that I am awaiting a third and hopefully final operation to have an hernia put right which is why even i have to pass on the "heavy stuff" to either willing mates or family, so i dont want to wreck myself nor the car [-o< ).

After much swapping of spanners, wrenches and non descriptive tools, I struggled to understand "how" i could adapt any other tool for my collection so as to replicate the slide hammer job and keeping the upward force over the top of the injector, rather than trying to cause damage to the injector or cylinder head. :?

I am glad i don't own the 2.2 & the 2.0 16v HDi versions now just to save me any hassle! so i am wondering if the foot clamp could be adapted to remove the injector too, having looked on fleabay last night, the injector removal kits are crazy money so as i can justify what is effectively money for the family or to put back into the maintenance of the car!! 8-[

Thank you

Garry
avamotor
(Donor 2022)
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

Post by avamotor »

Hello FCF,

I have succeeded in my "Mission" to retrieve 23mm of sheared off glow plug tip from the piston chamber of my car!! :-D :-D

After several days/nights of unsuccessful attempts and many a phrase "goodness gracious that illusive glow plug tip, where on earth are you?" and other such phrases with plenty of expletives, I finally retrieved the tip through the injector hole using a newly purchased long reach drift and magnet heat-shrunk onto the drift!!!!!!!!!!! :idea:

I would like to say thank you to everyone's contribution so far, but i now would like to ask the intelligent folk on FCF, the injector i removed to retrieve said tip, looked like it was covered in a light brown dust which presumably means its leaking and getting by the copper washer? is this correct?

Do i need thicker washer on replacement and what is the best thing to clean the end of the injector i.e. Wynns EGR cleaner? etc or just leave it alone replace the seal and copper washer and forget about it?

I presume i dont go within 200m of the injectors with a wire brush!! :lol:

Advice welcomed please.
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well done on getting that @!**#ng tip out without taking the head off. That was a clever idea to get hold of it. I assume you are going to fit new plugs all round? It might be worth cleaning out the glow plug holes to limit the chance of it happening again in the future.

I cannot offer any advise on the injector, so I won't. However, I am certain that one of the knowledgeable members will be able to help.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
sandybx
My Cars: Ctroen,s SAAB, s Vauxhall,s.

Post by sandybx »

Dear Gaznasty,
Firstly, I was reading your current threads about your glow plug predictament, I really felt for you when the darn thing snapped :( I know cars can be a real pain in butt sometimes, more so these days with some cars being very complicated. I was really impressed with your calmness and professionalism, that idea with the heatshrink and the magnet, must have come from the deepest depths of your brain somwhere :idea: :) very very well done indeed ( score;- you 1 car nil ).
Secondly, I must apologise for not advising you, but I am unfortunately a petrolhead, and I have never had diesel.
But good luck with finishing the job now =D>
Vince,
1992 Citroen BX TX i 1.6 auto with air con in White with 47,000 miles.
1988 SAAB classic 900 i with 3 spoke Ronals in rose quartz with 69,000 miles.
avamotor
(Donor 2022)
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

Post by avamotor »

Hello Sandybx,

Thank you for your reply, it was really a case that i didnt want to remove the cylinder head and add loads more money to my current repair. I also found along the way that 1 seal between the turbo and air box housing was also split, the monkeys that i purchased the car from had also been in the turbo at a guess but I need to check how to set the wastegate valve properly and hopefully the turbo may then spin!!! =D>

Apart from that, the car has been down for 2 months nearly between gearbox repairs, and trying to rid it of this anti pollution fault caused by the glowplug (suspected), so i have been into Peugeot in Mansfield today, ordered new seals for the airbox, rocker cover and turbo and hopefully after i get word from my gearbox repair man i should be up and running finally, after that its knuckle down and get ready for an operation knowing that car is already done and waiting for me. [-o<

Thank you again Garry
avamotor
(Donor 2022)
Citroen Xantia 1.9 TD

Post by avamotor »

right okay tried my best to clean the orifice of the injector holes (although trying to get into all the base diameter wasn't all that easy) and was suggested to put some copper grease on the injector to aid its installation.

Could i ask how much copper grease do i put on this injector? :?

do i need to put this around the base of the injector (if any) or does the copper washer do better without it? :?:

please can anyone help with advice.

Thank you

Garry
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Hi here..

Well, this issue has come my way! The car in my Question, C4 1.6 16v HDi.. for me, so far, TWO have broken off in the head!

Firstly I stopped work!

So, id just like to ask your thoughts. If I set the engine to BDC then apply the Wynns EGR cleaner into ONE of the heater plug holes, HOW long before spinning the engine in the hope it comes out the correct way?

Currently they are that bad, spinning the engine over didn;t budge them today..

Cheers for any advice.
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

IF you are going to try that trick, I would still suggest a cheap loaf of bread over the glow pug hole. If (as gaznasty suggested) the tip comes out at speed, the bread should help slow it down, and might even hold onto it.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Its safe enough on the C4, the screen is well out the way.. It wont run anyway so theres no chance of getting the Revs UP enough to throw the plug out, Im hoping after a few hours soaking in EGR cleaner that just lifting the piston up on the crank bolt will be enough to move it... or just cranking the engine over..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
h2ocooler
My Cars:

Post by h2ocooler »

how deep in the hole is the broken piece of the plug? if you can get to it and get the ceramic/element out then a long self tapping screw with a large washer gently screwed into the tip might stop it going into the cylinder.

Another way I have seen somewhere was to remove the injector and use a compressor to put positive pressure in the cylinder then very carefully drill the tip out, you could use the remains of the old plug to fashion a guide to keep the drill straight
2005 Renault Laguna II Sports Tourer Initiale 2.0 Turbo Auto Estate
2003 Citroen C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive Captains Chair
2007 Renault Megane 1.6VVT Cabriolet Coupe Dynamique
02 C5 2.2 Hdi Exclusive Auto Estate (my Dads) DE_FAPPED