406 Radiator Fan Motor

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

johnway
My Cars:

406 Radiator Fan Motor

Post by johnway »

Hi everyone,
Advice please!! The motor on my radiator fan has seized and needs repairing/replacing. I have stripped it down and am waiting for new brushes from China. In the meantime I have bought, rather cheaply, another motor off another 406 and am wondering if it could be made to work as a temporary measure. It is not exactly the same motor as mine (which is 2 speed for air-con) but there are the usual 2 large wires - neg (direct to earth) and pos (direct to 12v relay) plus, 3 other smaller wires which end in a grey connector (on to ECU I assume). Can anyone suggest how to safely wire these 3 up just to get the motor running? Many thanks. All the best, John.
My chariots : 2002 Pug 406 110 HDI Executive Estate 138K
1995 Citroen AX 1.0 Debut 26K
I Blame it all on my Dad!! (Sadly had to give up driving & his 2nd BX) but Mum still has a C1.
johnway
My Cars:

Re: 406 Radiator Fan Motor

Post by johnway »

Hi again,
I see that 9 people have viewed this post at the time of writing but there I have been no replies. As there is interest and I have come up with a cunning plan I thought I would share this simple solution to my problem. The fan which I bought as a temporary measure was first connected to a remote 12v battery using the 2 large wires only (must be pos to pos and neg to neg) and the motor ran. Having passed this simple test I then fitted the working fan to my 406, cut and connected the 2 wires to the original fan wires using 30A terminal blocks (if you know what you are doing and are careful this can be achieved without disconnecting the car battery). The pos wire is fed by a relay and is live only with the ignition "on". A simple rocker switch could be put in-line with the relay ignition feed to manually operate the radiator fan. In my case I am hoping to repair the original motor so will have the fan motor continuously running - it should be OK to run the a/c and tow my caravan without any over- heating problems for now. All the best, John.
I Blame it all on my Dad!! (Sadly had to give up driving & his 2nd BX) but Mum still has a C1.
johnway
My Cars:

Re: 406 Radiator Fan Motor

Post by johnway »

Update : original motor repaired and working!! All brushes were broken, one brush holder broken off of circuit board, commutator burnt out and seized rear bearing (enough to trash it I thought for a while). However, throwing caution to the wind I canabalised the temporary motor for the necessary parts and after some deft soldering and re-assembly I now have a fully functioning 2 speed radiator fan again. Considering the price for a new one (£200+), I think my time was well spent, especially as I enjoyed the challenge. I have also ordered a universal fan motor which I will fit to the spare shroud which came with the temp. motor - be good to have a spare just in case.

All the best,
John.