C5 X7 ambient lighting (and some other bits and pieces)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

vborovic
Locked user account
My Cars: A used Citroen

Re: C5 X7 ambient lighting

Post by vborovic »

Patience ain't cheap, but cheaper than doing something on-the-fly ... :D ... now I need to figure out what to do with the tailpipe (single pipe, bent downwards of course), and install the tips to the bumper (the easiest part) ... and then off to find the best detachable tow bar (the genuine one is much too expensive for what it offers - the hidden version).
Last edited by vborovic on 08 Oct 2016, 17:52, edited 1 time in total.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I use a standard Witter tow bar.
If you take off the Ball the reversing sensors are OK and it only has the flange showing, I tuck the electric socket and plate up behind and cable tie.
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I was thinking about a Westfalia tow bar hidden solution, with the original wiring kit (to have the advanced ESP active and the auto-disable of the parking sensors if something towable is attached)
Last edited by vborovic on 08 Oct 2016, 17:53, edited 2 times in total.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

I'm cheep :)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Xantippa
My Cars: Now:
C5 X7 HDi 240 Exclusive Tourer
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
C5 X7 HDi136 Exclusive Sedan A
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

vborovic wrote:I was thinking about a Westfalia tow bar hidden solution, with the original wiring kit (to have the advanced ESP active and the auto-disable of the parking sensors if something towable is attached)
How about this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/380662056772 ? Hidden one and with plug- and play wiring kit and I think also with brains that tell ESP if you are towing something or not.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Thanks for the tip, but I honestly can't count the different models I've come across so far (mostly via ebay) ... the shipping isn't specified, but I'd say it wouldn't be cheaper than 100 € (size is the limiting factor), which would then be more expensive than what I can purchase here ... I was thinking of getting any hidden towbar, and then opt for the genuine Citroen wiring kit, because you need to get the computer module that get's installed in the boot, which then does all the handy electrical work ... other solutions (at least on paper) don't have a guarantee that electrically everything will work 100% as a genuine solution (and since I'm all up for genuine so far, I want to continue that tradition) ... in all honesty, I don't know if I'll ever have a need for towing, but I'll at least know that the car is 100% ready for any such challenge
Last edited by vborovic on 08 Oct 2016, 17:53, edited 1 time in total.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Well, after a long time back to the lighting board for me ... today I've noticed my dipped beam H7 went out (Philips DiamondVision, after 1 year 8 months and about 30.000 km), since they don't sell those in Croatia, I have to order from somewhere online ... and, I guess I'll experiment a bit and grab something juicier (not HIDs), light output-wise ... also, the car is in for regular maintenance in a few days (@ 145.000 km), hopefully we'll figure out a suitable solution for my exhaust tips as well, once the car will be at the garage ...
Xantippa
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

vborovic wrote:Thanks for the tip, but I honestly can't count the different models I've come across so far (mostly via ebay) ... the shipping isn't specified, but I'd say it wouldn't be cheaper than 100 € (size is the limiting factor), which would then be more expensive than what I can purchase here ... I was thinking of getting any hidden towbar, and then opt for the genuine Citroen wiring kit, because you need to get the computer module that get's installed in the boot, which then does all the handy electrical work ... other solutions (at least on paper) don't have a guarantee that electrically everything will work 100% as a genuine solution (and since I'm all up for genuine so far, I want to continue that tradition) ... in all honesty, I don't know if I'll ever have a need for towing, but I'll at least know that the car is 100% ready for any such challenge
On finnish Citroen forum some guy installed just that tow bar and it works 100%.

Here's how he did it (unfortunately in finnish, but there's many pictures and google translate helps if needed): http://kastruuna.blogspot.fi/2014/05/ve ... ennus.html

I think that computer module you're talking about is already installed, and you need to do a bit of programming with Lexia to finish towbar installation.
vborovic
Locked user account

Re: C5 X7 ambient lighting (and some other bits and pieces)

Post by vborovic »

Thanks for the provided link, very photographic ... shame that it isn't shown how the wiring loom was connected (the tow bar socket) ... if it was connected at all, because in the intro part it doesn't get show, just the tow bar itself, no socket (7-pin or 13-pin) ... I'll have to go through my car once again, that module is still am mystery to me, because I found on several occasions that the wiring kit has that module included (that's why the genuine wiring kit costs so much) ... initially I though that the "module" is the parking computer (partly makes sense due to it's position already in the boot), but never got the confirmation about it ...

EDIT: Didn't figure out from the text, whether the bumper was cut out in the middle or not (the tow bars I've looked up all had to have a minor bumper modification, by cutting out several cm of plastic, for the central tow column to come into place)
Xantippa
ZOE 22kwh Intense
Before:
C4 1,6 Coupe Automatic
Xantia HDi110 Berline
Xantia 1,8SX Berline

Post by Xantippa »

The car's connector for towbar wiring loom should be hidden inside foam somewhere behind that hatch. If I understood correctly look first in the top part, it should be there.

One shouldn't do any programming with lexia if wiring loom isn't connected.
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

I'll let you know in a few days, but I still believe there is another computer module required for the tow bar to work as it should ... on another note, today I had the car serviced in my usual Citroen Dealer's Garage ... guess what? The steering rack is leaking ... !#%? ... not much, but it leaks ... they told me they have a handy guy that fixes them, and have several cars that already did more than 30.000 kms with the repaired racks ... the alternative is of course a new one, which costs ... a lot (or not, if you look at the total new car value) ...
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Sorry to hear that - had mine done a few thousand miles ago - but under warranty, otherwise anything around the £2k mark from main dealer for a new one. Rust is the killer on the shaft, ruining the seals, which aren't separately available if I remember.

Few options here from Citroen owners club that you may already have seen: http://www.citroen-owners-club.co.uk/ci ... placement/
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

This is how the situation looks like (photo taken by the mechanic):
C5_SERVOe2d0_zps7rbr9i82.jpg
Last edited by GiveMeABreak on 13 Nov 2021, 09:47, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Restored Images
vborovic
Locked user account

Post by vborovic »

Regarding the tow bar, I don't think I've mentioned this before, but in Croatia, I can't install it myself, because I won be able to register the tow bar at the MOT station ... they can only be installed by certified tow bar installers (usual garages and workshops, the tow bar of course needs to have the manufacturers certificate of compliance), and with their receipt I then have to go to the MOT station, where they'll "test" the mounted tow bar, and I'll have to pay roughly 30 GBP for a piece of paper and a new entry in my car's papers, that it now has the tow bar installed ... if the Finnish guy installed it himself (and was able to register it without extra installation costs), good for him ... :(
Last edited by vborovic on 08 Oct 2016, 17:54, edited 1 time in total.
jgra1
(Donor 2021)
My Cars: 2010 C5 X7 2.0 hdi 160 exc auto
MG TF 135
Boxer II 2.2 camper conversion
BMW R1200RT
BMW K1300 R
Honda V F R 800 5thG / MT500 Armstrong

Post by jgra1 »

let me know if I can help Vb.. as my X7 has a tow bar on..

John