Esp/asr, engine, parking handbrake error lights

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Fiz13
My Cars: Peugeot 5008 diesel 2.0 manual

Esp/asr, engine, parking handbrake error lights

Post by Fiz13 »

Hi, new to this forum. my wife drives a Peugeot 5008 2.0 diesel 2010. She experienced the following lights come on esp/asr system faulty, handbrake faulty, engine fault:repair needed. Car went into limp mode. Any help would be great. We have also been experiencing tyre puncture/low pressure before this intermittently but not this occasion. Any help appreciated. Thanks
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Esp/asr, engine, parking handbrake error lights

Post by myglaren »

Welcome Fiz13 :welc:

Just a bit of educated guesswork here but a potentially free fix.
Can you check the battery voltage both with the engine stopped and with it running.
The recent Citroens and likely Peugeots seem to be extremely sensitive to low voltages and if your car is used for a lot of stop-star short trips then it can deplete the battery.

Try the following BSI reset procedure
It's a bit of a faff but costs nothing (if you have access to a battery charger).
Fiz13
My Cars: Peugeot 5008 diesel 2.0 manual

Post by Fiz13 »

Thankyou, for that info. But I called out the AA and this morning because they come with my bank account. Anyway, they put the Bosch diagnostic gizmo on and it came back with an odd error "P16A0 - Oil pressure low" nothing to do with the error lights on the dash. The oil level dipstick level was OK, but was snapped at the end? I asked him to reset the error as I needed to get it home. The error was cleared the car drove fine on a 15 mile trip home. Not sure if the error will return?

About a month ago I put in 10w40 Semi-Synthetic by mistake about 3 litres because of engine oil level was low the recommended is 5w30 Synthetic. Could this have any bearing? my mechanic says it shouldn't as long as I change it to the correct one before winter. Also should I follow the 2 year full service or do it every year?

Anyway see what happens. Another thing a tyre puncture followed by low pressure on my left front tyre signs come up on the screen as well as a S T O P. This clears after a while but then reappears now and again. There is no puncture and pressure is ok.

Lastly, I've had this car for 14 months. Should I just accept that I will get these errors. People have told me French cars are notorious for electrical issues. My Honda civic is nearly 14 years old and that never misses a heartbeat (touchwood) even though that is the workhorse. The peugeot is a nice car but slowly it's coming up with problems like these.

Thanks for your help again. I look forward to your reply.
jimmymarsbar
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: 307 2.0 hdi 110
Megane Estate 1.5dCi

Post by jimmymarsbar »

Welcome to the forum, I agree with myglaren, check the battery voltage when the engine is off and engine running.

Engine off you're looking for 12v - anything less than 11.5v and the battery isn't happy.

With the engine running, you'll want 14v or more.

Check the earths on the gearbox, engine, chassis etc.

Finally, you're best off getting the car diagnosed on Diagbox or Peugeot Planet 2000, most other diagnostics set ups can't guarantee accurate results.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

ESP/ASR and handbrake faults coming up on ours turned out to be the EGR valve - genius bit of programming that! You will need to get it on a proper diag computer to see what is going on.
Richard W