Absolute Filth! Inlet manifold carbon buildup and cleaning.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Absolute Filth! Inlet manifold carbon buildup and cleaning.

Post by EDC5 »

Earlier today I removed my Air Doser and whilst I was there I decided to peer into the inlet manifold.

I'll let the video speak for itself:

So there is obviously a lot of carbon / oil build-up in the inlet manifold. I shudder to think of what the valve ports look like :oops:

This is by no means unusual, the combination of EGR soot with the oil naturally present in the intake forms a sort of tar that is very sticky and probably no good for the engine should a lump detach and make its way into the cylinder.

I cleaned as much out as i could reach however it's clear the whole thing is caked in the stuff. I think it's a good idea to remove the inlet manifold and clean it fully as well as try and scrape as much tar from the inlet ports a possible too.

Unfortunately the inlet manifold is combined with the rocker cover so I doubt if it's a simple job to remove, in addition, I will have to use new seals when reinstalling so it won't be a particularly cheap job either.

New seals around £20 to £30:

I think it will be well worth it and help the engine breathe a bit better.

Guide on repalcing the inlet manifold:

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Absolute Filth! Inlet manifold carbon buildup and cleaning.

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I couldn’t help notice that when he was putting those new o ring type seals on, there seemed to be a load of that tar caked inside, so didn’t look as if he had even bothered to clean it up first. Useful video even if half of it was taken up with adverts / channel promotion. Never mind 👍
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Exactly! I can only assume the valve ports are similarly caked on the inside of the head too.

The car hasn't even done 60k miles yet so I wonder how bad it has to get before the performance really suffers?

The channel that has the video for seal changes, Ajusa, have a few really detailed videos about the DW10B engine, quite interesting to watch.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Yes all useful Elis, thanks for posting.

Marc
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

An insane amount of clogging deposit. Did those who designed this system not foresee this happening? And how would such be dealt with under a certain other manufacturer's seven-year warranty?

This leaves me almost speechless: how a piece of highly-engineered engine could be (presumably) deliberately designed to compromise itself. I guess that aero-engine jets are not similarly hobbled.

This is all down to EGR, I suppose. If so, it's no wonder a good few of us seriously question the wisdom of it.
One thing's for sure: the ICE is set to literally choke itself to death, as we switch to all-electric power. What a way for a remarkable technology to bow out . . .
Chris
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

One of my workmates - the one with the Juke, knows someone who has a Hydrogen engine cleaning machine.
Had his done and reports improved performance and economy.
He also mentioned a Corsa the became like a factory fresh model with near-zero emissions.
I remain sceptical but it may be worth a try.

Hydrogen Engine Cleaning

As mine has just gone through it's MOT with no emission problems* (bit of a surprise) it won't be any time soon for me.

*Many, many short trips but it has just been on a Scottish tour which may have helped.

I did have the previous one cleaned - all the pipes, EGR and manifold. Made a tremendous difference.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

It's a very interesting point, a lot of the reliability of the diesel engine has been lost due to EGR. I'd say, as a technology, it's fundamentally flawed. I think the SCR and adblue technology should replace EGR as a concept in the future but for now we're stuck with it :(

I’m looking forward to cleaning the manifold out but am quite apprehensive about what I might find deeper in the manifold. I'd better get a couple more cans of carb cleaner just in case :rofl2:
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

myglaren wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 21:39 One of my workmates - the one with the Juke, knows someone who has a Hydrogen engine cleaning machine.
Had his done and reports improved performance and economy.
He also mentioned a Corsa the became like a factory fresh model with near-zero emissions.
I remain sceptical but it may be worth a try.

Hydrogen Engine Cleaning

With my chemist's hat on I'm a touch sceptical about this. It certainly wouldn’t be able to clean the manifold up as what's need there is a solvent.

Potentially by injecting hydrogen and oxygen into the combustion chamber it may burn hotter for the duration of the cleaning; potentially shifting the carbon deposits in the cylinder and on the underside of the valve. But it won’t touch the carbon sludge pre-cylinder.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Agreed.

I think this looks a much better approach

white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

When XM diesels acquired EGR, official company fuel consumption figures worsened by about 2mpg, apparently, although this was never acknowledged officially in Evolution pages.
Have seen enough of older PSA diesel engines to know that inlet systems, and combustion chambers, could run for topside of 180,000 miles (in the case of our BX19RD) virtually clean, with only the lightest of soot deposit 'decoke-able' with a simple wipe with a cloth, and nothing that wouldn't shift itself with a good motorway run with decent fuel.
Chris
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Blowtorch / flamethrower looks to be very effective... shame the inlet manifold is plastic on these engines :lol:
white exec wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 22:12 When XM diesels acquired EGR, official company fuel consumption figures worsened by about 2mpg, apparently, although this was never acknowledged officially in Evolution pages.
Have seen enough of older PSA diesel engines to know that inlet systems, and combustion chambers, could run for topside of 180,000 miles (in the case of our BX19RD) virtually clean, with only the lightest of soot deposit 'decoke-able' with a simple wipe with a cloth, and nothing that wouldn't shift itself with a good motorway run with decent fuel.
That doesn't surprise me, it’s hard to justify the lower economy for the lifetime of the vehicle along with the reduction of performance from the clogged intake system for a marginal reduction in pollution.

In addition, all of that soot passing straight into the cylinders is going to wear the engine out really fast due to simple abrasion, and that's before some of the soot gets dissolved in the oil and makes its way around the engine wearing every metal to metal surface (bearings, cams, etc.) :twisted:

Ask yourself: what is the point of having an air filter if the EGR is going to pump particles of soot directly into the cylinders.. its madness really.
wurlycorner
My Cars: Two C5's...
Lots of CXs...
A couple of Xantia...
A C2...
Lots of Prelude's...
And a Sunny!

Post by wurlycorner »

EDC5 wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 23:13 Ask yourself: what is the point of having an air filter if the EGR is going to pump particles of soot directly into the cylinders.. its madness really.

Different kind of particulates than general air born stuff (exhaust gasses known not to cause contamination/scoring etc).

They really should add a walnut blast/de-coke to the planned service intervals though. At least that's being upfront about it.
--
Iain

1x '85 CX GTi Turbo s1 (metallic blue)
2x '85 CX GTi Turbo s2 t1 (metallic silver & grey)
'88 CX GTi Turbo s2 T2 (metallic light blue)
CX DTR T2 Safari (silver)
2x '96 Xantia Activa (Black & metallic green)
'01 C5 2.0 HDi LX Estate (Blue)
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

I wish that were the case, unfortunately it appears that soot is not only abrasive, it removes the anti-wear coating layer that the engine oil lays on the metal surfaces.

https://link.springer.com/article/10.10 ... 016-0704-9

That link above has a lot of interesting info regarding EGR and engine wear, it even proposes that the soot can block oil ways throughout the engine. We know this to be true from the failure modes of the 1.4 and 1.6 HDi engines.
EDC5
(Donor 2020)

Post by EDC5 »

Finally got around to removing the inlet manifold / rocker cover to inspect the sludge buildup.
Overall, not as bad as I feared. Whilst there was a lot of gunk in the manifold, the ports in the head didn't seem too bad, probably only a couple of mm of restriction on the walls.

That said, cleaning the manifold was a horrible job. The carbon sludge had to be scraped out by hand, petrol only helped somewhat as it was that thick that it turned the very thin petrol as thick as motor oil.

I would have liked to have powerwashed it, however, with the oil/air separator being part of the inlet manifold I didn't want to get water in that as it would contaminate the engine oil if not completely dry.

Removing it was a bit fiddly but following the instructions (kindly provided by Marc) I was able to do it within an hour. It requires the removal of the Camshaft position sensor, air doser unit, EGR pipe and crankcase ventilation hoses.

Here are some pictures of what I found.
20180828_112136582_iOS.jpg
20180828_112226505_iOS.jpg
20180828_112229108_iOS.jpg
20180828_112230676_iOS.jpg
20180828_112234746_iOS.jpg
20180828_112249219_iOS.jpg
20180828_112252756_iOS.jpg
20180828_112256893_iOS.jpg
Below I show how I got to the places I couldn't reach with a toothbrush or my hand. Pulling a petrol soaked rag through every port until no more gunge came through.
20180828_131012814_iOS.jpg
All clean, fitted a new set of seals and rocker cover gasket.
20180828_141648474_iOS.jpg
Refitting took about 20 mins; a lot quicker as the procedure was still in memory.

After refitting the manifold I took it for a drive to ensure that everything had sealed OK.
I haven't noticed an improvement in performance however I was expecting the gunk buildup to be much worse before starting out so from that point of view I'm not disappointed; at least I know it's clean now.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Great post Elis, thanks for taking the pics - bound to be a help to others.

Marc