Xantia nearside rear brake pipe twisted

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Xantia nearside rear brake pipe twisted

Post by chinkostu »

Finally got around to removing the rear calipers on the Xantia, as it was squealing like mad and a little bit crooked. Bolts came out beautifully and the offside caliper posed no issues, however the nearside union on the brake pipe seemed a bit snug, it was only after turning it a bit futher and seeing the paint flake off that i realised i've twisted the pipe about 90°.

Have managed to get the caliper off without damaging it too much more, but is it likely to go bang now i've messed with it? And whats the better option, try and flare a new line and use a joiner to add into the existing line or get a whole new line made up?
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
lexi
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Re: Xantia nearside rear brake pipe twisted

Post by lexi »

It''s always better to go back and make a line to next connection. Wire brush those joints at brake pipe and plus gas them to try and break the fusion. A little wiggle (not you) back and forth to break that bond, then more plus gas. Have you got the tools for flaring the lines? If not garage will make one. You can measure with string, or take old pipe to them.
You are best with your own tools. Draper make a nice little unit. Those Draper type ones on Ebay are about £32 and work well. Last you a lifetime.
Citroen C5 1.6 HDI 110bhp Estate 06 plate

French Mistresses gone.
Citroen C5 HDI Mk 1 hatchback
Vel Satis 3.5 v6
ZX 1.9D Est.
ZX 1.9DHatch
Xantia 1.9td est.
Xantia 2.0 hdi Est.
Xantia V6 MK1
Xantia V6 MK 2
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

A couple of years ago I wanted to put new front brake hoses on my daughter's Pug306 and messed up one of the unions and was unable to get it off. I bought items off ebay similar to these two then cut back the brake pipe to a suitable place where I could do the flaring comfortably under the wheel arch. It made a first class job.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/COPPER-BRAKE ... 0005.m1851
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Copper-Brake ... Swz4Fa~Wyn
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
chinkostu
My Cars: N Xantia 1.9TD SX
03 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec

Post by chinkostu »

Thanks guys

Ordered one from Pleiades in the end for £20 posted, with 10mm hex on the unions instead of 8mm.

Managed to fit the system back together with the line as it is and it seems to be holding pressure so far so will be driven with that in mind until I get a day to route the new pipe 😊
Stu

Cars
1995 Xantia 1.9TD SX in (faded) Red
2003 Fiesta 1.4 Zetec in GREEEEEEEN
2001 206 1.9 LX
2001 Saxo VTR
1999 Saxo 1.1 East coast
1999 Punto :oops:
1996 306 1.8 XN Auto :?
1996 Fiesta 1.3 #-o
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Just a quick 'Thank You' to John D with regard to the Brake Pipe Flaring post.

Me thinks I'm going to be sourcing something very similar shortly having had a fail on my Dummy MOT today*.

I've got a leak from a corroded Brake Pipe which needs prompt attention** and a less severe "Brake Load Sensing Valve Inoperative, Linkage Insecure" issue.

This is a new one on me and possibly explains why the spring keeps falling off. Anyone heard of this before? I've not got underneath it yet to examine the issue and am rather hoping to repair the Linkage rather than have to replace the LSV with all the aggravation that involves, eg getting the Unions undone and perhaps an awful lot of Bleeding.

My aim was to 'transfer' my MOT from Feb to Aug. That's not quite worked out as planned but at least I can take my time about the LSV job.

The only good news is, I've still got a clean sheet on Structural Fails / Advisories, but I know that its by no means perfect on its underside .

*Basically an MOT, but without the VOSA part, so you can't possibly get a new ticket. Potentially a waste of £40, but with a House Move looming I was prepared to take the chance on paying twice and after 2 weeks welding in atrociously hot conditions, enthusiasm for car repairs is running thin.

**I'd noticed a drip, and I'd thought that water had got into my OSR Cill repair, as its in that area; but no, its Brake Fluid.
Puxa
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

It is likely that the linkage has popped off because the valve is seized. Good luck, and take care driving it, if the valve is seized giving maximum rear bias, the handling can be rather dangerous (I found out when travelling unexpectedly backwards at some speed through some motorway roadworks).
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

xantia_v6 wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 20:53 It is likely that the linkage has popped off because the valve is seized....
By that token, would the lack of rear bias in my case mean that the valve's likely OK? I've definitely got a front bias to my braking. I can source a replacement LSV, but I don't want to go that route unless I really must.

I've never had a moment such as that, but early on in my driving career I did once find myself doing a 360 on a wet urban road in a Chrysler Alpine with bald tyres. Thankfully I only hit a kerb. Lesson learnt!

I am taking it extra careful. I'm already a driver who believes in planning rather than braking. I've checked the effectiveness of the handbrake (in a safe location) and will be checking the Fluid before going anywhere if I use it again before its fixed.

Wet here today so no chance to get under it yet. Will order Brake Pipe & Flaring Kit in a minute instead.

Thanks !
Puxa
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

I think that the valve can seize in any position, but in my case it was with full rear bias. After the spin on the motorway, the dealer checked the brakes on their MOT machine which only did one axle at a time, and declared the brakes perfect. The car spun on several occasions afterwards before an independent garage diagnosed the problem.
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

xantia_v6 wrote: 15 Aug 2018, 20:53 It is likely that the linkage has popped off because the valve is seized. Good luck, and take care driving it, if the valve is seized giving maximum rear bias, the handling can be rather dangerous (I found out when travelling unexpectedly backwards at some speed through some motorway roadworks).

I had this happen to me about 20 years ago in a MK1 Berlingo company van coming off the M62 in Milnrow, same issue. Dabbed the brake, ended up going backwards down the sliproad. LSV had seized and the rears locked almost instantly.
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

Flaring kit and pipe have arrived in the post today, fingers crossed ! Undoing Brake Unions isn't something I relish, but I have a number of Weapons in my armoury to achieve that.

I'm pretty confident the LSV's OK in itself but having fitted the new pipe I'll be attempting to cable tie or clamp it in the 'Loaded' position and briefly road-test to be sure.... I was confident of it passing its Dummy MOT and look where that got me!! I'll be going proper slowly when I hit the brakes

I'm also going to measure the vertical position of the Arm in the unloaded position prior to jacking to remove the possibility of me tensioning the spring incorrectly.
Puxa
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

well, its all come to a grinding halt for a couple of days, one of the Unions into the LSV is a larger size than those I have, and by the time I realised, it was lunchtime on Saturday and Pirtek had just closed.
Monday's 'out' for me so am hoping to source said Union Tues'.

Anyone know if I shall find I can get a new Bleed Valve there too (for rear Drum), or do I need to look elsewhere for that? I've loosened all four successfully but one is not in good shape.
Puxa
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

Thanks Guys, we have happiness, including a small rust repair to the floor where the Underseal had cracked and allowed water in. Thankfully just a Wire Brush, Kurust, Paint & Waxoyl affair.

Also pleased to report the LSV Spring is on and has remained so for its 10mile extended test drive with the trailer attached, a dual purpose shake-down run prior to a motorway trip to collect a new lounge suite at the weekend. Correct rear bias was very much in evidence...

The Wing Nuts on my Brake Flaring kit were rubbish and one of the threads expired, but substituting a pair of metric M8 nuts from my stash sorted it. If anyone else is buying one, have alternative nuts available (not Dogs ones from Amazon).

...the whole Flaring Kit is rubbish really, but adequate for purpose, which for a mere £13 is all you ask.

Next job is to fix the wiring to the rear speakers, my soldering behind one of the door speakers has (unsurprisingly) come undone. Why oh why can I not solder, Grr!
Attachments
Pie.jpg
Puxa