THP Engine fault 2192, 2191

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lancia58
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Xantia 2.0 16V Automatic make year 2000 LHD
Citroen C4 THP Automatic make year 2009 LHD
Citroen C4 VTS 2.0 16V make year 2006 LHD

THP Engine fault 2192, 2191

Post by lancia58 »

Hi

My car is C4 make year 2009 with AL4 auto gear box with 70,000 KM ( 43,750 Miles )

In continuation to my post at the following link

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=61134

I got the car from the garage after the timing was tuned and it drove great for around 80 KM , then the turbo went into limp mode. Drove the car back to the garage and the following fault were found

P2191 - Mixture regulation to lean
P2192 - Mixture regulation to reach

The mechanic ( one that knows this engine like his hand ) checked for air/vacuum leaks and didn't find any thing. He thinks of detaching the throttle and see if it is clogged a bit with carbon , thing that may cause the ECU to make wrong mixture. The problem is that the fault appears after a long drive and so it is hard to know if what he fixes sorts the problem.

I noticed that the turbo turns into limp mode when the car stops ( automatic gear AL4 ). I mean that as long as the car is in motion the turbo works and it will turn into limp mode when I stop at a traffic light. I am not sure if all time like this but at least 90% of the times it turns into limp modes is when the car is idling when I stop at a traffic light

The timing was changed in January 2016 due to a recall RCL0184. So I guess the timing components are OK and the mechanic said the same. He checked all timing components when he tuned the timing.

I browsed the net and found the following that relates these errors to a timing problem.

https://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/30 ... ndex5.html

I saw another thread that relates it to a timing problem. In this thread it was written that the timing pulley of the camshaft and crankshaft are not pined to the camshaft or crankshaft and are held in place by the friction when the bolt is tightened. As a result the pulley can slightly shifts causing a small miss- timing that can not be detected by the crankshaft and camshaft sensor but the result is the above errors. It was written in the thread that Peugeot dealer said the above. That may explain the "big" timing shift I had ( described it in the link to the thread at the top of this post ) . Maybe something is wrong with the timing gear that caused the engine stall due to timing problem. May most of the times it is a slight timing shift and sometimes it is a big shift causing engine stall.

Idling is sooth, but when starting to drive there is a slight hesitation, the mechanic said it might be due to carbonation of the inlet valves but he thinks that it is still not at the point that the inlet valves should be cleaned

The following ling may indicate bad injector/s

http://www.ds3club.co.uk/forum/ds3/ds3- ... 0159-p2191

Any ideas how to sort/diagnose the problem ? The car is almost three weeks in the garage

Thanks
Zohar
Last edited by lancia58 on 10 Nov 2018, 10:12, edited 1 time in total.
Xantia 2.0 16V Automatic make year 2000 LHD
lancia58
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Xantia 2.0 16V Automatic make year 2000 LHD

Re: THP Engine fault 2192, 2177

Post by lancia58 »

Some more information: When the timing was serviced the car had 30,000 KM now it has 70,000 KM.

The mechanic also raised an assumption that maybe there is an ECU update that enlarges the range allowed to fluctuations in the fuel mixture. Up till Jan 2016 it was serviced in an authorized Citroen garage. I Can read the ECU program version but can not know when it was downloaded/updated. Anyone has a list of ECU versions and the dates they were issued

Thanks
Zohar
Xantia 2.0 16V Automatic make year 2000 LHD