C5 X7 heater blower motor resistor location

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: C5 X7 heater blower motor resistor location

Post by GiveMeABreak »

It had to be there! :-D You may need a hand transplant afterwards, but at least you know where it is. I'll have a squiz now for the pin outs Jack.

Ok, I've got the diagrams - Look for 8045 on the diagram - this is the Blower Control module, which is linked to the Blower Motor (8050), the Air Conditioning ECU (8080), and MB01 (Earth) and the Engine Fuse box.

I've emailed these to you Jack. If you need any more codes, I added all the codes on the wiki under the Diagnostics section:
https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/wiki/Citroen_C5
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
C5_Jack
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 2013 2.2 HDI
Caterham 21 ( for fun)

Post by C5_Jack »

Well, that was a very interesting visit to the dealer.

Arrived at 9 this morning to find out what was the issue with the car, at 11h00 the car was ready, the blower was faulty, so it what changed.
Got back in the car, started the engine and the blower was not working.
However the car "felt" nice and warm inside.

Back inside to let them know what happen and the mechanic who did the work, confirm the blower was changed and he didn't understand what happen.
Car goes back inside the "garage" for further test.

Apparently they had a C5 in recently which had a blower working intermittently, and the fault was discovered to be the main fuse board inside the engine bay.
So 1hr later, my car was back with a working blower, However the heated are still not working, this is for a different post...

Jack
MeridianMan
My Cars: Current: 2003 C5 Estate

Past: XM and DS19

Post by MeridianMan »

Hello you guys,

I too am having problems with no heater blower on my 2003 C5 exclusive estate. I have looked through here as I thought someone had posted a different cure saying that the blades of the unit sometimes seize, and they can be freed off by getting into the unit and using something like WD 40 or some other light oil.
I wonder if you have any knowledge of this procedure as I can not find the original post.
Many thanks as always,

Ian
deckoil
My Cars: Current 2012 C5 Exclusive Tourer 160
Previous : Berlingo
BX 1.7 Turbo

Post by deckoil »

Hi guys, new to the forum. Great resource and lots of generous people contributing. Thank you.
I've just bought a 2012 C5 Exclusive tourer in Australia. Love the car. Something about them appeals.
Anyway, I've a couple of little problems - one is that the fan seems to operate only on full speed, despite turning it lower using dash buttons. Indicator lights do suggest changing speed and there may be a small variation at times but, if so, its minor. Similar problem to others here where a faulty resistor is suggested. The Australian Citroen forum, 'AussieFrogs', deals with the earlier model C5 but I'd like to check my VIN details before proceeding with ideas here. Can't do without AC at the minute, but the noise etc. gets too much on a long run.

It's VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] How do you guys use this to find out so much info and where are you sourcing the pictures? Also, why do you need to disconnect the battery and follow a sequence?

I'll post my other issue elsewhere. Thanks in advance for any advice.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi and welcome.

To save repetition, please see my post here with details on removing the Heater Motor Control Module.

C5 X7 Heater Motor Control Module

There can be 2 issues with these:
1) There is no fan speed on any setting, due to moisture in the bearings of the motor itself that can cause them to seize - and as these have a 'slow start' system typical of climate control systems, there isn't enough welly to get it going and free the bearings. So the solution is to short the pins to give it the full power and bypass the resistor - which others have done - until the next time it happens.

2) The second issue - which is more likely to be your problem is that the Blower control unit itself has gone - typical symptoms are all or nothing - which describes your problem So the resistance has gone basically. Most replace the module and that should sort it.

As for the battery disconnection - disconnecting and connecting the battery on these cars is akin to pulling the plug out the mains on your PC when it is running and without first shutting it down!

Modern multiplexed cars like the X7 have many data networks going through the vehicle linking up the various ECUs the the master computer or controller if you like - called the BSI. It allows the car to basically do more with less wiring and of course provides redundancy in the event of damage to one of the circuits.

So when you unlock the car in the morning it wakes up the various data networks on the understanding you are about to go for a drive. Similarly, when you switch the engine off and lock the car, the car takes a few minutes to ensure all the data stored in the ECUs is memorised. If you have an OEM navigation system, it will allow the units fan to cool the unit before switching off, the EGR butterfly valve will move to its default position etc. So that's why it is important to allow all the ECUs to go into sleep or standby mode before you disconnect the battery. And on reconnection, allow a few minutes for the ECUs systems to reinitialise before starting the engine.

Any questions you have - if the topics don't already exist, then do create a new one - but do keep the issues in separate threads please, as it can get confusing for others. :-D

Marc
deckoil
BX 1.7 Turbo

Post by deckoil »

Thanks Marc,
I'd seen your earlier post but wanted to check if my model the same....seems to be lots of variation.

Anyway, I've taken the panels off and looked for the control unit without success. With bad eyesight, glasses sweating up in the heat and a stiff back - I couldn't find it. However, I'll keep poking around when it gets cooler.

Thanks for the advice on the battery too. Complex machines!
Michael
deckoil
BX 1.7 Turbo

Post by deckoil »

I had another look.....found pollen filter to RHS of footwell. Think I see fan controller up on top left hand edge of this....attached two images and hope someone can confirm.
Other posts on removing the glovebox confused me....must be different year car? (Might have been on Aussie forum)

Any ideas on the part number?

Thanks
Attachments
IMG-20190128-WA0010.jpg
IMG-20190128-WA0009.jpg
deckoil
BX 1.7 Turbo

Post by deckoil »

After all my efforts....now the air con isn't working. The fan is still blowing hard but no cold. Help!
I didn't remove the controller, just looked for it. All I touched were:
a. Checked the air con blower fuse in the engine fuse box. It's ok and I've even gone and replaced it now just in case.
b. Opened the pollen filter to see if that is what it was.
I must have moved something, changed something.......any ideas? It's 35 degrees here and I've a 6 hour drive on Wednesday!
deckoil
BX 1.7 Turbo

Post by deckoil »

I'll close this off with good news. Fitted a new controller using various advanced yoga techniques.

Fan speed and AC are now both working as they should. Seems that controller loses functionality in stages - first the fan speed control and then, in time, the AC fails to go on.

Thanks for the information from various posts. It all helped.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Just seen this (don’t forget the time difference 😀) it’s 08:54 as of posting, so would of got back to you shortly, but glad you have sorted it now in time for the drive!

Marc
deckoil
BX 1.7 Turbo

Post by deckoil »

Thanks Marc.....looking round the forum.....you're a fantastic help to everyone.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

No worries - I was going to point you to my Pollen filter changing thread - which has pictures - and half way down shows the blower control module:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=56903

Marc
coarist
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer

Post by coarist »

Hi, it just happened my car blower motor goes full blast. The controls do not have an effect anymore. The blower keeps on blasting at high air volume even when the air con panel has switched off completely. Is the "blower resistor" the most likely faulty part?

Car 2012 Citroen X7 Tourer Exclusive (climate control type with left-right temperature LCD)
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

I don't think you can switch the panel off, you can only adjust the climate settings. If it is on full blast, then it very likely the Heater Blower Control Module.

Marc
coarist
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer

Post by coarist »

Thanks Marc for always resposive.

I mean when I keep pushing the button to reduce the fan speed, eventually I would have been able to turn off the air flow completely. With this fault, the blower motor is blasting full force whatever the fan speed is set to even when it is at this "off" position.

I got a replacement fan speed control module ("blower motor resistor") today.

My car is RHD UK Citroen C5 Tourer Exclusive. The fan speed control module is accessed in the passenger foot well the same way as you would change the cabin air filter. It's location is recessed slightly deeper and very close to the fire wall. It is accessible but space around it is very limited.

The wiring connector has two retention clips on each side. Once it is detached, the module can be released by anti-clockwise twist about 1/10 turns then retrieved by pulling out.

After replacing this part, I tried it out. The fan speed was full blast and it is now moderate. However, selecting fan speed on the air con panel still doesn't change the actual air volume. It is stuck in this moderate fan speed. Fan control is not restored. Switching to complete off remains moderate speed as it was before.

Since the stuck fan speed at medium level is less disturbing and hence easier to live with, this buys me some time to find a fix for it. I will post update once I get it sorted.