C8 Woe's

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rookie
My Cars:

C8 Woe's

Post by rookie »

Hi Guys.
I recently bought a 2.2hdi with a blown turbo.
I stripped the air and exhaust pipes out and cleaned, changed the filter. flushed the oil and changed it, new air filter and vaccummed out eveywhere I could.
Fitted a replacement cartridge and started the engine.
Starts first time every time and sounds good, But !!!!!!!

If I slam my foot on the throttle, it takes 4 seconds for the engine to reach 4000rpm.

I dont get my lexia back till tuesdaly night (Loaned it to a friend), any ideas where to start looking ?

I could find no reason for the original turbo failure, oil ways were clear and the engine has only done 40,000 since replacement by Citroen Warranty.
Last edited by rookie on 24 Sep 2016, 22:49, edited 1 time in total.
rookie
My Cars:

Re: C8 Woe's

Post by rookie »

Forgot to mention that I am just about to to connect the MPPS V16 to download the ecu and send it off to Bristol to get the Cat and Particulate Filter removed from the system and stage 1 tune. EGR will be blanked as soon as that is done.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Can't help with your turbo issue, but wanted to make you aware of the possible legislation changes coming in and insurance implications of removing your DPF.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... er#p487852

That's not forgetting that the small particles normally trapped by the DPF are said to be seriously damaging to a small child's developing lungs. Your choice of course, but it would be remiss of me not to mention it.
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 25 Sep 2016, 17:51, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I have moved subsequent DPF realated responses to the relevant thread.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Bick

Post by Bick »

I would be inclined to do a flow rate check on the turbo oil feed just to make sure.

Im not that ofaye with the 2.2 but i would have thought there is a turbo boost sensor that allows the the ecu to adjust the fueling against air boost. They can get clogged - i take it you have unplugged the MAF?
Bick

Post by Bick »

Hi rookie - you disconnect the turbo or remove it and run up the engine for say 30 seconds collecting the oil into a measuring jug then you can calculate the litres per min flow rate to the turbo. Im not sure the figure you are looking for for that engine but i would have thought its not a mile off the 1.6hdi figure and that is posted somewhere on this site.
rookie
My Cars:

Post by rookie »

Hi Bick
Crikey matey "Remove it" ? on this enigine that would take me a full day almost. Could I do it by collecting the oil from the Turbo drain back to sump ?

Cheers
Bick

Post by Bick »

Never heard of it done that way but as long as the turbo is not passing badly i dont see why not - the reason i suggest you do this is the unexplained turbo failure - mind you repeated high speed shut offs without letting the turbo slow and cool will do just that as im sure you well know.
rookie
My Cars:

Post by rookie »

Thanks Bick, I know what you mean about the lack of cooling period. As it happens, the blades on the turbine were not only worn away due to the collapse of the bearing, but alos showed signs of impact damage by flying particles. Thats why I spent such a long time clearing everything out, including the interior of the intercooler and all associated pipework..
However, I still believe no matter how meticulous you are, it's still possible to miss some of it.
I did read somewhere that it is possible to disconnect the tubes at the turbo pressure regulator and join them together to test if the valve is interfering with boost ?
Bick

Post by Bick »

I dont see why not but like you say your Lexia will be your main hope.

Yes parts of the blades may have already done internal damage only time will tell on this but from what you have done this will mitigate any further damage occurring.
rookie
My Cars:

Post by rookie »

Has anyone an idea what oil pressure I should be expecting at the turbo feed ?
Just fitted the new cartridge and started up after stop start priming.
Engine ran sweet as a nut as I waited to burn off the remainder of the oil deposits in the exhaust.

When it had all cleared I went for a short drive, car seemed to be pulling very well though I was only driving steady, but then heard the turbo start to whine again. Clouds of smoke out the back so am assuming the seals have gone. Stripped off the intercooler pipes and sure enough, they are coated in oil again, and not just a smear of oil. Any observations ?
Bick

Post by Bick »

Sorry rookie i have no idea on the oil pressure or flow rate but from what you have said if the turbo oil feed and return pipes are clear you are looking at taking the sump off and checking the strainer next - this may be an oil pump problem?

Im sure on this forum i have seen oil pump issues on the 2.2hdi engines - some take some time to manifest - may pay you to do a search or start a new thread re 2.2 oil pump issues?
rookie
My Cars:

Post by rookie »

OK Bick, thanks for the help, will try what you suggest.
It's just a bit of a sickener when you have spent so muc time trying to get it right and taking as many precautions as possible, ah well, Citroen, don't you just love em ? Lol.