Trip computer button not working

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Petroldrinker

Trip computer button not working

Post by Petroldrinker »

Hi all.

I get no response from the trip computer button on the end of the wiper stalk. Has anyone encountered this. How would I go about fault finding? Also if I start removing the shroud around the steering column do I run the risk of having an airbag make a dent in my face?

All advice is appreciated.

Many thanks.
My £500 Citroen C5 makes me smile.

02 Citroen C5 2.2 HDI SX
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Re: Trip computer button not working

Post by myglaren »

It is a very common problem. It is the rather fragile contact spring under the button that distorts.
You can with great care lift the button out and clean and reshape the spring BUT it is very easy to lose bits or break the spring.
Mine on my first C5 only worked for about an hour. Never did get round to fixing it.
Petroldrinker

Post by Petroldrinker »

Okay I'll try that tomorrow, thank you. I would like to get it working. Something to play with on long journeys.

02 Citroen C5 2.2 HDI SX
micky707
My Cars:

Post by micky707 »

That packed up on my xsara and never bothered to get it sorted as I was advised it could be about £250 to replace stalk and reset comms.
Micky

Citroen C5 2.0 HDI VTR 138 48k
Citroen Xsara 1.6SX Brilliant car, 9 years and 119000 Miles
2 Pug 306's
Peugeot 207 1.4 Sport
Citroen ZX 1.9D

If it aint broke.......
Petroldrinker

Post by Petroldrinker »

I found some helpful advice on another forum and managed to fix the problem quickly. This was the process;

1. With two fine instrument screwdrivers, prise the end button off the stalk. This has an extended plastic arm which passes through the wiper switch housing and there is a 12mm spring behind it which also comes away.
2. With pliers, nip together the two plastic central clips to remove the wiper switch housing. Be careful if your car is an estate as the assembly has two shiny spring loaded plungers which lock the switch in the two positions for the rear window wiper.
3. Remove the wiper switch housing to expose a small printed circuit board and a circular brass switch.
4. Again with pliers, nip the centre plastic clips to remove the plastic twin plunger housing. The circular brass switch can now be removed.

It was then I could identify the problem, a small piece of the brass contact which the end button arm pushed against had broken off, which needed some delicate soldering to fix it back.

The twin plunger is then relocated in the switch housing. If you are like me you will definitely ping the springs away on the first attempt so it's a good idea to do this somewhere that it will be easy to find them. The brass switch can now be relocated, it is shaped to only fit one way. A small dob of grease can hold it in place. The whole unit can now be put back on the plastic clips, it will relocate with a snap. The button relocates easily.

I will admit to being a bit astonished when I put it all back together and it worked :)

02 Citroen C5 2.2 HDI SX
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Top job mate....top job
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
roammin
My Cars:

Post by roammin »

I had the same problem, plus both left and right indicators wouldn't cancel. Replacing the module that has both indicator and wiper stalks fixed everything for me. got the part from a wrecker so not so sure how long it will last.
Steffe
My Cars:

Post by Steffe »

Petroldrinker wrote:I found some helpful advice on another forum and managed to fix the problem quickly. This was the process;

1. With two fine instrument screwdrivers, prise the end button off the stalk. This has an extended plastic arm which passes through the wiper switch housing and there is a 12mm spring behind it which also comes away.
2. With pliers, nip together the two plastic central clips to remove the wiper switch housing. Be careful if your car is an estate as the assembly has two shiny spring loaded plungers which lock the switch in the two positions for the rear window wiper.
3. Remove the wiper switch housing to expose a small printed circuit board and a circular brass switch.
4. Again with pliers, nip the centre plastic clips to remove the plastic twin plunger housing. The circular brass switch can now be removed.

It was then I could identify the problem, a small piece of the brass contact which the end button arm pushed against had broken off, which needed some delicate soldering to fix it back.

The twin plunger is then relocated in the switch housing. If you are like me you will definitely ping the springs away on the first attempt so it's a good idea to do this somewhere that it will be easy to find them. The brass switch can now be relocated, it is shaped to only fit one way. A small dob of grease can hold it in place. The whole unit can now be put back on the plastic clips, it will relocate with a snap. The button relocates easily.

I will admit to being a bit astonished when I put it all back together and it worked :)

Just had to say thanks for this post, I had (still have, though I got a cheap set of stalks that I'm waiting for currently) the exact same problem, and this post helped me find the problem :) I fail to see how they thought this was a good design, but I guess you have to take it for what it is now ;p
Citroën C5 '03