crank and cam sensors mismatch p 1336

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

picassodad
My Cars: pug306, citroen picasso

crank and cam sensors mismatch p 1336

Post by picassodad »

A follow on from the lads coil pack and sprocket thread.

Plugs all good, cam belt and timing good apart form the exhaust cam belt sprocket problem, see picture in that thread.

Cam sensor is a 3 wire hall effect type according to intermotor part number 19032 needing a scope to check. The sensor is out and looks ok apart from some engine oil seeming to come from pin 3, so internals oiled up? and shorting inside???

The crank sensor is a 2 wire unit intermotor 18952 with a resistance of 400ohms. That is still in the engine for now, but will remove this afternoon.

The engine turns over nicely by hand ( socket and ratchet on crank bolt ) so hopefuly no mangled valves, but compressions to be check once exhaust cam belt sprocket condition clarified and "safe", for now.

I wonder if the head gasket has failed between 4 and 3, hence the black plugs?? but i am "trusting" the diagnostic code ( if you don't trust them you may as well throw the expensive kit in the bin ! ) verdict for now and testing the units rather than just replacing them.

We will report back with findings etc. so as to be of some help to others.....
picassodad
My Cars: pug306, citroen picasso

Re: crank and cam sensors mismatch p 1336

Post by picassodad »

To help others, car going well and after about 18 miles going around a roundabout, car starts to misfire badly and MIL light comes on.

If obd code p1336 is present and engine misfires and runs on 2 cylinders, take the precaution of checking cam belt timing and a compression check ( for us it was misfiring on 3 and 4, timing belt end ), and connections to ht coil and crank and cam sensors. Crank sensor is an induction type with 2 wires and magnet, an easy bench test, which may pass but not work as intended.

Cam sensor is a 3 wire hall effect and more involved.

Both sensors where replaced and cam timing checked etc. code cleared but still misfire and p1336.

It was suggested a new ht coil pack would clear the problem ( the ht coil pask was tested and seemed to be ok ) . We got a new coil pack and fitted and cleared fault and ha y presto, the bitch now runs on 4 cylinders again.