1.6 Hdi / DV4 / DV6 turbo feed modification.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: 1.6 Hdi / DV4 / DV6 turbo feed modification.

Post by Mandrake »

Apparently Citroen learnt nothing from last time then ? ;)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Or they're trying to offload an order of gauze filters placed in 1987 where an office boy mischievously added two zeroes to the quantity...
demag
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: "H" Citroen Bx Tgs Automatic.
2006 Toyota Prius T4 Gen 2.

Post by demag »

Just heard my car is ready so will try and pick it up today.

First job get that filter removed!

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Tapatalk
Dave
2011 Peugeot 3008 1.6hdi Exclusive EGS.
'04 C5 auto estate 2.2 hdi. Gone.
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

demag wrote:Just heard my car is ready so will try and pick it up today.

First job get that filter removed!

Sent from my HUAWEI P6-U06 using Tapatalk
Nice one! I hope it's trouble free from now on. Btw, I've spotted you over on the Berlingo forum where I go by the name of MikeP1973...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

I was just reading Bulletin B1HG018VP0 - Removing and Refitting the Turbo and it specifically states to REMOVE the filter in the turbo oil feed pipe before refitting. So the dealers are not adhering to their own service/repair bulletins. What chance do we stand? :evil:
Dave
Bx 1.6 TGS Auto 50k A rare beast by all accounts. A bit tired but getting better by the day. Gone.
'96 XM 2.5TD VSX.......Sadly sold. What an idiot! I should have held on to that.
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

I think you stand a very good chance...

Of encountering people who don't read all the instructions. :x
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Lighty wrote:I would strongly recommend removing the filter on ALL 1.6 hdi engines. We have had some well looked after vehicles with turbo failure, so don't think yours will be ok.
I wish you hadn't said that Lighty.... without warning ours has run its turbo today :twisted: :roll: Only 70k, not missed an oil change (although no idea what spec the oil was to of course), a very small amount of oil blow by on no 3 injector. It sounds terrible, and whipped off the air inlet hose and there is a lot of play in the turbo shaft #-o

Ho hum, onwards and upwards.... :mrgreen:
Richard W
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, my van (Peugeot Partner 1.6HDi 13 reg) was serviced today, and it appears that the turbo/DPF arrangement has been modified, and the turbo oil feed pipe has an Allan key bolt on it).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

RichardW wrote:
Lighty wrote:I would strongly recommend removing the filter on ALL 1.6 hdi engines. We have had some well looked after vehicles with turbo failure, so don't think yours will be ok.
I wish you hadn't said that Lighty.... without warning ours has run its turbo today :twisted: :roll: Only 70k, not missed an oil change (although no idea what spec the oil was to of course), a very small amount of oil blow by on no 3 injector. It sounds terrible, and whipped off the air inlet hose and there is a lot of play in the turbo shaft #-o

Ho hum, onwards and upwards.... :mrgreen:
Argh!! Gutted for you Richard. :( I know how it feels to have a turbo failure (been there done that) and the costs to get it sorted...

Clearly a design flaw, that a well looked after example can go at 70k... do you think the turbo could be replaced/refurbished on its own, or do you suspect all the oil ways must be choked up with carbon as that linked article showed ? :(

Hopefully the Xant will keep soldiering on in the mean time! [-o<
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Cheers Simon! I think that article is an extreme example - it was only serviced twice in 60k miles. I suspect ours is just a bit sludged up, and the filter in the pipe is blocked. There has always been a bit of whine on the turbo on this one, but it hadn't got any worse recently. I drove it last weekend and didn't notice anything untoward, but it went from OK to shot in about 10 miles! There's an outfit over at Paisley that will rebuild it, hoping to get it over there tomorrow - mind you progress so far has been stalled by trying to get the darned heat shield off the DPF - how hard does it have to be????
Richard W
Bob L'eponge

Post by Bob L'eponge »

Bob L'eponge wrote:For comparisons with Lighty's photos, here is the new banjo bolt with the filter pulled out so you can see it. Not only does the new filter have a larger surface area and a larger 'capacity' before it would be blocked by any particles, it also seems to have a finer mesh.

Just a quick update on this. (Better late than never!)

When I got around to taking the old banjo bolt out I found that it was already fitted with the 'new' style filter as in the picture above. I am sure that it hasn't been changed during a service, so they must have done away with the old style one sometime before November 2009.

My car has about 90,000 miles on it and I found that the filter was still as clean as whistle, with no sign of anything being caught in it, so it seems that not everyone of these motors blocks up their turbo oil feed lines, which might give someone a bit of comfort / hope!
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

Richard that was how mine went. All in a very short space of time. An oil pressure warning on the dash and a bit of stuttering from the engine and it was all over.

Bob that is great news for you but isn't it strange how some cars get caught with this and others run to high mileage without a problem. It just seems to be the luck of the draw.
I have just covered 500 miles since mine was repaired at Christmas and will book it in for a service this week. I'll get the garage to check the filter has been removed at the same time.
Dave
Bob L'eponge

Post by Bob L'eponge »

Hi demag,

Rather a late reply, but given that this seems to be a widespread issue the info might be useful to someone.

To be honest, I think that having the new-style filter / strainer fitted is probably better than having no filter at all.

My reasoning is that if an engine does suffer from any internal carbonisation due to neglected oil changes or sub-specification oil being used, then there could well be some build up in the internal oilways that are 'downstream' of the main oil filter. If any of this comes away it will either end up in the turbo bearings or be trapped by the filter, and it would take quite a bit of carbon to block the new higher capacity strainer.

This possible issue of deposits in the internal, engine oilways 'downstream' of the oil filter could also explain just where the carbon that gets into the turbo comes from in the first place, assuming that a filter isn't so blocked that the oil filter by-pass operates.

It is good practice to change the external oil pipe when replacing a turbo, so guaranteeing that there will be no deposits downstream of the strainer, but given that this is an external pipe I would doubt that it would directly suffer from carbonisation due to overheating in any case.

Cheers!
Axa
My Cars: 2008 Renault Grand Espace 2.0dci Auto.
2006 Citroën C5 1.6hdi.

Post by Axa »

Is it possible that the strainer/filters by them self can be a part of the oil starvation issue?
I would be interesting to see if there is any difference in oil-flow, test with and without the strainer. Specially the new type of strainer with plastic frame that decrease the inside radius of the oilpipe!
2006 C5 1.6 HDi ( vin: VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff] )
2008 Grand Espace 2.0Dci Auto
demag
(Donor 2016)

Post by demag »

So there I was driving along a couple of hours ago when all of a sudden beep beep beep low oil pressure! I've checked the level and it's bang on the mark. Here we go again, I'm going to do this myself so I know it gets done properly I'm fed up of Citroen dealers!
Do I have to drop the exhaust or is it possible to work around it?
Dave