Steering Rack Leak(?) + Outer Driveshaft Boot

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Sloppysod
Donor 2024
My Cars: Citroens
1 x GS, 1 x GSX (Banger raced), 1 x GSA,
2 x CX Famililles, 1 x CX GTI,
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Steering Rack Leak(?) + Outer Driveshaft Boot

Post by Sloppysod »

What an afternoon, and I feel things are just getting started................ :( :(

Found oil on my drive so decided to hunt down the leak, and doing so found the outer clip on the outer drive shaft boot had broken thus alowing the boot to empty itself all over the inside of the wheel and hub, swinging arms........yuk. - added some Molybdenum high melting point grease (just hope it is enough!!), fitted a new clip from my box or bits, now the drive shaft is clamped tight on the hub again,.

Found the leak I think and this is where I would like some feedback chaps.
I think it is coming from the steering rack, not the boots but the input drive housing :?: , I will know more in a couple of weeks as I have jet-washed everything where I believe the leak to be and will look in a couple of weeks to see if I was right.
If it is a full rack replacement, which I hope not, is it a big job, what pit-falls can I expect to try and catch me out and where do I buy a new rack, other than a Citroen(££££)?

Cheers
All,
Stu
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
C5 Steering rack @ 58,000 mi
4 discs & Pads @ 63,585 mi
2 (AM6) oil exchanges @ 58,876 & 72,378 mi
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Re: Steering Rack Leak(?) + Outer Driveshaft Boot

Post by bobins »

Is this on your C5 ?
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

Oops, sorry, forgot, yes it is on my 2011 C5 Exclusive :(

Ergh!! http://www.eurocarparts.com/steering-ra ... ring-mount -£1099.99 !! Surely they are cheaper than this!!??
Last edited by Sloppysod on 02 Sep 2017, 21:05, edited 1 time in total.
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

"Some cause happiness wherever they go, others whenever they go"Oscar Wilde (1854-1900)

Major interventions
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Have a read of this.......
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57734
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

Thanks, Bobbins, I have not looked at the subframe mountings yet, but can I just lower the back end of the frame, or do I have to make provision for the whole frame to be lowered, two trolley jacks?
Looks like I have a job tomorrow, peering down a small hole in the footwell.
Thanks again, now just to find a good rack.
Stu

Is it really this bad!! - Nice Photo Bobbins
download/file.php?mode=view&id=4038
Attachments
Rusty Small.jpg
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Major interventions
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

The whole subframe has to come down but it's actually no grief to do that. One well balanced trolley jack should suffice as there's no great weight on the subframe.
You'll be pleasantly surprised at how 'up close and personal' you can get to the pinion via the footwell - pity the same can't be said about its condition when you see it :(
It's a pity you're not closer as I've still got my old rack you could have - it'd be a good contender to send off to one of the decent reconditioners so you can swap it over without your car being off the road for any length of time.
As for reconditioners - there's plenty out there offering all sorts of promises, but - if my old pinion shaft is anything to go by - you really want one that will replace the pinion shaft. Whilst I've not used them and have no feedback on them, you might want to have a look at http://www.powerracksdirect.co.uk/Citroen-C5 as they seem to understand the need to modify the pinion seal. Unfortunately they only supply to trade / garages, so you might need a tame garage if you go down that route.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I bought one of these to get past the one jack / two jacks problem, it says discontinued on this link but there are plenty about by several makers.

https://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/draper-2-ton ... per_56756
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 03 Sep 2017, 10:10 I bought one of these to get past the one jack / two jacks problem, it says discontinued on this link but there are plenty about by several makers.

https://www.sitebox.ltd.uk/draper-2-ton ... per_56756

Interesting, I have thought about something similar in the past, but never got round to making it and never thought one could be bought of the shelf -Thanks
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Major interventions
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

Well thats a Job I don't waont to do again!!!
Made a slight 'mod' that hopefuly means I will not have too, placed a tie rod gaiter over the rack, Tie wrpped on then cut the over end so that the insulating rubber which fits fron inside the car sits in side and hopefully has seald the shaft from spray and whatever.
Now, the rack when mving it by hand was stiff and not it is fitted it still is, does it self beed, or is there a process I have to follow?

I followed the list of actions posted by 'Bobbins' - very helpfull.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=57734
Thanks
Attachments
For FCF.jpg
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Major interventions
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

Well I am getting good at this......
As I said in my earlier update post my rack was stiff and would not self center after turning a corner, when I spoke to the company who sold the reconditioned rack about my problem they "oh, that should be better in about 300 miles or so", so at 3000 miles I got onto them again, took the rack off and they rebuilt it saying that the problem was due to a 'tight' seal. well the rack I was given back is still tight albeit not as tight as the first one and still does not self center after turning a corner!! That is two racks with the same issue, so have I done anything wrong or have other people had similar issues?

Looking at the Citroen service my car was fitted with Part no. 0610 03 4420 79A rack, could this be the wrong rack possibly from a lighter vehicle 1.6hdi?, the rack part number is the same across all models, except the last three digits. :?

And......... on top of that my steering wheel it 180 degrees out, I dropped it of to kwikfit to get the tracking set and collected it late only to realise they had set the tracking with the steering wheel upside-down (the tracking was a long way out) and may have to stay that way as I can not get back there until next weekend. the problem is, I have a warning on the dash saying ESP/ASR is faulty, and when running a Diagbox check I get a steering wheel angle sensor error:
U1205 - Steering wheel angle sensor missing communication fault: not distinguished.

The problem is that the warning symbol was on, on my way to Kwikfit, so it may not be due to the steering wheel being upside down!!
Ideas anyone on both, stiff rack or sensor error?

Thanks
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Major interventions
bobins
Donor 2023
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Do you reckon you've got your original rack back on the car now, or do you reckon it's been substituted for a different one by the reconditioners ?
I assume you've got either 17", 18", or 19" wheels fitted as original, and not 16" ?

I think cars fitted with 16" wheels had 'longer' racks fitted, so it might pay to take meaningful measurements of both track rod ends so I can compare them with my old rack that I've still got in a shed somewhere - my thoughts being that your car should have the same length rack as my car - the difference between 'short' and 'long' racks will be evident in how far out - or long - the track rods are........ but that's only a guess.

In theory, to have your steering wheel out by 180 degrees, there will be noticeably different amounts of thread exposed between the left and right track rods.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The new part should be 98 014 154 80 (revised replacement rack)

As for bleeding - it is just a matter of running the engine, lowering suspension, turn steering wheel full lock left then right a few times, check LDS level is between the A & B marks.
LDS X7 Levels.png
As for the ESP fault - it is obviously out of range and will either return to normal after you correct the fitting on the rack or you will need to recalibrate the Steering Wheel Angle Sensor (but get the rack fitted correctly first). Be aware though Stu - until this is done, you will have standard braking - no ABS, no ESP, no ASR...
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Be aware that with the steering wheel upside down that the clock spring in the COM unit will be forced 180 degrees further than designed at one end of the travel or other, and may well destroy itself during parking manoeuvres.
Sloppysod
Donor 2024
BX, XM, Xantia, C5 Mk1,
C4 (Coupe), C4 (B7),
C5 (X7)

Renault
R4 Van
Fuego
Clio Campas

Post by Sloppysod »

xantia_v6 wrote: 09 Dec 2017, 21:47 Be aware that with the steering wheel upside down that the clock spring in the COM unit will be forced 180 degrees further than designed at one end of the travel or other, and may well destroy itself during parking manoeuvres.

Mmm...... clock-spring.do I take this seriously, I thought it was just a sensor??? worried..big time!!
bobins wrote: 09 Dec 2017, 18:13 Do you reckon you've got your original rack back on the car now, or do you reckon it's been substituted for a different one by the reconditioners ?
I assume you've got either 17", 18", or 19" wheels fitted as original, and not 16" ?

Standard 17" wheels and 99.9% sure it is not my original rack.......
bobins wrote: 09 Dec 2017, 18:13I think cars fitted with 16" wheels had 'longer' racks fitted, so it might pay to take meaningful measurements of both track rod ends so I can compare them with my old rack that I've still got in a shed somewhere - my thoughts being that your car should have the same length rack as my car - the difference between 'short' and 'long' racks will be evident in how far out - or long - the track rods are........ but that's only a guess.

In theory, to have your steering wheel out by 180 degrees, there will be noticeably different amounts of thread exposed between the left and right track rods.

Remembering your earlier post about rack lengths, I measured today and I have 18-20mm of adjustment thread on the right and about 5-8 mm of thread on the left hand track-rod. - and i hope this will be enough to bring it right again.
GiveMeABreak wrote: 09 Dec 2017, 18:29 The new part should be 98 014 154 80 (revised replacement rack)
Toooooooooooo expensive, but may have to go that way.
GiveMeABreak wrote: 09 Dec 2017, 18:29As for bleeding - it is just a matter of running the engine, lowering suspension, turn steering wheel full lock left then right a few times, check LDS level is between the A & B marks.

Yes, the last time I bled the system and to hold the 5 psi, I used a bicycle stirrup pump connected to a old brake bleeding kit, worked a treat.
GiveMeABreak wrote: 09 Dec 2017, 18:29As for the ESP fault - it is obviously out of range and will either return to normal after you correct the fitting on the rack or you will need to recalibrate the Steering Wheel Angle Sensor (but get the rack fitted correctly first). Be aware though Stu - until this is done, you will have standard braking - no ABS, no ESP, no ASR...

MMM, i tried my brakes the other night and the ABS is definitely working, not sure about the other functions though.......... out in the snow tomorrow, so that will tell, also looks like I will have to try to get down to Kwikfit, if they are open and see what they can do.

Thnaks all, my head ache has just got bigger............. :oops:
Stu 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Major interventions
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Post by xantia_v6 »

Sloppysod wrote: 09 Dec 2017, 23:17
xantia_v6 wrote: 09 Dec 2017, 21:47 Be aware that with the steering wheel upside down that the clock spring in the COM unit will be forced 180 degrees further than designed at one end of the travel or other, and may well destroy itself during parking manoeuvres.

Mmm...... clock-spring.do I take this seriously, I thought it was just a sensor??? worried..big time!!

Don't panic... yet.

If they only adjusted the rack ends, and the steering wheel is upside down as a result (although I doubt that there is enough adjustment available for that), then your clock spring is safe.

I was assuming (and still suspect) that they adjusted the tracking, then noticing that the steering wheel was offset, removed it and refitted it upside down. That would be cause for mild panic.