Depollution system faulty

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kaspog13
My Cars: My Car; CITROEN C4 Picasso vtr+ 2007 model 1.8 Engine petrol 5 doors
58,100 k miles

Re: Depollution system faulty

Post by kaspog13 »

Hi my car was stop last night in a motorway while im driving,its says in the dash DIPOLLUTION SYSTEM FAULTY the engine is lumpy and the engine backfire and no power but its still the engine started.i encounter this already same fault last month,ill bring it to garage,the EGR is new they change oil, new air filter,oil filter,polen filter,spark plugs new..and when i used my car going to chester its drive very well when i come back home in the motorway this is the problem again Depollution system faulty and i stop in the hard shoulder engine warning sign blinking and p sign and service sign. So i turned off the engine for 5mins and start the engine again still the warning sign there,when i reving the pedal its missfiring and continue to rev the pedal,its running going to my home but when i off accelerating the pedal i can fell its not good untill i arrive at home. This morning i start the engine the fault is still the same..can you tell me whats fault in this car as i read inthis site about the same problem? Please help me to resolve this problem thanks..
kaspog13
My Cars: My Car; CITROEN C4 Picasso vtr+ 2007 model 1.8 Engine petrol 5 doors
58,100 k miles

Post by kaspog13 »

hi there whats wrong withe my car its says in the dashboard depollution system faulty,,,its new change oil new oil filter,air filter,polen fiter,egr valve new,spark plug new,and its says the problem the depollution system faulty..can you give me an idea or advice what's wrong on this car what is the problem on this?
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

There can be any number of reasons for a depollution fault. The only way to diagnose it would be to put her onto a Lexia to read off the fault codes. There are Forum members who have such a device, and are willing to help;

viewtopic.php?f=19&t=56452
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

kaspog13 wrote: 05 Dec 2018, 10:21 hi there whats wrong withe my car its says in the dashboard depollution system faulty,,,its new change oil new oil filter,air filter,polen fiter,egr valve new,spark plug new,and its says the problem the depollution system faulty..can you give me an idea or advice what's wrong on this car what is the problem on this?

There can be any number of reasons - and guessing isn't going to be helpful - that's why you need to have the fault codes read.

Without the fault codes is could be anything related to the air or fuel system, coil pack, oxygen sensors, etc., so would be fruitless without a diagnostic (and preferably a Lexia / Diagbox system).

A 1.8 will be a petrol, engine, do you have the VIN handy?
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Crisma95
My Cars: Citroen C4

Post by Crisma95 »

Hi,
I have a citroen C4 Picasso 1.6HDi VTR+. It passed the MOT this July and one day I turned it on and it said that there was a risk of particule filter but when in the highway, the fuel dropped to 1/4 of tank and then the “service” light went on. I added more fuel in case that there was a fuel pressure fault but didn’t work. Now the light is still on and it is saying “depollution system faulty”. I’ve tried to go on the highway with 3000-4000rpm for more than 30 min and I’ve added some “dpf cleaning product” in the tank and it keeps saying the same.
I tried to contact people that has Lexia near Guildford but didn’t have any reply. Can someone help me? Many thanks !
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You really should not add any additional DPF cleaners to the fuel system - if you have a DPF, then there is already an additive system in place.

How many miles has the vehicle done? It may be that your DPF is due for replacement. Also pop your VIN up so I can see which engine you have.

Marc
Crisma95
My Cars: Citroen C4

Post by Crisma95 »

The car has 123.000 miles. The VIN is (removed, incorrect). I bought the car a month ago and everything was ok (MOT was ok, full history service ok...) and it all started when the fuel dropped.

Vin: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 27 Jul 2020, 23:53, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Corrected VIN
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

It sounds as though it was trying to regenerate and failed.

Your VIN was incorrect - I have deleted it. Please put the correct one up. It will be automatically masked from public view, only forum staff can see it.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Ok, so with that mileage, your particle filter is at end of life. and it is putting the 'Risk of Clogging' message up. At a certain mileage, the Engine ECU is programmed to flag a warning when the filter reaches a certain mileage, as there are some elements that remain in the particle filter that cannot be burnt off - like ash, hydrocarbons, engine oil deposits and of course Cerine in the additive. These elements gradually block the filter.

So you'll have to now consider getting the filter replaced, or getting it removed and cleaned (although you will rarely get all the deposits out - and this carries a risk of damaging the internal filter / cement). DPF are not nearly as expensive as they were, so consider that.

Marc