Citroen xsara Picasso 2004

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tribe123
My Cars: Citroen xsara Picasso 2004

Citroen xsara Picasso 2004

Post by Tribe123 »

Please help!?!

My main beam lights aren't working at all and I've been told it needs a new comms unit and quoted 300 for it.
Is this the case, am I able to get them working by spending any less by getting a recon/refurbed unit and asking them to fit that or will I need a new part? Would it work out cheaper for me to get the part myself or just let the garage get?
I have little car knowledge but my MOT is due in a few weeks so I need to sort as soon as I can if anyone can advise please
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Citroen xsara Picasso 2004

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Before you do that I would strongly suggest you replace the bulbs. It is extremely common for these to go simultaneously on the Xsara Picasso, often leaving people to replace the comms unit unnecessarily.

Even if the bulb looks good, it surely will be the cheapest and easiest option before a comms unit. Replace both first and check either cabin fuses or the engine fuse depending on year.

Only if you are completely sure it is the comms unit, these will often need coding to your vehicle, depending on your year and option level. There are literally hundreds of these units and the correct one is essential. Pop up your VIN code and I can get the part for you in readiness.

It is often easier to get the garage to do this for you as the steering wheel and airbag need removing and if you have ESP, you will have the steering wheel angle sensor that is very sensitive - any disturbance and it may also require recallibrating.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Yes definitely confirm the bulbs & fuses are ok first. What I find mostly happens is that one bulb has been gone for ages & you don't notice till the other one goes, of course people think the have both gone at the same time so must be some sort of electrical fault when more often than not its just 2 blown bulbs.
Does the tell tale light on the dash illuminate when you operate the main beam?
As far as programming the Com2000 units goes It's only models with ESP that need any sort of programming, even then its only to calibrate the steering angle sensor (which is an integral part of the unit). If you fit the new unit without calibrating the steering angle sensor the car will start ok & the lights/wipers will operate as normal but the ESP light will remain on till it's calibrated so you can still drive it somewhere to get this done.
Models without ESP are plug & play.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I have to say that our C3 without ESP did need coding. It was a brand new one, not a refurb so needed initialising, as things like the air bag and pretensioner settings can change and throw up diagnostic code errors. We ordered ours and had it fitted at our Citroen dealer and the technician I have known for 30 years also confirmed that it needed coding. That may not be the case with a used identical part for the same specification vehicle, but certainly was the case for our new Comms unit.

Marc
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

May be the case on a newer model C3? Don’t think i have ever fitted one that i can think of off hand but i have fitted more com2000 units than i could even remember to Xsara’s, Xsara picassos, mk 1 C5’s, mk 2 Berlingos, mk1 C2’s & C3’s & i can say 110% that they dont need any programming with Lexia/Diag box unless they have ESP.
Ive never even seen any telecoding options in a com2000 menu on Lexia. Calibration of the steering angle sensor is done via the ESP system menu.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes that was my understanding too, but I wasn't going to argue with him as he has all the qualifications and is now the Customer Service Manager :-D

Marc
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Customer service manager = expert bullsh***er

I suppose they have to try & justify massive labour costs with ‘programming’
Tribe123
My Cars: Citroen xsara Picasso 2004

Post by Tribe123 »

Thank you everyone for replying.
He car was sold to my folks who didn't check the main beam worked when buying it. They took it to their usual Bosch service centre who said it needed the comms unit so I'd hope they had checked bulbs and fuses but would it still be worth while to do myself I guess?
The vin is VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] for any further help if possible
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok I have your data.

Yes, absolutely check the bulbs first - however a diagnostic will tell you if the Comms unit has failed. If you are sure that the Comms Unit has failed, then in the table below is the unit , Item (1) with brand new prices from Citroen.

There is a company that sell both new and reconditioned units here:

Comms Units Aftermarket Link

(I have already searched the part number for you). They do a reconditioned unit for £120 and a new one for £180 - but you would still need to get it fitted and that will involve removing the steering wheel, airbag unit and connections etc. You don't have cruise control, so no need to worry about that stalk (number 5), but you would need to retain the old Remote Audio control stalk on the bottom right (number 8 in the diagram). The new Comms Unit will come with new indicator and Lighting stalks. Your vehicle doesn't have ESP, so no multiplexed Steering Wheel angle sensor to calibrate - but I can't guarantee it won't need coding... I would get a complete quote for supply and fit from Citroen (give then the part number below in the table) and then ask them for a price to fit only if you supply the part.

Xsara Picasso Comms 2000.PNG
Part No: 6242C3, price £280.93 inc. VAT direct from Citroen
Several things to point out:
  • If you opt for a second hand one off ebay or elsewhere, there is no guarantee how long that will last and then has to be removed and refitted all over again if it fails.
  • If you get a new one from an aftermarket supplier and get it fitted elsewhere (Citroen or otherwise) there is always the possibility of a failure and so again will cost in labour to remove it and refit a replacement.
  • Having it supplied and fitted by the main dealer will provide some comeback with the part as they supplied and fitted it.
Just a few things to consider, but ultimately down to your choice. :)

Marc
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Tribe123 wrote: 16 Sep 2018, 20:44 Please help!?!
My main beam lights aren't working at all and I've been told it needs a new comms unit and quoted 300 for it.
GiveMeABreak wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 15:08
Xsara Picasso Comms 2000.PNG
Part No: 6242C3, price £280.93 inc. VAT direct from Citroen
Being able to switch your main beam on and off must have been an absolute nightmare for Citroen electrical engineers and designers to solve. Thank goodness they came up with such an economical solution.

(Has anyone invented a decent sarcasm emoticon? I need to use it from time to time :-D )

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ahhh, but of course if it were only main beam Neil....

Marc
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 23 Sep 2018, 15:08 but I can't guarantee it won't need coding...

I can guarantee it wont need coding :wink1:
Memphis
New User
My Cars: 2004 xara picasso

Post by Memphis »

Hi my headlamps have decided to not switch off, they switch on main and ful beam appear to be aok but they now do not switch off at all, (they have played up before but a few turns of the on/off switch and they'd switch off) as a consequence if I drive anywhere and haave to use the lights I now have to lift up the passenger seat and disconnect the battery to switch them of and stop the battery draining, fun times :)

looking at the fuse box in the engine bay I've got the board that means the lights are controlled by the comm2000 unit, how do i check which unit is compatible with my model? (others have stated that the models on ebay may not be compatible) and how do i check if it has to be calibrated?

saw a link in the forum to here - https://www.peugeotpartsforsale.com/ind ... rch=6242C3
so can buy a refurbed one but not sure if anything else other than swapping it in for the old one is needed

all help gratefully received
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Comms units are very specific, so you will need to ensure you get the correct one.

If you can't already find the info you need on the Forum, we do ask for a membership upgrade for official parts data as we are in turn charged for this. It will cover you for future parts requests for up to 2 years, so excellent value.

If interested, links are below, then pop your VIN up.
A response to your question by a Forum Admin requiring parts or additional information requires you to have made a current contribution (£10 min.) to the Forum.
To Upgrade Your Membership & Donate Click Here

For Further Information About Vehicle Parts and VIN Numbers Click Here

Marc
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

Memphis wrote: 16 Feb 2023, 13:33

looking at the fuse box in the engine bay I've got the board that means the lights are controlled by the comm2000 unit, how do i check which unit is compatible with my model? (others have stated that the models on ebay may not be compatible) and how do i check if it has to be calibrated?
It will only need calibration with diagnostics if the car is equipped with ESP, if the car has ESP there will be a deactivation switch on the dash above the radio. There is also an extra electrical connector on the comms unit that is blue on ESP models.
If it doesent have ESP then its a straight swap, no programming needed.
If going down the used route just match up the spec.
With or without ESP is the most important part to match up
with or without auto lights & wipers.
With or without rear wiper.
with or without button for trip computer.
With or without front fog lamps (not that important as the front fogs will still work even if you get one from a model without)
The radio controls & cruise control (if fitted) stalks are seperate parts & you just swap them over from your old unit.