03 plate undertray and owners manual

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

picassodad
My Cars: pug306, citroen picasso

03 plate undertray and owners manual

Post by picassodad »

Thanks marc......

the lad is chasing the owners manual on e bay......

please could you show the exploded view of the possible engine undertray for this car, it did not come out of the factory with one ?

There are several types shown on e bay but a picture of the proper one is gunna really help.

I imagine the proper undertay will have a centre section hole for sump cooling ??

Thanks...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: 03 plate undertray and owners manual

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes, this model did not have the underbody protection - not available for the petrol engine. As they are all different and moulded for the different engines, they need to fit the right engine type, so as none are listed for the petrol engine at all - there's no point in showing them I guess. :)
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
picassodad

Post by picassodad »

Thanks for that, i will make one then with a "hole" for sump cooling.
oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Post by oscar »

Best way is with some sheet alloy once shaped/cut to fit bond some thin plywood if need be to absorb flex and vibrations
Fixings for diesel model should fit might need some spire type clips where fixes?

Find a tray from somewhere or borrow from someones car! to make a template with likes of brown paper.
If was this way could have mine
Fake Concern
My Cars:

Post by Fake Concern »

Why do you want an undertray?
Fake Concern, Volvo C30 T5 2011
Mrs Concern, Renault Moodus 1.6 Privilege 2004
Ms Concern No1, Pug 207 1.4 2008
Ms Concern No2, Citroen C4 VTS 2007
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

Why do you want the hassle of an undertray? If it didn’t come from the factory with one, it doesn’t need one.
picassodad

Post by picassodad »

Yeh, quite, but the aux drive belt area is exposed and just asking to ingest some road debris etc....i have my eye on some dumped alloy sheet on some waste ground, thats big enough to make a bespoke under tray. I will make it so its easy to remove and hassle free for oil and filter changes etc.....
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Undertrays are usually made from something like 3mm thick heavy black vinyl-like material - similar to a thick floor covering. This is acoustically dead (won't vibrate), will take knocks etc from stones, and won't rust/corrode.
If making something up for yourself, would suggest doing it in cardboard first, and when the shape is right, copy it to the final material.
I do understand why you think this is a good idea: keeps road grot out of the engine/subframe/electrics, and protects vulnerable belts.
Last one I bought new (for XM 2.5TD) was €300 (around 10 years ago), so DIY is an attractive option.
You might find a scrap diesel one for your car somewhere, which could be modified. Subframe shape might (might) be same sort of shape.
Chris
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

A word of caution - the OEM ones are made of a more flexible material so that if / when they come off in an accident or through catching or hitting something, they minimise damage to the engine components / pedestrians, as flying sheet metal can be lethal - so I would be aware of that and advise against it. Metal ones may interfere with the 'crumple zones' or the design of the front of the vehicle to absorb an impact and deform in an accident as intended.

I've had the original standard plastic moulded ones come off after some debris on the road hit at speed and that made a hell of a racket and caused the front part to come off downwards and the wind drag caused the front to hit the road and then it catapulted and flew off - so a metal one could be lethal. I think mine through routine servicing invariably had some clips missing - common enough it seems, but regardless I still wouldn't recommend it. I wouldn't like to think of the possible legal ramifications if you did cut somebody to shreds.

Here's an example of a metal one somebody obviously fitted as this is definitely not standard equipment! [-X

Their main function is to protect certain vulnerable parts of diesel engines (especially HDis) according to Citroen, that's why the petrol ones don't have them.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
white exec
Moderating Team
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Useful distinction between an undertray and a sump protector.
Forgot to mention that one of the functions of the diesel model undertrays* is to reduce engine noise (at idle/slow speed) for pedestrians.
A metal one could have the reverse effect, of actually reflecting engine noise upward, rather than allowing it to get lost towards the road surface and general airflow; not a good idea.
* which can also have sound-absorbing foam on the upper side of the tray
Chris
oscar
Location: London near that big building with the flashing light!
My Cars: 2001 Xsara Picasso 2.0 HDi

Post by oscar »

white exec wrote: 01 Nov 2018, 10:58 Useful distinction between an undertray and a sump protector.
Forgot to mention that one of the functions of the diesel model undertrays* is to reduce engine noise (at idle/slow speed) for pedestrians.
A metal one could have the reverse effect, of actually reflecting engine noise upward, rather than allowing it to get lost towards the road surface and general airflow; not a good idea.
* which can also have sound-absorbing foam on the upper side of the tray

thats why i said stick something to it but aluminium is quite good at sound absorbsion as soft so deforms enough in an impact reason rally cars have theres made from it
If caught hard enough will pull through fixings and deform and could even rivet a scoop in front end of it as gives you room for being creative
One thing is to brace across it from each side so unlike the plastic ones don't hum at speed as they often flap up n down which then leads to fastenings coming adrift as seen loads doing it on motorways etc
picassodad

Post by picassodad »

A tray to stop road debris/water/road salt etc. from becoming involved with the aux drive belt, and to keep the under engine/engine bay area slightly cleaner, rather than a full bash plate, its a road car not a rally car.

Under tray on the pug fitted as standard works a treat on that car. Its been repaired as some of the plastic had broken/cracked etc., and the front of the tray is held on with some 22 cable ties. The rest of it is held on with oe clips ( 4 ) and 2 bolts with washers.
white exec
Moderating Team

Post by white exec »

Just noticed that there are a huge number of (diesel) car undertrays on the web, some as little as £30, and made from what looks like OE spec HDPE.
Might be worth a search, eg for a 306 D item, if a petrol version is not offered.
Chris
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

picassodad wrote: 02 Nov 2018, 11:15 A tray to stop road debris/water/road salt etc. from becoming involved with the aux drive belt, and to keep the under engine/engine bay area slightly cleaner, rather than a full bash plate, its a road car not a rally car.

I had one on my Berlingo, same engine, same auxillary belt positioning. It didn't really have any effect for the above - the belts, even though they look exposed stay pretty clean, even in the depths of manky winter. Mine did 80k in my ownership, on one belt, despite only having the undertray on for the first 6 months of my ownership. The Picasso I am looking after at the moment, a 2.0HDi has one, which amazingly for an 03 plate, is still all there and has all the fasteners!