Thinking of buying a 307 1.6 HDI 90bhp

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Northern_Mike

Re: Thinking of buying a 307 1.6 HDI 90bhp

Post by Northern_Mike »

mikesporting wrote:
Gibbo_Wirral wrote:The best 307 to get is the 90bhp 2L model. Get one as close to the 2005 facelift changeover as you can. And go for an LX, GLX or SE model.

Here's a link to my still unfinished 307 buyers guide: http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/356793-post3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I personally found the facelift model far too sparsely equipped. And regular servicing is the key to these engines. I'm pretty sure that the same engine is in at least three marques, but Peugeot has a longer service interval than the others.
Thanks for the reply.... I've been looking at 307's and 308's.... Mainly petrols as I've always preferred them to diesels! I've been tempted by a couple of diesel's that I've seen advertised but have been slightly put off by the replies on here..... I've since come across this one.....

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do you guys think????
Looks OK, but 30,000 miles over 7 years isn't a lot, and I'm wary of cars that have been sat around doing nothing for long periods of time or only used on short journeys. They seem to have more problems than higher mileage ones sometimes!.

I think the service interval on those is 20,000 miles with an "interim" service at 12,500 if it's a lightly used car. I'd be interested to see just how many stamps it has in it's book. If the owner hasn't been judicious, it might have only had one or two services in the last 7 years..
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Hell Razor5543 wrote:Don't be put off by diesel engines. True, the 1.6HDi engine of that type has a problem, but the 2.0HDi engines are incredibly reliable
I agree, to a point James, however, if I was buying anything later than 2006/7 myself now, I'd buy a petrol engined car. There's not *that* much difference in economy any more (my dad's 2010 Merc C-Class averages over 40mpg from it's petrol engine) and they are much nicer to drive.
mikesporting

Post by mikesporting »

northern_mike wrote:
mikesporting wrote:
Gibbo_Wirral wrote:The best 307 to get is the 90bhp 2L model. Get one as close to the 2005 facelift changeover as you can. And go for an LX, GLX or SE model.

Here's a link to my still unfinished 307 buyers guide: http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/356793-post3.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I personally found the facelift model far too sparsely equipped. And regular servicing is the key to these engines. I'm pretty sure that the same engine is in at least three marques, but Peugeot has a longer service interval than the others.
Thanks for the reply.... I've been looking at 307's and 308's.... Mainly petrols as I've always preferred them to diesels! I've been tempted by a couple of diesel's that I've seen advertised but have been slightly put off by the replies on here..... I've since come across this one.....

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/ ... ?logcode=p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

What do you guys think????
Looks OK, but 30,000 miles over 7 years isn't a lot, and I'm wary of cars that have been sat around doing nothing for long periods of time or only used on short journeys. They seem to have more problems than higher mileage ones sometimes!.

I think the service interval on those is 20,000 miles with an "interim" service at 12,500 if it's a lightly used car. I'd be interested to see just how many stamps it has in it's book. If the owner hasn't been judicious, it might have only had one or two services in the last 7 years..
You can see from the photos that it has 6 stamped services in the book....?
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

It''s got 5 stamps, a PDI stamp (the first one) and hasn't had a service since March last year.
mikesporting

Post by mikesporting »

northern_mike wrote:It''s got 5 stamps, a PDI stamp (the first one) and hasn't had a service since March last year.
You must have good eyes to see that! He has told me that it isn't due a service for another 10,000 miles or next year? Aren't these to be serviced every 20,000 or two years?

Also, do these have a timing belt or chain?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I would bet a cup of tea that it uses a belt.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

mikesporting wrote:
northern_mike wrote:It''s got 5 stamps, a PDI stamp (the first one) and hasn't had a service since March last year.
You must have good eyes to see that! He has told me that it isn't due a service for another 10,000 miles or next year? Aren't these to be serviced every 20,000 or two years?

They've got a belt.

If you look on Peugeot's website, they have a service calculator thingy, which will tell you that it is 20k or two years, but should have an interim service in between if it's not used much - every 12,500 miles in this case.

We've got some decent photo-editing software here at work, my eyes aren't that great :) Does a good job of zooming in..
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

People are too obsessed with low mileage when buying cars. My dad's suzuki was ser iced at the dealer every year even though it only did 2500 miles a year. Every mile was done cold 3 miles was its longest journey. As it aged it became the most unreliable piece of crap I had ever seen. When I took it off him when he was not fit to drive, I sold it fer sweetie money to my brother in law. At the time it was 9 yrs old and covered 22000 miles. It needed so much doing to it and kept breaking when asked to do a more normal life of commuting and family stuff. It cost that man over 2 grand of repairs in a year before the engine blew up at 30000 miles and the car was scrapped. That's low mileage. Compare that to the Fiat ulysse 2.0 jtd (read 806 hdi) the same age that I bought with 225k covered and I did another 40k in two years for 3 oil changes, 2 tyres, and a blown intercooler hose. I'll take the high mileage one anytime and save money.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I have to agree Davie. I bought a T-reg Punto when it was 5 years old, with 25k on the clock, apart from the Honda I had from new, it's the lowest mileage car I ever had, and it was the most unreliable piece of crap I ever owned. Crank oil seal, alternator, head gasket, wiper motor and some suspension bushes all failed and I got so fed up with it I went back to a 15 year old Turbo Saab. In comparison, the 205k XM 2.1 TD I bought very cheap after I got divorced because it was the only thing I could afford that was any use on a motorway, took me 45k in a year and the only thing that broke on it was the glovebox lid catch, and I really did give it some pain. I probably didn't lavish that car with love due to the financial situation at the time, but it never complained once.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

...on the other hand, I have had two Citroen XMs that have covered nearly 300,000 miles and have been very reliable. 8-)

Peter
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

And when we are on about mileage, and the 1.6hdi turbo problems we hear of, There are thousands of 1.6hdi engines in berlingo/partner/dispatch/expert/scudo vans that have done 200000 or more with no problems. Yes, the turbos are weak, but its not the turbos themselves, its lack of proper servicing, possibly by private owners. Most vans/taxis using this engine are leased so get serviced regularly and get less problems. I also have heard that they have a bigger sump capacity, so more oil and it does not get dirty and contaminated so soon. It must be worth, if you were to buy a 1.6hdi, when you remove the sump to clean/remove the oil strainer for the turbo to fit a larger sump from a van. I'd rather pay for an extra litre of oil every 8000 miles than blow a turbo.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
Northern_Mike

Re: Re: Thinking of buying a 307 1.6 HDI 90bhp

Post by Northern_Mike »

Peter.N. wrote:...on the other hand, I have had two Citroen XMs that have covered nearly 300,000 miles and have been very reliable. 8-)

Peter
All my 3 XMs had over 150k on them when purchased and two of them were totally reliable. The other one blew the head gasket, but I don't think I bled it properly after I had a burst water pipe.

I'm just a grumpy Northern git.
mikesporting

Post by mikesporting »

northern_mike wrote:
mikesporting wrote:

They've got a belt.

If you look on Peugeot's website, they have a service calculator thingy, which will tell you that it is 20k or two years, but should have an interim service in between if it's not used much - every 12,500 miles in this case.

We've got some decent photo-editing software here at work, my eyes aren't that great :) Does a good job of zooming in..
Yeah I thought they'd be belt.... When are they due to be changed and roughly how much? I've read different mileage/time as to when these need to be done?
mikesporting

Post by mikesporting »

daviemck2006 wrote:People are too obsessed with low mileage when buying cars. My dad's suzuki was ser iced at the dealer every year even though it only did 2500 miles a year. Every mile was done cold 3 miles was its longest journey. As it aged it became the most unreliable piece of crap I had ever seen. When I took it off him when he was not fit to drive, I sold it fer sweetie money to my brother in law. At the time it was 9 yrs old and covered 22000 miles. It needed so much doing to it and kept breaking when asked to do a more normal life of commuting and family stuff. It cost that man over 2 grand of repairs in a year before the engine blew up at 30000 miles and the car was scrapped. That's low mileage. Compare that to the Fiat ulysse 2.0 jtd (read 806 hdi) the same age that I bought with 225k covered and I did another 40k in two years for 3 oil changes, 2 tyres, and a blown intercooler hose. I'll take the high mileage one anytime and save money.

I wouldn't say that I'm obsessed about low mileage, I just have a number that I won't go over.... I weren't looking for a diesel car, it's just by chance that I came across a C5 and 307 diesel 1.6. I were always looking at 308 1.6 petrols, but then I came across that 307sw 1.6 petrol, and I really like the look of it. I've been able to get the price down to £3000 and to me that looks like a good buy?
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I don't usually consider buying a car unless its mileage is approaching 200k - they are to dear otherwise. :)

Peter