Petrol in diesel misfuel 306 1.9td

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Petrol in diesel misfuel 306 1.9td

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Hope somebody can help me. My dad put £15 worth of petrol in his old 306 1.9 td. I'm going to disconnect the priming bulb from the pump, and pump the tank out, but apparently he ran it and it cut out, so the pump ( a Lucas unit ) has petrol in it. What's the best way of getting the petrol out of the pump, does it have a drain tap in it. Any ideas, as to pay £200 plus to have it sorted is not worth spending on the car. The car is currently 150 miles away from me, so I didn't want to waste time having a go if it's potentially knackered it.

Thanks.
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: Petrol in diesel misfuel 306 1.9td

Post by Peter.N. »

I wouldn't have thought that £15.00 worth of petrol would have done it any harm if it had been filled with diesel afterwards, how much diesel was there in the tank?

Peter
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you could always crack off all 4 injector pipe unions at the injector ends and crank the engine over till diesel comes through,
then remove the fuel filter clean the houseing out and put it back together with a new filter,

also syphone all the contsaminated fuel out from the tank,

i use an electric fuel pump fot this and if you cant conect under the bonnet, get into the tank from under the rear seat,

regards malcolm
Oldpug
My Cars: Peugeot 406 GLX
Audi A3 TFSI S Line
Mercedes SL320
(In the past,just about every old Peugeot you can think of.)

Post by Oldpug »

Dont start draining the tank you will have petrol and diesel all over the place,not safe !! and a wast of money,then when removed what do you do with it??I had a 306 with about the same amount of petrol in.Filled it right to the top with diesel,inc injector cleaner,changed fuel filter,good bleed,then a good hard run and kept topping the tank up.That was years ago, still got the car no probs,those old Pug diesels are bullet proof.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

The older engines (XUD) are more resilient to this mix than a HDi, simply as the pumps are different.

Having said that even an older IDI engine pump will not take just petrol as derv is needed for lubrication.

I used to do what Citronut said, we had a pump especially for just this, used to plug it into the fuel line on the bulkhead and drain it out.

In theory you should drain it all and refill with diesel (and change the fuel filter) but if you wanted to chance it with just brimming it with derv you can at your own risk obviously :) , as a personal opinion, as long as there's less than about 10% petrol in the diesel it should be OK but don't hold me to it, stranger things have happened.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Best way to drain/fully bleed the pump is to disconnect the return line, switch on the ignition (to open the stop solenoid) and pump the primer bulb until you've pumped about a pint of diesel through the pump. Do this after brimming the tank as suggested and all should then be OK. You should be OK with that much petrol in there on a very full tank.

Petrol is a recognised way of winterising diesel in very cold climates. I believe to about 5%...

The engine will cut out as soon as petrol hits the pump as a diesel is absolutely incapable of running on petrol. Petrol, being lighter, will float on top of diesel in the tank so if you refill with diesel and allow it to settle the new diesel will sink to the bottom of the tank and be ready to be fed to the pump. Bleed the pump as I described above until diesel comes through and hopefully it'll be OK. Then keep the tank brimmed for a few days/weeks until all the petrol has gone - it'll mix as the car is in motion and thus gradually disappear.
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Nuneatonrob
My Cars:

Post by Nuneatonrob »

Thanks to all who took the time to reply! It's been a pleasure to come back to this forum! So many helpful people, so in true forum fashion, I shall reply with an update.

Car is sorted, and seems ( fingers crossed ) to be running ok.

I used the pump the tank dry using the priming bulb method, even moving the car from a flat to slight incline both ways round to get every last drop out. The mix of petrol to diesel was such that is was just petrol in the tank, fortunately it was only 1/4 of a tank. The petrol, or 'piesel' is going to be put in a petrol car 1 can to a fill up ratio until its used up.

I drained the filter housing and cleaned it out, and changed the filter. I bled the system and primed it all using the bulb after putting 10 litres of fresh diesel in. I cranked the engine over on 5 second bursts, and she coughed and spluttered a bit, but fired into life. I drove it to the local petrol station, and stuck another 20 litres of diesel in.

It's just made the return journey home ( over 100 miles ) with no incident, and actually seems to be running better and a lot less smokey! Strange!

Thanks again for all the replies.

Rob
'99 Xsara HDI SX 90
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

Nuneatonrob wrote:The petrol, or 'piesel' is going to be put in a petrol car 1 can to a fill up ratio until its used up.
I hope it's not fitted with a catalyst,,,
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Good news Rob :-D The petrol, just before it died, might well have done a bit of a chemical decoke!
DickieG wrote:
Nuneatonrob wrote:The petrol, or 'piesel' is going to be put in a petrol car 1 can to a fill up ratio until its used up.
I hope it's not fitted with a catalyst,,,
Good point Richard... It'll generate smoke when burned in a petrol engine and will do the cat and maybe the oxygen sensor no good at all... Do you have a lawn mower Rob? Best place for it...

Else that, find a classic car owner. Something like a Morris Minor will not mind it at all...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

May also cause running issues, seen this when someone used a 'petro-derv' mix in a 106 (early monopoint) 1.1. Had some odd running / cutting out / (slight) smoke issues although they did use it 'neat' as it was :D , I expect a carburettor based engine would of faired a bit better though in running terms at least with said mixture.

I think putting say five litres of it into 40 maybe 50 litres of normal fuel should be fine though and not have much effect. I would agree lawnmower or suchlike would be best though.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

my x workshop landlawd rubbed his hands together when i drained a full tank of petrol from a diesel ZX,

he said i'll have some of that,
his car was an L reg ASTRA, he promptly poured 10lt's into his tank,
in the morning he was not to pleased as his car broke down on the way into work,
the owner of the ZX had filled his tank with petrol as the low fuel warning lamp had come on,
so it should have been nearly a tank full of neat petrol,

the ASTRA owner had running problems for the rest of the week

regards malcolm