206 Earth Fault

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chemexhants
My Cars:

206 Earth Fault

Post by chemexhants »

I have just put a 206 through its MOT and have an advisory regarding an interaction in the NSR light cluster, meaning that the brake light very slightly flashes when the indicator is used. I've cleaned up the nearest earth point and checked the cluster itself but still have the fault. Any ideas as to where I should look next?

Stephen
1997 ZX SX 1.9TD 140k miles
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: 206 Earth Fault

Post by spider »

106's and 306's do this too, the 306 being the most common one I saw.

I would suggest attaching a new earth in addition to the one already present, ideally do both rear light units. Attach one end to the wiring just a few cm before it goes into the multiplug and the other end (fit an eyelet maybe) to a suitable bolt somewhere in the boot area. :)
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
chemexhants
My Cars:

Post by chemexhants »

Andy

Thanks for the prompt reply.
1997 ZX SX 1.9TD 140k miles
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

You're welcome.

If you wanted to test this, if you have a suitable length of wire temporarily connect one end to the light unit earth and string the other up to the battery negative terminal, but it did work on about 9/10 306's / 106's (never had to do a 206 they were too new back then) without issue really. I'm assuming the connector and the light unit board is not corroded / damaged etc obviously

Extra thought (unlikely but not unknown) Remove bulbs and check the bulb holders (both outer and centre pin) are not corroded either, that can cause odd problems sometimes too, but that's not common to have that unless there's been water ingress into the light unit.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG