2.7HDI Heard pop, loss of power, depollution faulty. Advice?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nickyg
My Cars:

2.7HDI Heard pop, loss of power, depollution faulty. Advice?

Post by nickyg »

Hello again everyone!

Here is my situation, I hope you can help in some way! As some may recall I had a previous issue (coolant leak) with my C6. I found that it was the plastic water intake manifold on the block which was leaking and I finally got it changed. Leak is gone there, at least!

Anyway, I had the car jacked up for over a week, so it was lying off the level on two wheels towards passenger side whilst obtaining these parts and working on it (turbo intake pipe, aux belt, condenser and alternator had to be removed to access leaky part|)

I mention the jacking as I would like someone more knowledgeable than I to consider the possibility that disturbed sediment in fuel, or dpf/fap particles in the filter could bring on an" engine depollution system system faulty" warning. This warning appeared after 5 mins driving after filling, bleeding the coolant system. I went to add my first bit of speed (overtake at 40-50mph) heard (I think!) a pop/bang then experienced loss of power. I immediately thought I may have popped something in the radiator ( and when I stopped I saw I was very slightly over the max coolant mark. I drained a little from under the radiator, then drove on.

Then I got the on screen warning regarding depollution system (still very juddery and little power), stopped again checked all I could, set off again. I got a further message when nearly home and I decided to see what would happen if I briefly floored the accelerator "risk of clogging particle filter".

When home, and selecting reverse it died completely. Doesnt look like it will stay running now, as it took a couple of cut outs and restarts and heavy revving to reverse in from the middle of the road!

May I also mention that a a 50mm rigid turbo air intake pipe from the air chamber on the side of the radiator to a manifold (then into an egr) split whilst removing to get at the block on my coolant leak repair. I had to splice the pipe with a tightly fitting internal plastic pipe, and used a little duct sealant also. There is a very slim chance that this repair may not be 100% air tight, but I'm not sure how much pressure this pipe would be under. I thought it would be really no more pressure than an air intake pipe, but perhaps I'm wrong. Could a small wisp of escaping air before reaching the egr and turbo upset the mix so much as to give a depollution system warning? Perhaps an unspotted piece of debris left in the pipe from the repair blown on towards the egr?

Other things flying around my head are: dpf contents dumped into cat? exhaust blocked? turbo blown or blocked? wiring disturbed, eolys empty, egr blocked etc. I am semi literate in these things, but not experienced by a long chalk, as you may tell by my ramblings!

Sorry for the relatively complex picture here, guys. I'm trying to offer some of the reasoning and possibilities going through my mind, as well as a complete picture for someone better than I to offer an opinion.

I actually do have a lexia, but it is out of commission until I can get my little netbook screen repaired, which clearly now will be a matter of urgency for Monday! I will obviously try that for fault codes as soon as I can.

I am going to change the fuel filter tomorrow, that's about all I can think to do to help at this point (being a weekend).

It may well just be that my dpf is simply ready for replacement (84k miles) but I'm sure you will see from above that there are several other circumstantial/coincidental factors that warrant extra consideration. (The bang before power loss, the extended period jacked to the side, the repaired turbo intake pipe etc)

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions that are offered!

:wink:
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Re: 2.7HDI Heard pop, loss of power, depollution faulty. Adv

Post by Peter.N. »

It could well just be coincidence and the DPF is clogged, have you done any longish high speed runs lately, is it out of eoloys, is the DPF system in fact working? You really need the fault codes reading.

Peter
Deanxm
My Cars: Citroen XM

Post by Deanxm »

sorry cant read all that as ive got one mother of a headache and looking at the screen is doing my eyes BUT a pop and loss of power has to be a boost pipe poipping off or splitting, when they come off the can take other things out with them so that would be my first port of call.

As Peter says you really need those fault codes reading off and clearing.

D
XM Prestige PRV6 92
Talbot Express Autotrail Chinook 89
Mitsubishi L200 Trojan 14
Xantia Activa 95, sold (missed)

Service Citroen is awesome, it shows me pictures of all the parts i used to be able to buy............
Trainman
(Donor 2018)
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.
2019 C5 1.6 Aircross Flair+ in Platinum Grey with Claudia Rimini Leather
2017 1.6HDi Berlingo Van - the works van

Post by Trainman »

Again I would concur with both Peter and Dean, is there anybody near you that could run a Lexia over it for you? where abouts are you?
Steve

2008 C6 2.7 Exclusive in Mativoire Beige with Vitali Leather.

http://c6owners.org/index.php
nickyg
My Cars:

Post by nickyg »

Thanks ever so much for the replies thus far guys. Much appreciated.

Ps. When I mention about the repair needed to the 50mm air pipe from radiator, I obviously meant intercooler! (Always make that amateur mistake!) It heads to a manifold, on to the egr and turbo etc. As you can tell, I am only partially versed in these matters, and am not sure how critical a small peice of debris or stray duct sealant from the repair blown through may impact that system. Or if it is under a higher pressure than I thought and the repair lets a wisp of air through. Again, I'm not clued in as to how that would affect the workings.

Yes, I am in the process today of sorting out the screen on my little netbook that runs lexia. Hopefully I will get a reading done tonight and have a peek throught the fault codes and get back to the forum!

Obviously, my mind is racing as to the possibility of what could be wrong with my pride and joy! I would gladly take, right now, it being a coincidence and a straightforward fap changeout or steam/pressure wash! I could do that myself, I am confident of that.

However, starting to consider the possibility of getting at the 2 egrs and turbos on this engine is bringing me out in a cold sweat! I've just spent a total of about 5 or more hours under the car replacing the leaky coolant manifold and aux belt Getting at the turbos, pipes and egrs etc seems worse! :shock:

It just felt so bad for the car to judder home. Then worse still to conk out repeatedly when attempting to reverse in off the road. It felt so.. critical, if you know what I mean? I cant help but think that something I have done during dealing with this coolant issue has had some effect, but I cant fathom what it could possibly be?

Thanks again, everyone. Will get back with lexia readings asap.

:wink:
Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Post by Trainman »

Nicky, I forgot to mention there is a dedicated C6 forum http://www.C6Owners.org" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Steve

nickyg
My Cars:

Post by nickyg »

Thanks for the thoughts Trainman!

I am indeed a premium member of that site! But I reckon the knowledge base on this particular site may help me to greater degree! :-)
Trainman
(Donor 2018)

Post by Trainman »

Nick, actually you're probably right, there are a number of motor engineers around and about on here :-D
Steve

SaabC5
My Cars: 09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive

Post by SaabC5 »

Definitely check all the pipework for the intercooler, it's under high pressure when you accelerate and will split or pop off quite readily if the hose ends aren't clamped securely. Also inspect for holes and tears using a spray bottle of soapy water solution that will bubble when it finds a hole.
09 C5 X7 2.0Hdi Exclusive in Perla Nera black (the best colour) :wink:
nickyg
My Cars:

Post by nickyg »

Hello again everyone,

I am the OP so thought I would pop in and show a bit of (belated) manners and bring a bit of closure to this issue, and aid any future searchers.

Been working away from home a lot, and been tinkering with the C6 in between but, with regards this issue, I can offer the following.

Found the return pipe from intercooler to air inlet manifold had popped clean off. It had to be removed for access to the Aux belt and subsequent dropping of air con and alternator to reach water inlet flange for replacement.

I split it trying to remove and didn't reclamp correctly. Visibilty and access is horrendous and I had clamped slightly on top of the ridged areas, rather than securely behind it. Saabc5, you are so right. This rather extreme looking clamping arrangement was vital, as the pressure was enough to swiftly blow the significant friction provided by a well done up jubilee clip/rubber gasket on the air inlet manifold. Regarding the hose/pipe split. I repaired it by sliding a 200mm section of thin plasting piping, exactly matching the internal diameter of the intercooler pipe and thinly coated with high grade duct sealant, then joined up again and let all set. Essentially a splice. All free from my work!

However, I am trying to get to the bottom of some lexia fault codes probably relating to turbo and exhaust pressure sensor issues (hopefully sensors only, but possibly not). In light of the aforementioned high intercooler return pressures I may just bite the bullet and spend the £50-£60 to replace my repaired pipe, horrible access and all!

I have done a fair bit of work including totally replacing and/or refurbing the brake pads, discs, calipers etc, full service, frip ball joints (the famous 407 horrors!), new battery, eolys refill, water flange replaced, aux belt etc. I am on the home straight now this week and am at the replacement of the LDS tank (hairline egress of fluid along centre manufacturing seal) and screwing in 3 new front spheres whilst the opportunity is open me to do this once drained and depressurised. Also relacement of nsf xenon ballast (and new bulbs whilst the bumper's off and lamps are out).

Finally, the fault codes that presented in Lexia in relation to this issue in menu HDI_SID201 (injection) were/are:

p0299. Permanent fault. Turbo pressure signal. Turbo pressure measured too low / turbo pressure setting.
p2279. Permanent fault. Turbo pressure signal. Pressure too low for engine torque and engine speed (leak after turbo).
p1457. Permanent fault. Exhaust differential pressure sensor signal. Particle filter or sensor absent.

I was unable to clear these codes as I was able to with others for a clean slate, so am still actually unsure whether I am out of the woods, so to speak! (though the last, p1457, seems to me to be sensor 1618z9 or its older version number 161809 needing replaced).

Regarding my inability to clear the injection menu fault codes for a rescan. It asked me to input my current mileage details etc and a screen regarding 8 out of 50 resets or similar (apologies, will rescan and photograph asap and edit to be clearer!).

I will start a new topic for some help on these other Lexia related things. I have typed the above codes and descriptions as accurately as I can within this post, though, in the hope that it will aid someone else with a future problem and searching exercise.

So thats it from me in this thread. Thank you once more to everyone who helped. Hope this thread will help someone, sometime! ;-)
danibranescu
My Cars: Citroen C5

Re: 2.7HDI Heard pop, loss of power, depollution faulty. Advice?

Post by danibranescu »

Hi Guys have you manage to repair the car. i have a similar Citroen with the same problem. Please adivise if is possible?
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: 2.7HDI Heard pop, loss of power, depollution faulty. Advice?

Post by xantia_v6 »

The original poster of this topic has not been around this forum for about 6 years, so it is unlikely that you will bet a response from him.

The best thing to do is tell us about the symptoms that your car has and what diagnostics have been done.