Just how "bad" is the EGS Gearbox?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

crapday69
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 1.6 eHDi VTR+NAV

Re: Just how "bad" is the EGS Gearbox?

Post by crapday69 »

My C5 2012 has the sports button as well (as did the 2007 C4).
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

I once fancied a Nemo with this box but when looking on Autotrader etc. I noticed that nearly all cars using this type of box be they Citroen, Peugeot, Fiat whatever had done very low mileages. I know occasionally it's possible to hit on a one owner low mileage car, but not hundreds of them! The same models with a standard manual box were doing normal average miles. And looking online there were loads of horror stories about them. Steer clear I think.
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
crapday69
(Donor 2017)

Post by crapday69 »

I'd buy another one no problems if I had too. As a matter of fact, if I never got my car back after it was a cat n write off, I'd have went out and bought the same car again.
renagade
My Cars: had:
2 citroen ds super 5
1 citroen ds pallas
1 citroen bx
1 citroen cx pallas
1 citroen dyan
1 citroen ami
1 citroen 2cv
2009 c5 x7 in Black 84k
2011 c5 x7 in Black Semi Auto on steel springs 76k

now
2011 c5 x7 1.6 e-hdi egs6 black 70k

Post by renagade »

Hi Guy;s
Yes I had problems with the egs6 gear box. It came down to the fact the return pipe on the actuator was split and I was driving about with no oil in the actuator and that did the little actuators in. Now after £2200 later with the new actuator bank fitted ( Citroen UK Doncaster ) it drives very smoothly and provided you are not a boy racer it would drive OK. Yes twice in the year I have had the car (2011 c5 x7 e-hdi egs6 ) I have pulled away thinking that I can beet the car coming round the roundabout and suddenly it decided to go from 2nd to 1st and then she goes. I did 3k last month in france and the car performed spot on. I would like a late model egs6 Picasso and would get one in a flash.
There are so many roads to travel but so little time, (Paul Cofield )
crapday69
(Donor 2017)

Post by crapday69 »

I have had some hesitation with the EGS gearbox, but not enough that would put me off. If you put it into sports mode before you pull out at a busy junction, that should help a little, dont know if they all have a sports button.

Gary.
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

1.2 seconds for a gearchange? In "sport" mode? Lordy, sounds as bad as the robotised manual box that Volvo have been fitting to some of their buses for the last few years. They always feel like they're at least two gears too far up the box, and take a good second to swap cogs as well. Not great when it insists in you being in third or fourth by the time you've made it from the stop line at the junction to the far side of the road...

I have to admit that I'm very much of the opinion that robotised manual gearboxes are a solution to a problem that simply doesn't exist. There are so many very competent and well proven conventional automatic gearboxes out there that I simply can't see what advantage they offer.

Have driven two or three cars now with a DSG box from VW, and on every occasion found myself wishing for either a proper manual or an "old fashioned" automatic. Trying to do any fine manoeuvring with them seems to be impossible...Nothing, nothing, nothing, nothing...launch me through the wall I'm trying to park next to!

We've got a VW Caravelle with the DSG box just now (company car) and had to do a 15 point turn to get out of the parking space in the long-term parking spot at Heathrow a couple of weeks back because while we were away people decided to park about 2" away from both sides of us. The thing that I was acutely aware of as we escaped after a few minutes of shuffling was the unmistakable stench of burning clutch...which would worry me if that happened every time I got stuck in a tight spot.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

From a manufacturer's point of view, EGS 'boxes are very useful pieces of equipment. They're a great way of economically writing-off a car that is under 10 years old when they go wrong. Cue : another sale of a new car. Or am I just being a bit too cynical ? 8-[
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
crapday69
(Donor 2017)

Post by crapday69 »

Zelandeth wrote: 10 Nov 2017, 20:18
I have to admit that I'm very much of the opinion that robotised manual gearboxes are a solution to a problem that simply doesn't exist. There are so many very competent and well proven conventional automatic gearboxes out there that I simply can't see what advantage they offer.

With my C4 the full auto and manual where £125 to tax, the egs £30. So the problem was emissions so in the case the egs fixed that problem. Ok now full auto boxes have came a long way, but not over 10 years ago when it was developed.

I've never had a problem with fine manoeuvring so must be a VW problem.
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Post by daviemck2006 »

I had problems with the c2 sensodrive box manoeuvring. It was fine on spirited get aways but to shift the car dead slow and inch perfect was impossible. So not just a vw problem.
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2
EDC5
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Citroen C5 RHR AM6

Post by EDC5 »

Proper automatics get good mileage as they all have lock up clutches these days. Mine barely spends any time "open" (as confirmed with Lexia). The power delivery is very smooth too, even between gears.

I think the egs doesn't work not because it's crap, just that the job it's trying to do is huge. It's trying to replace a humans left foot, the skill of engaging a clutch is quite complex. Humans can react to the feintest of vibration, sound or a 'feeling' from the engine when pulling off and can adjust their foot accordingly. I'm guessing the EGS just uses a pre defined timer to close the clutch, and that's it.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

And I doubt the newer C4 Picassos have this system either - especially with the 360 degree parking assist system - as there is no way it could achieve the parallel parking manoeuvres (or any parking manoeuvres for that matter) with this lack of fine control required. So I would expect a fully automatic system or manual.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
crapday69
(Donor 2017)

Post by crapday69 »

EDC5 wrote: 10 Nov 2017, 21:49 Proper automatics get good mileage as they all have lock up clutches these days. Mine barely spends any time "open" (as confirmed with Lexia). The power delivery is very smooth too, even between gears.

My 1989 Volvo 740 auto's torque converter locked up above 50mph so was good on the motorway.
EDC5 wrote: 10 Nov 2017, 21:49I think the egs doesn't work not because it's crap, just that the job it's trying to do is huge. It's trying to replace a humans left foot, the skill of engaging a clutch is quite complex. Humans can react to the feintest of vibration, sound or a 'feeling' from the engine when pulling off and can adjust their foot accordingly. I'm guessing the EGS just uses a pre defined timer to close the clutch, and that's it.

I would probably agree with you there if I didn't like mine lol. These boxes where supposed to learn your driving style which is good if your the only driver, but if there are two or more others driving it, it must get confused.

They have spent a lot of money on the "what I am told is superb" eat6 gearbox. This coupled onto the 3 cylinder 1.2 engine can move some pretty big motors i.e Peugeot 3008.
crapday69
(Donor 2017)

Post by crapday69 »

daviemck2006 wrote: 10 Nov 2017, 21:44 I had problems with the c2 sensodrive box manoeuvring. It was fine on spirited get aways but to shift the car dead slow and inch perfect was impossible. So not just a vw problem.

I had this gearbox on my 2005 C3 XTR, first auto with Citroen and I never had problems with it. It was my first and only brand new car and had it for 2.5 years. The boys where getting too big and I dont like knees digging into me when I'm driving. Loved that little car. The only thing it never had that the C4 and C5 have was the 3 second brake lock that helps with uphill starts.
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

I think one of the big issues with conventional autos was city economy, or the lack thereof. One of the main issues with that I think is that the fact that the torque converter still causes a lot of drag on the engine when idling and stationary. One thing I've come across on some ZF 'boxes on commercial vehicles is a feature where they drop into neutral whenever the vehicle is stationary - sure that equates to quite a big fuel saving on a big vehicle like a coach - but I imagine it could help a lot in a car too. I've no huge experience with modern autos in cars, but wouldn't be surprised if that feature had been implemented on cars too. That I imagine would close a lot of the economy gap.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
W1nchman
My Cars: Citroen C4 Grand Picasso

Post by W1nchman »

I am on my second C4 with EGS. Wouldn't have anything else. Clutch goes on for a long time typical 120,000 miles. Smooth & responsive. Fuel consumption around town (Bristol) 42.5 per gallon. On a run 65+ per gallon. Such a treat to drive as well...