1.6 HDi injectors

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

1.6 HDi injectors

Post by RichardW »

#-o the ticking noise from the C4, which I thought was related to the low oil pressure events, turns out to be No 3 injector chuffing.... It really doesn't want to give in this car! Assuming it will come out, how easy is the job? Is it worth trying to do it without re-cutting the seat? I'm reluctant to take it to a garage, and spend £500 on it when it needs a new injector - if it's stuck, then trading it in seems to be the way to go....
Richard W
bxzx16v
My Cars: Past Frenchies , 4xBx16v,1xBxGti,1xBxTzd,2xZx Volcanes,1xZx reflex,1xPug 405mi16, 3x Xantia 1.9td's,1x Xantia activa, 2x Renault 25 V6 turbo, 1 Zx16v ,1 Pug 406 V6 coupe ,1x C8 , 1x Berlingo van , 1x Xanti 2.1td , 1x Renault Laguna 3

Re: 1.6 HDi injectors

Post by bxzx16v »

My mate who's a Peugeot technician says if they are caught early enough it's not too bad a job. It's when they are left and that's when it starts getting fun. I hope you manage to get it sorted Richard.

Mark
2009 Landrover Freelander 2 TD4se (killed an Audi) , sadly now gone .
2012 Landrover Freelander 2 SD4 AUTO Love it . Now gone .
2014 Ford Bmax 1.0 Ecoboost Zetec . Fantastic little machine .Gone now.
2014 Ford Focus 2.0 Tdci Zetec S with the French heart.
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

i have fitted new seal's on two chuffy 1.6HDI 110 injectors now,

one on my friends 05 307, this one was simple came out easy, borrowed the seat cutter from the MOT garage i use,

the second one did not want to come out, and when it did it pulled its guide tube out with it, this then took a good couple of hours to separate the tube from the injector,
they get carbon build up between tube and injector, and this one had it the full length of the tube,

i put it back together and i ran ok, the owner sold it on soon after

just did a goooogly search on seat cuters

http://tinyurl.com/p25dj3b" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Lighty
My Cars:

Post by Lighty »

We do them every week, not hard if you have the right gear, but cutting the seat is essential. Buy yourself the tool, it doesn't cost a lot.
The absolute trick is to get the engine red hot, then remove the front rocker cover (takes 2 mins) and then get some mole grips on the injector & twist away, if they have been blowing, they will come out.
I did a taxi last week with 170k on, had to change the chain, it had no blowing injectors, and never has had. 2 injectors would not budge , so had to use my hydraulic puller on them, never had to do this to a blowing one ever.
http://www.marklightfootltd.co.uk
Dacia Duster 1.5 dci
Renault Twizy Technic
Citroen C15
Citroen Ami
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

the one i did on the Piscasooooo had a pile of coal/coke around were it sits in the head, and it was really stuck fast, took a long time to get it out with levers under the edge of its clamp, then a good couple of hours to get it out of the guide tube on the bench
Regards, malcolm.

steelcityuk
My Cars: not applicable

Post by steelcityuk »

I got a couple of stuck injectors out of a 1.5 dCi by loosening the clamps very slightly and letting the combustion pressure do the work but I guess this can only be done on engines with exposed clamps. Seat cutters are a very reasonable price so I bought one to re-cut the seats before fitting replacement injectors.

Steve.
not applicable
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Not quite decided on this yet... had a look at it, I can see there is more room to get in if the cam cover is removed, but not a lot of room to get on the injector , thin nosed grips I guess! How do you get the old washer out though - it must be a long way down. Presumably you just give the seat cutter a few turns till the seat it shiny again? How tight do you go on the nuts when you put it back - given these studs are delicate and angle tightened, should they be replaced, or is it just enough to nip up the nuts?

Just like to know what I am getting into.... :oops: [-o<
Richard W
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

When i did a big job on my sisters hdi 16 the dealer sold me new injector clamps.. they had superceeded the originals already so have had a redesign already... however the clamp posts that the long nuts go on to hold the clamps are damm right stupid and though the clamp nuts use a 5mm allen key on an ok thread the other end where the clamp bolts screw into the head im sure are a very weedy m6 thread!!! Bloody stupid! I tightend one and snapped the clamp bolt in half.. Can shaft / rocker covers wont come off with injectors in.. and amazingly the cam shafts are bolted to the underside of the cam cover... so when its lifted off the caps and cam shafts all come off with the cover...

A bit of an upside down design.. very stupidly complex!!
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

on the 307 i did i didnt remove the cam cover, it was No. 2 from gear box end, i undid theclamp nuts and the injector just lifted out,
i fished the washers out with a length of wire coat hanger with a right angled hook bent at the end, the copper one can be tight,
i also just tightened them back down with a 3/8th drive ratchet
Regards, malcolm.

RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Had it in today to get it done. Booked 3 hours, and it was difficult to get out, so glad I didn't tackle it - injector survived the experience so I was only relieved of £140. Much quieter, and much less smelly now!
Richard W
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

It's still not 100% happy....

When I was driving it on the mway on Sunday with cruise on it appeared to 'surge' a couple of times - and SWMBO reported momentary loss of power on the mway on Monday (which is probably the same thing, as I suspect she didn't have cruise on) :roll: Suspects include the injector not being thrilled about being taken out; the EGR valve; the underbonnet fuse box; others...??? Any ideas welcomed. A can of petrol and a box of matches is waiting :twisted:
Richard W
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

RichardW wrote:It's still not 100% happy....

When I was driving it on the mway on Sunday with cruise on it appeared to 'surge' a couple of times - and SWMBO reported momentary loss of power on the mway on Monday (which is probably the same thing, as I suspect she didn't have cruise on) :roll: Suspects include the injector not being thrilled about being taken out; the EGR valve; the underbonnet fuse box; others...??? Any ideas welcomed. A can of petrol and a box of matches is waiting :twisted:
Richard, this sounds similar to what I originally called "an elastic" feel to the powertrain. It's like a hesitation/flatspot, though I only sense it when accelerating. The closest description I found online is here, which also states the cause and fix (for his car).

http://www.citroen-owners-club.co.uk/ci ... t/?p=76136" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He diagosed the Turbo Vac Solenoid and replaced it for me there and then (about £45 +vat). Ever since, the car has been fine and touch wood I have not experinced the flat spot again since
RichardW
Forum Treasurer

Post by RichardW »

Mike

Hesitation through 1500 - 1800 rpm on acceleration is usually the EGR valve on these.

The turbo vac solenoid is a good thought for ours - that would sort of fit with a loss of power then suddenly coming back - I suspect the cruise was masking it and I only noticed when the power came back and it 'surged'. I imagine that if driving without cruise on you would notice more throttle required to keep it going as the power dropped off, then it coming back. Looks like the 307 uses the same solenoid so I could swap it over for a test - if I can find it!!
Richard W
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

I want to get to the cause of mine (under certain circumstances it's a safety concern) but higher priority jobs await which could be part of the problem anyway so will be interested to know what you find Richard and will be keeping an eye out for updates.
MikeT

Post by MikeT »

RichardW wrote:Mike

Hesitation through 1500 - 1800 rpm on acceleration is usually the EGR valve on these.
Although this fits my experience, I've also evidenced the hesitation at above 2000rpm, highest to date (that I notied) was 2500rpm.

Although it seems random, it's more evident when going up the gearbox, there's a distinct deceleration as I engage the next gear up (where the rpm drops down to around 1800rpm) and I begin applying throttle pressure.