Temp. reading

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

xenton

Temp. reading

Post by xenton »

Been meaning to ask you knowledgeable lot this for a while now. The temp on my display always shows 61 degress C, always, never changes. Is this a sensor gone somewhere and is it an easy fix?
Mark D.
2001 C5 2.0 HPi exec.
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Re: Temp. reading

Post by spider »

I think (until you get a correct answer) the sensor lives in the left hand mirror, regardless of LHD / RHD. It should be easy to replace once you remove the mirror glass (without breaking it!) in most cases.

Note I'm basing this info on 406's / 306's though...

I would expect it to display -- if the sensor had died completely though. Not sure if a Lexia will assist with this or not actually. I would guess it would at least allow you to read the outside temp sensor and then you could compare it to the display inside the car.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
MichaelH

Post by MichaelH »

Same problem but no reading at all....So come on folks, how do you remove the mirror without breaking it?
I've got photochromic glass which need a mortgage to replace.
(answers please for either Xenton's 2001 C5 1, or my 2008 C5 3)
UK Midlands currently with C5 (X7) Exclusive 2.0 HDI + 2 Pug 306s (Meridian and L) and a Pug 206L a/c
Previous C5 1 Exclusive 2.0 HDI, Pug 407LX HDI, 2No. Pug 406s LX HDI, Pug 309GLD, Pug 205GL, Pug 505GL, Pug 604SE, Pug 504ti
oneday
My Cars:

Post by oneday »

i know on the mk1 and 2 you can buy the painted plastic part of the mirror so you must be able to remove that to gain access to the temp probe not sure about the 2008 model
C5 2.0 HDI VTR 2003 ICELANDIC GREY
306 1.4 LX MERIDIAN
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

There is a description somewhere and the glass does have to come out but it isn't that difficult (allegedly).

I think it is that, if you look carefully beyond the edge of the mirror there are a pair of wire clips visible (at the top, IIRC) and with a suitable implement these clips are moved toward one another, releasing the glass (which then falls to the ground and breaks, no doubt :twisted: )
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

For the C5(X7) you're supposed to tilt the mirror downwards, force the glass outwards from the top with a blunt tool (plastic spatula type arrangement), and unclip the 8 fixing lugs. The service manual doesn't say anything about picking up the now broken bits of glass [-o<
Replacing the C5(X7) temp sensor is a simple cut the wires and crimp in new ones affair - after first switching off the ignition and waiting 3 minutes before disconnecting the battery, according to the service manual......
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
spider
My Cars: Soon, I hope...

Post by spider »

If you're lucky the wiring to the element (if heated mirrors) will stop it falling to the ground.

A simple alternative: Stick a piece of masking tape to the mirror outer housing and the glass, leave about 3 or 4 inches 'slack' in the middle so you can carry on working. It should catch it if it tried to make a break (no pun intended I think) for freedom.
Andy.

91 205D-Turbo, gone but still missed
02 106D, TUD5B, gone but not really missed apart from the MPG
xenton

Post by xenton »

I should also of mentioned if I set my CC to 27 it blows hot and 26 and below blows cold, I'm guessing this goes of an internal sensor, could the two problems together indicate a fault else where.
Mark D.
2001 C5 2.0 HPi exec.