08 c5 clutch change

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kennatt
My Cars: Citroen c5 estate

08 c5 clutch change

Post by kennatt »

Hi all I am about to change the clutch (Full kit bearing pressure ,friction and dmf) I have read that it is also essential to replace the fork and pivot pin,but a well known X citroen garage mechanic ,now independent ,says not essential, any one know the true recommendation ,don't want to have to pull box a second time, I have the clutch kit but no pivot or forks included ,the suppliers says they don,t get asked for them . Thank in anticipation of some knowledgeable person replying.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: 08 c5 clutch change

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi and welcome.

The official recommendation is to always replace the clutch bearing when replacing the clutch mechanism or the clutch disc - that is as written in the service documentation. There is no specific mention of the fork or pivot pin.

Also, another recommendation - in order to improve the centring of the friction plate and to eliminate engine jerks, vibrations and noise, compress the clutch mechanism when tightening the fixing bolts.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Simple76
My Cars: Citroen Bx

Post by Simple76 »

No need to replace fork or pivot pin . However would change gearbox drive shaft seals when gearbox out.
kennatt
My Cars: Citroen c5 estate

Post by kennatt »

Ok done the clutch full kit,no major problems,but whilst under car found that at some time (Only had car for 6 months) a dodgy type of repair has been carried out to the pipe that runs along the front of the car and up the nearside,I think its the power steering return ,Its been done to the aluminum pipe near the subframe, obviously been broken at some stage ,think I read on here somewhere that its a common failure caused by chaffing of the pipe inside a clip ,A short piece of rubber pipe has been hoses clipped over the break ,There is a very slight weep from this joint. So a couple of questions.

Is this pipe the low pressure return from rack.
what pressure is it carrying
and is this type of repair acceptable don't like the look of it myself
any one repaired this pipe
Was wondering if suitable size compression type fitting would be better
Any idea as to the price of a new pipe
Thanks
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Whilst I can't answer your pressure related questions, it's worth bearing in mind that there is a - rubber pipe over aluminium pipe clipped with a hose clip - as standard on these power steering return pipes. I've got a spare pipe at home so can put up a picture of what it's supposed to look like when I get back later today.
IIRC, there was a recall or modification to be carried out where the pipe was secured to the chassis / subframe, but I think it's on the offside (though I could easily be wrong on that - perhaps Marc (GMAB) could check?)
For context - in MOT terms, a small leak is acceptable whereas a leak that leaves a puddle within a few minutes would be a fail.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(