207 1.4 16v issues

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

CynicalMonkey
My Cars: Vauxhall Zafira 1.9 (254bhp)
205 GTI
Golf GTI
Peugeot 207 1.4 Sport

207 1.4 16v issues

Post by CynicalMonkey »

Peugeot 207 1.4 16v (56 Plate)

A while back we were driving and got a warning message saying the coolant was low. Luckily, we were about 30 seconds from Halfords so pulled in and bought some. Coolant refilled and all seemed good for the drive home.

Checked coolant when we got home and the level was the same.

The next morning, coolant was checked again and the level was still good. My wife took the car on the 6 mile school run and as she got home, the coolant low warning appeared again. She checked and the coolant was empty again.

Car was taken to a garage and they found some mayo on the oil filler cap and also in the breather hose beside the air intake. They suspected that the head gasket had failed and pressure tested the engine. No issue when cold but when warm, there was a leak.

The car was booked in for the head gasket to be done the next day and left there overnight.

The head was stripped, skimmed, had a new set of gaskets along with a new timing belt, new water pump and a service at the same time - New coolant, new oil, new oil filter etc.

We picked the car up and it seemed a little lumpy when idling but as it had just had an oil change, we thought it may just be some sludge left in the sump that would get pumped round the engine and burnt off.

Fast forward to today and the wife was driving it and got a message saying the oil pressure was low. She stopped in a layby and called the AA. They checked the oil level and it seemed fine, just below the max as you'd expect from a car serviced recently - Oil was still a golden colour so definitely new oil.

AA couldn't see the problem and towed the car home.

I've just had a look and although the car starts fine, it's idling very rough and is bouncing between 770 RPM and 950 RPM (Normally 1100 I believe).

At 2k revs, the low oil pressure warning comes up again but the car suddenly stops feeling lumpy - The sound also changes to a more normal sound.

I have an ELM 327 that I use for my other car (integrated ODB screen in the dash that gives realtime information on the turbo etc) so I plugged that in and read the fault codes - The only one showing is P0012 “A” Camshaft position - timing over-retarded (bank 1).

The problem now is, what does that actually mean and what could the actual problem be. Is it something the garage has done (I.e. messed up the timing) or something simple like a solenoid.

Apologies for the huge story but it annoys me when people don't provide enough background information to build a picture.
CynicalMonkey
205 GTI
Golf GTI
Peugeot 207 1.4 Sport

Re: 207 1.4 16v issues

Post by CynicalMonkey »

I forgot to add that the low oil pressure warning comes up when you hit 2k revs but goes away again as soon as you take your foot off the accelerator. This process can be repeated over and over.

Another thing that struck us as odd was the ice warning when it's 8 degrees outside but that's likely just the wire running to the mirror that's been crimped or something unrelated.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

Is this the 16vTU engine or the 'newer' engine (@M afraid I can't remember the engines code off hand)

Easy to tell: the earlier engines are cambelt usual plastic covers the later ones are chain drive.

The later chain OHC units have a curious VVT arrangement, Haynes suggests you cannot strip it or do any 'head' work at all.

The solenoid looks quite replaceable though.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Andy, This'll be the 1360cc ET3 engine most likely as in my own daughter's 07 plate 207.. It's an evolution of the TU and indeed it does have VVT... It even has the same old TU head gasket oil weep to prove it's parentage :lol: :twisted:

The chain drive one is the 1.6 engine and yes indeed, special tools are needed to lock and position the cams on that one...

Just done a cambelt on hers and it's straightforward even though it has VVT the VVT sprocket is pinned in the normal way although were hand how to pin it is not immediately obvious.. Also., the crank lock is hard to find...

I'd say for the above that the cam timing needs to be checked and it'll most likely be found off and it would certainly account for the lumpy and poor running. I did a photo sequence of the cambelt job when I did Robyn's...

Also, the low oil pressure may be red herring. If yours is anything like Robyn's car it is always throwing up funnies like that...

Check the timing first and foremost...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
CynicalMonkey
205 GTI
Golf GTI
Peugeot 207 1.4 Sport

Post by CynicalMonkey »

Thanks for the replies - I'll have a look at the timing later tonight, pretty difficult in the dark when I get in from work.

Not sure the car is particularly safe to limp to a garage either. thoughts on that?
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I'd play safe personally...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...