FIXED - My Turn for Belt Issues - Activa Aux Belt

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Re: FIXED - My Turn for Belt Issues - Activa Aux Belt

Post by Zelandeth »

I admit to being a bit surprised by this one. I've seen them where they've totally detached themselves from the inner and will rotate freely, and I've seen them go wonky so they wobble like a buckled bike wheel when running - this one is still solidly attached though (I've jumped on it!), it's just managed to work the outer rim a good 1/3" towards the timing belt side of the pulley.

The other failure I recall which was quite spectacular was one where the outer section cracked, and subsequently disintegrated. This wouldn't have been *too* bad, if the resulting shrapnel hadn't managed to take out the radiator, power steering cooler, oil cooler and intercooler pipework in the process...It honestly looked like someone had set off a hand grenade in the engine bay.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stickyfinger wrote: 17 Oct 2018, 22:45 The outer was spinning on the inner like a bearing !....(Jim saw it as well)

Yes, that was amazing! Could barely believe it... Worst I'd ever seen for sure...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
picassodad
My Cars: pug306, citroen picasso

Post by picassodad »

These are a pita when the rubber goes off, and can result in the aux belt wraping around the pulley etc, forcing the cam belt cover to contact the cam belt, which then dies, wrecking the engine, on pug 306 dw10's at any rate. When the bottom pulley rubber goes the system makes a real racket !

A female friend had one go that took out the cam belt on a pug 306 dw10 diesel, that was a very very good car but was scrapped, i live 300 miles from her so could not do anything, it could have been saved at reasonable cost.

I fitted a new GATES pulley to our 306 dw10, but i felt the inner face, the face the cam belt would touch was wayyyyyyy toooooooo rough and sharp and would cause the cam belt to fail very early, so smoothed off the rough surface.

I contacted GATES about this with photo's etc, they are a crap company imho !