Absolute Filth! Inlet manifold carbon buildup and cleaning.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Bandit12
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: C5 X7 diesel exclusive

Re: Absolute Filth! Inlet manifold carbon buildup and cleaning.

Post by Bandit12 »

Wow that is filthy! but what a cool video with the blowtorch :-)
I had my previous C5 diesel terra cleaned and that certainly made a huge difference in power and throttle response but nothing beats satisfaction of taking something apart and cleaning by hand. Well done. :-)
2002 Citroen C5 2.2Hdi exclusive estate (sadly gone) :(
2009 Citroën C5 X7 2.0 hdi (136bhp) exclusive estate (Oh wow what an upgrade) 8-)
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

If they weren't so expensive I'd rather buy a new inlet manifold! Cleaning it was awful (I'm still stained by the gunk on my hands despite days of scrubbing :twisted: )

It was very satisfying clearing the 'throat' of the car, I just hope it appreciates my suffering :rofl2:

On a serious note, it's easy to see how EGR can increase the wear on an engine. All of that carbon soot entering the cylinders and being washed into the sump where it can abrade all of the bearing surfaces and piston bores.
picassodad
My Cars: pug306, citroen picasso

Post by picassodad »

I am a bit suprised the alloy manifold did'nt melt! Had an almera with very blocked inlet tracks........modern cars need a good blast down the motorway to keep them "clean"....
Skymac
New User
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 HDI, 136 HP, 2011 year

Post by Skymac »

Can you please send me a link if there's a video or instructions of how to get the Inlet Manifold out? Thank you.
nightmarec5
My Cars: 2009 Citroen C5 Exclusive Tourer 2.0HDI

Post by nightmarec5 »

Just got done with the manifold, it's a dirty tiring job but it was worth it, throttle response has improved and the car idles smoother. I'll include the instructions below.

-unclip both crankcase vent hoses ( black ones)

-Unclip egr pipe where it attaches on the manifold, no need to remove the whole thing

-unscrew the 3 airdoser screws. The one on the bottom was a pain to remove so I cut down an Allen key (5) so it could fit.

-remove camshaft sensor, just 1 tiny screw (number 4 Allen) then move the cables out the way

-pull the 4 injector return pipes off ( short black ones) and move them out of the way

-unclip the long silver vacuum pipe that attaches on the back of the manifold

-theres a small clip attached to the middle rear of the manifold, unclip this.

-Unscrew the 19 inlet manifold bolts( all 10mm) there are 3 different sizes so don't mix them up

-wiggle the manifold out then clean

That's how I did it, but take extreme care to not drop any screws or sockets Into the head/inlet ports

Edit: I am a lazy idiot, my decision to not replace the seals has come back to bite me in the back, one of them starting leaking, and it has left a small pool of oil after just 30 miles. I'll need to take everything apart again ☹️
Attachments
Tightening sequence
Tightening sequence
Disaster189
My Cars: Citroen c6

Post by Disaster189 »

nightmarec5 wrote: 19 Feb 2024, 19:11 Just got done with the manifold, it's a dirty tiring job but it was worth it, throttle response has improved and the car idles smoother. I'll include the instructions below.

-unclip both crankcase vent hoses ( black ones)

-Unclip egr pipe where it attaches on the manifold, no need to remove the whole thing

-unscrew the 3 airdoser screws. The one on the bottom was a pain to remove so I cut down an Allen key (5) so it could fit.

-remove camshaft sensor, just 1 tiny screw (number 4 Allen) then move the cables out the way

-pull the 4 injector return pipes off ( short black ones) and move them out of the way

-unclip the long silver vacuum pipe that attaches on the back of the manifold

-theres a small clip attached to the middle rear of the manifold, unclip this.

-Unscrew the 19 inlet manifold bolts( all 10mm) there are 3 different sizes so don't mix them up

-wiggle the manifold out then clean

That's how I did it, but take extreme care to not drop any screws or sockets Into the head/inlet ports

Edit: I am a lazy idiot, my decision to not replace the seals has come back to bite me in the back, one of them starting leaking, and it has left a small pool of oil after just 30 miles. I'll need to take everything apart again ☹️
Good job!

Do you know what the correct torque is for all the screws?
Disaster189
My Cars: Citroen c6

Post by Disaster189 »

I answer, 9nm