C5 2.0 hdi 110 egr issue

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Dac02
My Cars: Renault Scenic, Vauxhall Astra and Zafira Tourer, Citroen C5, Ford Focus

C5 2.0 hdi 110 egr issue

Post by Dac02 »

Hi all
Sorry if this has been asked a million times before but cannot seem to find a diffinative answer, I just got a 2004 C5 2.0 110 auto Diesel and its gone into limp mode, wont rev past 3000 and hardly any power, eml light and service on. Plugged in to obd2 reader and throws up p0401 egr valve fault. Never has an egr on a diesel before but looking at it there does not seem to be any sort of electrical connection to it. Is this normal?
Is it just a case of removing it and cleaning it up?
Thanks in advance
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: C5 2.0 hdi 110 egr issue

Post by spider »

Removing and cleaning it would be a good idea.

I think (later models) are electrical but there is generally a vacuum hose to it as well as one (or two for later models) solenoids to control the vacuum. One to actually open/close and one to regulate it.

The solenoids may be fitted to the bulkhead area. I'd actually start by examining all the small bore vacuum pipework simply as this is slightly easier than getting at the valve. You may find a perished or split / disconnected vacuum hose is the cause possibly.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Sometimes a proper EGR valve cleaner can work, but make sure to not only follow the instructions on the can, but see if there are any warnings (either on the can on the makers' website), as spraying in too much could cause the engine to run away.

If it works, the EGR cleaner can cause the crud to break down and allow the EGR valve to operate smoothly.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Dac02
My Cars: Renault Scenic, Vauxhall Astra and Zafira Tourer, Citroen C5, Ford Focus

Post by Dac02 »

Hi
Thanks for advice will examine all hoses tomorrow and look for splits, 1 thing I didnt mention was that when you start her up and hold the revs high it will sit there quite happily with your foot down but once you stop 5-6 seconds and eml light and no power.
Thanks
Dac02

Post by Dac02 »

Hi didnt see the second post but have heard bad things about egr cleaners doing more harm than good. But might be left with no choice as it doesnt look like a simple job to remove the thing.
Thanks
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

Check all those thin vacuum hoses carefully, they can have tiny splits very difficult to see.

I've not seen a C5 with an EGR itself actually faulty, almost always a lost vacuum or faulty electrovalve.

Looking from the front the control valves are to your right hand and back against the bulkhead under the plastic cover.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Dac02

Post by Dac02 »

Hi
Got the egr valve off along with the the tube attached to it, the valve does still move with a bit of force and was fairly clean. The tube it was attached to was filthy with black gunge, also the large metal unit the air intake is connected to was full of black gunge. Not worked on diesel engine for 15 years, they are very different now.
Going to put back tomorrow as is now chucking it down
SwissSPEC
My Cars:

Post by SwissSPEC »

Mine was all gunked up as well, but i had no error, so err'd on the side of caution & got the egr blanked off. Car is more spritely as a result & of course it's never going to now go wrong :-D
CX GTI 2 Turbo (LHD) - Sorn
Bx Gti 16v
BX TZD Turbo - Sorn
C5 Mk1 LX 2.0HDi Estate
Mini Cooper D Clubman
Dac02

Post by Dac02 »

Hi
Fitted another egr vavle to it and made no difference, car ran ok at driving speed but as soon as idle, eml light back on and limp mode.
Next to renew the electovalve things or will be better to blank off, does thisput the emllight back on.
Thanks
Dac02

Post by Dac02 »

Ok egr blanked off and still no change, so i unplugged the electrical connector to the vacuum valve on the right side as you look at it and no eml light, plug it back in and eml light and limp mode within seconds.
So think the problem is with that valve as Gibbo2286 suggested.
Going to try a second hand 1 from the bay, if no change have to shell out for a new 1.
Thanks for advice all