"maximum additive level in the particle filter" error

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

haydent
My Cars: Citroen C5 II HDI

"maximum additive level in the particle filter" error

Post by haydent »

Hi, i have this permanent error in the injection ecu when reading with lexia

car is c5 '06 diesel with 150k

yesterday, on hard acceleration it came up with errors about the DPF and went into limp home mode, about max 10km/h , luckily had laptop with lexia and clearing faults in injection ecu got me going

my lexia doesnt seem to interface with the injection ecu as well as i believe it should, as some of the parameter reading dont seem correct and i cant seem to do a forced regen.

does any one know what this error is about ?
SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Re: "maximum additive level in the particle filter" error

Post by SaabC5 »

Maximum additive level in the particle filter? Do you mean maximum carbon level in the DPF? If its at its maximum level no forced regen will work anyway, the DPF will need to come off the car and be cleaned through using a caustic wheel cleaner type solution and a jet wash lance.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
haydent

Post by haydent »

thankyou for your reply this is the exact error:
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Pretty sure that that means that the additive residue (ie ash) limit has been reached in the DPF. Either needs to be cleaned or replaced....
Richard W
SaabC5

Post by SaabC5 »

What Richard said, your DPF is blocked. If you wind the window down you'll probably hear a hissing sound where the exhaust gasses are escaping through the exhaust joints because the DPF can't flow properly.
haydent

Post by haydent »

ok , ill look into that. thanks. So i looked at the pressure differential in lexia and it shows 0. as i said i think my lexia does not talk properly with the injection ecu, as it says it does not recognise it when connecting to it. ive read of others having trouble talking to the injection ecu too. mine is a siemens 803a

do you guys know anything about that issue ?
SaabC5

Post by SaabC5 »

Bosch system on mine.
haydent

Post by haydent »

So i hooked car up to snap on diagnostics tool today which actually communicates with the injection ecu better than the lexia...

and i was able to see fluctuating exhaust diferential pressure readings with rpm, and also that it had regened recently, there was still eolys in the tank and the filter load was at 4% so i started to think maybe the filter is not blocked...

so just on a chance i googled the error code number (P1445), and found a pug forum with a member with the same thing, (likely same engine/ecu), http://www.peugeotforums.com/forums/407 ... 445-15077/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

they understood it to mean too much additive has been used through the dpf, and its time for a replacement filter, EOL (end of life). and suggested just doing the replacement option in Peugeot planent (pug equivalent of lexia) , but not actually replace the filter as i assume its likely still ok and working. they report no problems, and the error gone away.

so anyway thats what im trying next, and it make more sense with the wording of the error, especially considering there are other errors for a blocked filter.

the snap on tool reported the error as: P1445 "Diesel additive system quantity too high"

here are some photos:
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It's blocked, or the DP sensor is knacked. Was that DP curve taken stationary? DP should not exceed 50-60mbar in that case.....
Richard W
haydent

Post by haydent »

i was stationary, you can see when i rev it, at idle it is 0mbar, the 2 graphs correlate at same time, so as you see top one go up (revs) the bottom one goes up too, (pressure)

do you think that pressure still seems excessive given the rpm ?
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

I would run it through a stationary regen cycle to ensure its fully flushed and see if another member can post up what theirs is like when running so you can compare pressure differentials.

I'd also think about taking it out and standing it on one end and with the end pointing to the sky squirt oven cleaner in it until it foams out the top, leave for 30mins and repeat until the oven cleaner spray can is empty. Then leave another hour and wash out over a drain as there will be A LOT of soot that comes out of the thing.

This should then be followed by the pug advice and then try again for a short run with the car :)
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Old thread revival. I have this "permamanent fault" too and investigation shows the DPF is getting regenerated just fine (soot load goes back down to 3% on standard regens and went down to 0% on a forced regeneration) with no other additive-related faults so it does appear either the filter has outlasted it's predicted life (75,000miles) or mine was previously replaced without telling the ECU.

Apparently, the ECU keeps a tally of total additive used in the DPF as the cerin does not get combusted in the regeneration process and eventually blocks the filter over the speciified mileage.

I'll see if I can find the option to tell the ECU the DPF has been replaced and see if that cures it.
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

MikeT wrote:I'll see if I can find the option to tell the ECU the DPF has been replaced and see if that cures it.
Hmm, not easy but got there in the end.
First likely option Particle Filter menu to test the DPF for soot loading to see if it needs replacing - nope, only for cars made after 2009.
Second option to replace the DPF itself - this function is not possible.
In a different submenu I found a counter reset option which changed the count from 84g to zero.
Success! :)

Only 4 more permanent faults left to demistify and rectify.... :lol:
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

hi all! long time no speak.

My x7 has logged a p1445 recently, just noticed it tonight with Diag.
When looking at the exhaust-train menu, my DPF is showing 100%, my eel fluid (or what its called) remaining is about 1L

so, I am guessing really I should tear the DPF off, and clean it.. then reset something or other (2 things?) and see what happens.

Also, the car has developed an annoying misfire at 1500-1800 RPM, most noticeable in 3rd, but there in other gears.. the car shudders... is there a tiny chance this could be related to the DPF?

Has anyone removed a 163 RHH DPF before? I havent looked under the car for, well, ever.. not sure what I will find and how tricky it may be to remove the thing..

thanks,
John

ps. the average KM per last 10 regens is about 250, but the error logged - I think - says the last regen was 1800km ago!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Hi John

Well take your pick, but the code would indicate that the limit of additive has been injected into the filter from the codes:
  • Additive adding : The quantity of additive injected into the particulate emission filter has exceeded the maximum threshold
  • Additive system : Maximum additive in the particle filter threshold
  • Purge Flow Sensor Circuit High Input
So I'll look into the code in more detail for you - but I'm wondering if it is now thinking that the amount of unburned Cerine must be at the limit from the amount of additive that has been used - and so regeneration isn't possible (whether it actually is, or whether the ECU is theoretically deciding it is, I can't say yet).

How many miles has it got on it now John?
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc