Engine Tapping Noises

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bick

Re: Engine Tapping Noises

Post by Bick »

Whats going on then Bingo 59??
Franek-36388
My Cars: Citroën C2 1.4hdi 2006 54kW (most likely) or 51kW

Re: Engine Very Loud Tapping Noises

Post by Franek-36388 »

Hi all sorry for my unreadable story 😔 I need help, my problem with my citroen c2 1.4hdi is that for a long time (1.5 months maybe) it has been left untouched in the minuses weather because that is my car when i get my drivers license which will be in like a month i live in germany. The car always hat a started problem (brushes gone) so we took it to a regeneration shop citroen, the starter in the engine rn is the original one with everything new. Basically two days ago i tried to start it cuz i wanted to drive with my dad in prep for my practical exam and in the gaps when im not driving, i wanted to start it so the battery (if not dead) could charge and the car to warm up, however when turning the key i went to the ignition place one click before starting the engine where all the instruments turn on, i was looking for the glow plug lamp because its a diesel but i couldn’t find it idk if i was partially blind that day or not however i still waited around 20 secs after most if not lights turned off, the engine struggled but it eventually turned over and as soon as it turned on i let go of the key as one normally does (i hope) but as soon as i did the engine stalled or just stopped i was in neutral with the clutch in and brakes. After that i tried to start it however i heard loud clicks, they sounded like the same when the starter was broken but im not a mechanic i just have ears. after my farther came home he tried starting it but said he heard loud bangs almost like the ‘pistons were hitting the roof’ he said and then said its scraps and should sell it asap for low price. after replacing the starter we drove it sometimes and he said that he’ll start it every now and then but maybe forgot but it ran okay there was and has been a loud and high pitched screeching noise for a long time now when starting (idk why and i have not questioned about it) but it hasn’t seemed to be a big problem because of the long time it has happened for. Please help as i said i couldn’t find a post option on a main forum page. On Saturday we’ll charge the battery using our main car and then try to start it. Please help if you have any knowledge. Thanks
darbuck
Donor 2023
My Cars: 2008 Citroen C5 X7 Tourer VTR+ (138 BHP)
2007 Nissan Primera P12 1.6 T-Spec (110BHP)
2003 Citroen C5 Estate level 2 (110 BHP) 2.0 HDI
2001 Nissan Maxima QX 2.0 V6

Post by darbuck »

RichardW wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 12:19
myglaren wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 04:21 If I recall correctly then Mandrake had a bit of a problem with hydraulic tappets a few years ago.
Can't remember the solution but I'm sure he will.
Simon had convinced himself that the tappets were at fault on his first V6, but moved the car on before he ever fully got to the bottom of it.
Paul-R wrote: 10 Jan 2019, 10:22 Might be completely wrong on this but I have a vague recollection of someone towing a car in gear to spin the engine and get oil pressure up.
Lighty has reported that he generally has to tow start 1.6 HDis after the cams have been out as the starter cannot build enough oil pressure in the lifters to get compression.

Back to the OP...

The early 1.6 HDis are not exactly unknown for oil supply problems - even in well maintained units. The first casualty is usually the turbo as the filter in the oil feed pipe is a) smaller and b) finer than the pick up in the sump. I rather suspect that is what is making the noise here - the shaft wears and the fins start to make contact with the housing causing all sorts of racket. If the oil pressure is low due to blocked sump pick up, then they tend to rattle for the first couple of seconds after start up, and there is a low knocking noise at idle - shortly after that the oil pressure light comes on! However, if the turbo oil filter is still fitted, the turbo will to toast long before that... A leaking injector can sound just like a worn cam lobe, and will result in exhaust fumes being sucked into the cabin. I would proceed as follows:

DO NOT drive it!
Pop off the air inlet to the turbo and check for play in the shaft. If there is more than barely detectable play then it's had it. I can tell you how to go about fixing it if this is the case.
If the turbo checks out, then I would drop the sump (not as hard as it sounds) and remove the oil pick and check the strainer. If it's got crud in it, then rip it out. Then remove the DPF and the turbo oil feed banjo bolt and rip the strainer out of the there. Put it all back together and see what it sounds like.
If it's still barking, then listen carefully to each of the injectors to see if they are chuffing.
If the top end is genuinely knackered, then I would either scrap it, or if the car is otherwise good, get another engine and drop it in. Getting the top off one of these can be a night mare if the injectors don't want to come out.
Agreed the problem is the oil flow and return filter gets clogged and flow is restricted I believe a pipe off something else was used to fix it but I can't recall off what. It does take the turbo out so it's not just the pipes that need changing if it is the cause. An engine won't typically come with a turbo. Check your dpf pressure is not backing up causing the tapping noise.injectors would be another possibility. Check cams for hot spot wear to check for oil starvation.
Darren
darbuck
Donor 2023

Re: Engine Very Loud Tapping Noises

Post by darbuck »

Franek-36388 wrote: 18 Jan 2024, 10:52 Hi all sorry for my unreadable story 😔 I need help, my problem with my citroen c2 1.4hdi is that for a long time (1.5 months maybe) it has been left untouched in the minuses weather because that is my car when i get my drivers license which will be in like a month i live in germany. The car always hat a started problem (brushes gone) so we took it to a regeneration shop citroen, the starter in the engine rn is the original one with everything new. Basically two days ago i tried to start it cuz i wanted to drive with my dad in prep for my practical exam and in the gaps when im not driving, i wanted to start it so the battery (if not dead) could charge and the car to warm up, however when turning the key i went to the ignition place one click before starting the engine where all the instruments turn on, i was looking for the glow plug lamp because its a diesel but i couldn’t find it idk if i was partially blind that day or not however i still waited around 20 secs after most if not lights turned off, the engine struggled but it eventually turned over and as soon as it turned on i let go of the key as one normally does (i hope) but as soon as i did the engine stalled or just stopped i was in neutral with the clutch in and brakes. After that i tried to start it however i heard loud clicks, they sounded like the same when the starter was broken but im not a mechanic i just have ears. after my farther came home he tried starting it but said he heard loud bangs almost like the ‘pistons were hitting the roof’ he said and then said its scraps and should sell it asap for low price. after replacing the starter we drove it sometimes and he said that he’ll start it every now and then but maybe forgot but it ran okay there was and has been a loud and high pitched screeching noise for a long time now when starting (idk why and i have not questioned about it) but it hasn’t seemed to be a big problem because of the long time it has happened for. Please help as i said i couldn’t find a post option on a main forum page. On Saturday we’ll charge the battery using our main car and then try to start it. Please help if you have any knowledge. Thanks
How long was it sitting before you tried to start it. The starter won't cause that, if it was sitting for a long time it would run like a bag of spanners for a few minutes.
Darren
Franek-36388

Post by Franek-36388 »

hey i forgot to me mention some important facts because im away from home. The battery is most likely dead from 1 month + but it’s fairly new as is the starter maybe 3 months (original tile). After i tried to start it which i did and right after the engine cut out, after this my dad tried starting it and said that there was a very loud banging, he said its from or like the pistons hitting the cylinder roof which he said was common within diesels and that the car is for the junkyard, but on saturday we’ll try to charge/jumpstart the car
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

See how you get on and let us know
Darren
Rp0thejester
Donor 2024
My Cars: C8 2.2 Hdi Exclusive

Post by Rp0thejester »

Ticking noise would suggest starter motor issue, screeching noise would suggest belts, not to much to worry about. As for loud banging I suggest looking under the bonnet to locate where the noise is coming from. If it was major the engine would of blown up by now. The noise could be coming from a defective engine mount etc
Ryan

'99 Xsara 1.6 X (Red) with Sunkissed bonnet. T59 SBX
'54 Astra Estate 1.7DTI (Artic White)
'06 C8 2.2Hdi Exclusive (Aster Grey)

Champion of Where's CitroJim :-({|=
Yes I ask the stupid questions, because normally it is that simple.
Franek-36388

Post by Franek-36388 »

as for the high pitched screeching when starting is there a spray for the belt or do i need to get it replaced? i will record the noise when i start it on saturday. Thanks
darbuck
Donor 2023

Post by darbuck »

It depends on whether the car has an automatic tensioner or adjustable if it's the latter adjust it. If not replace it it could be a bad tensioner or pulley. I wouldn't recommend belt spray but you could try it to check if the belt quietens down. If it doesn't it's something else
Darren
Franek-36388

Post by Franek-36388 »

ok thanks
Franek-36388

Post by Franek-36388 »

Update
Sorry for not posting i forgot that i posted this, i charged the batteries and it started. I drove it, it’s good. However i have some things to do before i use it as transport every day the things are: Alimentary of the wheels (no problem), but these next things i need advice on; when starting there’s a screeching when starting that i think the starter might be the culprit (maybe something came loose) however this has im guessing 1k - 3k kilometres, my friend said that he thinks it’s the belts and that i should buy a spray or smth but im not sure, i will try to attach a file with the car starting.
Next problem is that the clutch pedal; when i press it down, it goes some the first 1/3 without any resistance and it’s quite challenging to find the biting point, definitely a lot different from my new vw tiguan. The break pedal had the same problem but it’s not the worse.
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 13 Mar 2024, 13:28, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed Zip File - Please use a link to a Youtube video instead