307 woes

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

orinoco74

307 woes

Post by orinoco74 »

well I just bought a 307 (silly me) its the 2 litre petrol GLX model. When I got it, it had an aftermarket stereo in, so I figured that's why the clock display in the middle of the dash that displays the clock and temperature and date etc was not working. I figured it needed the stock stereo to work. So today I got looking at it and the thing was actually unplugged. So I plugged it back in and it displays the time and such even with my aftermarket stereo. I turned the car on and the words "anti pollution fault" came up.......... the reason the screen was disconnected I suppose. (f**k)

I am assuming it is normally the EGR valve doing this? I am also assuming that because the engine is mostly under the dashboard tucked away that the EGR valve is impossible to get to and replace?

Another fault is, it has the automatic air con console in the middle, instead of dials it has the digital display. It does display but it is very dim, is there a bulb or backlight needs to replaced or should I just source another unit?

Yet another fault is that sometimes the traction control light will come on. Something I should be concerned about?

And finally..... when I brake fairly hard, I feel like a grinding noise from the pedal and a bumping kind of noise. I know the back disks are filled with grooves all around so will be replaced, along with the pads, could this be causing this "grating "feel?

Thanks for your time in reading this.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Re: 307 woes

Post by RichardW »

Anti pollution fault is just generic engine management fault - could be anything. You need to get it on a Diagbox to see what it's upset about (see http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... 19&t=29178" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Ginding noise is probably the ABS firing at low speeds - usually caused by a broken ring on Xantias, but 307s don't have rings on the front, the sensor is integrated into the wheel bearing. Again, Diagbox on live data might point the finger at a sensor giving an erroneous reading. Traction control light coming on could be related to the same issue.

Don't know about the display I'm afraid.
Richard W
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

From memory there's two or three bulbs in the A/C panel display. If its like the 406 one there's about a dozen small bulbs in it (easy to replace though) I seem to recall there's two types of panel but the bulbs are the same just the quantity needed.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
orinoco74

307 ABS question

Post by orinoco74 »

Bit of a weird one. when I turn the car on and drive it, when I apply the brakes, its like the ABS is already on, even if braking gently. You get the slight knocking sound and the feel of the ABS assistance through the pedal. After a while, the ABS light comes on, then the pedal feels normal when braking. (presumably without the ABS cutting in any more). Any ideas on how to rectify this?
spider

Re: 307 ABS question

Post by spider »

Take a close look at the 'rings' on the driveshafts to ensure they are still firmly attached on them and are not free to 'spin' at their own accord.

Had a similar issue on a 406 actually, that was quite exciting ( ! ) as it would cut the power to the front brakes as the rings were still (at speed!) so you only had rear brakes.
Andy.

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Merged into one thread.

As my post above - no rings on the front of a 307. You need to get it on Diagbox to see which wheel is giving trouble, and then you can take it from there.
Richard W
spider

Post by spider »

RichardW wrote:Merged into one thread.

As my post above - no rings on the front of a 307. You need to get it on Diagbox to see which wheel is giving trouble, and then you can take it from there.
I could not remember. :) So I had to try to post what is a "uncommon but difficult to spot" problem / issue / solution.
Andy.

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

There are rings on the inside of the rear hubs though, that could be broken..... :) Without getting it on some diagnostic kit, just shooting in the dark though.
Richard W
Gibbo_Wirral
My Cars: Peugeot 206 Sport 2L HDI

Re: 307 ABS question

Post by Gibbo_Wirral »

orinoco74 wrote:Bit of a weird one. when I turn the car on and drive it, when I apply the brakes, its like the ABS is already on, even if braking gently. You get the slight knocking sound and the feel of the ABS assistance through the pedal. After a while, the ABS light comes on, then the pedal feels normal when braking. (presumably without the ABS cutting in any more). Any ideas on how to rectify this?
Common problem, known as the ABS sensor gap. Although it normally only affects older 307s.
Peugeot Planet Diagnostics: Wirral, Merseyside, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Wales
orinoco74

Post by orinoco74 »

would anyone happen to know where the egr valve is on a 307 2.0litre petrol?
spider

Post by spider »

I was not sure they had one. You should be able to see it on the inlet manifold easily enough though ?
Andy.

Gibbo_Wirral
My Cars: Peugeot 206 Sport 2L HDI

Post by Gibbo_Wirral »

Post the last 8 digits of your VIN and it can be checked on Servicebox.
Peugeot Planet Diagnostics: Wirral, Merseyside, Lancashire, Cheshire, North Wales