Replacing throttle cable 2003 c5 hdi...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

numnuts

Replacing throttle cable 2003 c5 hdi...

Post by numnuts »

Hi guys. The plastic clip that holds the throttle cable to the top of the accelerator pedal on my trusty old C5, snapped recently...was on the M6 at the time, so quite an arse twitcher of an experience. The recovery guy managed to do a temp fix with a cable tie to bind the cable to the pedal. I now need to replace it and would appreciate some advice please. I plan on just replacing the inner cable by feeding it through the existing outer sleeve. Is it difficult to thread through from the footwell? Will I need to remove the drivers seat to get access without being a contortionist? Will I need to get underneath the car or can it be done via the engine bay? Etc etc. Any pointers will be gratefully received. Thanks in advance.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Replacing throttle cable 2003 c5 hdi...

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There was a later modification to models with a mechanical accelerator cable, where they switched over to the 'drive by wire' electrical version. This involved making a cut into the bulkhead sound proofing to fit the new accelerator support that the new accelerator assembly then fits onto. The cable was replaced with an electrical harness that you then had to make the electrical connections from the supplied kit, solder and crimp, then connect up.

However there are still mechanical cables available should you just want to replace it - there are no specific instructions, so I guess you will just have to 'feel' your way'. Here is the parts diagram, with No 5 being the replacement cable you need.

Citroen offer 2 - an original one: Part number 1629F8, priced £46.46 inc. VAT
or a cheaper version: Part no E074606, priced at £28.69 inc. VAT.
C5 MK I Accelerator Cable.PNG
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc