Citroen C5 - N/S FRONT BRAKE CALIPER PROBLEM

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jeff
My Cars:

Post by Jeff »

Thanks Citroenmad, I will wind back the caliper a bit and see what happens.

Regarding the handbrake sticking on while driving, the lever can be reached with the road wheel on and pulled by hand to release. Easier with a bit of cardboard or clean floor to lay on. Last winter mine was sticking badly when it was snowing heavily & on the way to work....Citroen ownership make's for interesting situations :D
coastline taxis

Post by coastline taxis »

The gude i posted is for the installation of new/recon calipers and once set up properley the handbrake lever can be moved as many times as you like without any damage to the caliper. Sugest you phone your supplier and ask them
Citroenmad
My Cars: 07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
07 Citroen C5 HDi VTR - Red
09 Citroen C3 1.4i VTR - Silver
01 Citroen Saxo 1.1i Forte - Mango Orange
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Jeff wrote:Thanks Citroenmad, I will wind back the caliper a bit and see what happens.

Regarding the handbrake sticking on while driving, the lever can be reached with the road wheel on and pulled by hand to release. Easier with a bit of cardboard or clean floor to lay on. Last winter mine was sticking badly when it was snowing heavily & on the way to work....Citroën ownership make's for interesting situations :D
Yeah, I did free it off that way in the end, though it was very stiff.
Chris
07 Citroen C6 V6 HDi Exclusive - Red
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

One of my caliper handbrake levers became stiff a while ago, allowing the cable to fall off occasionally, though it didn't cause binding.
I freed it using a few drops of penetrating oil applied to its shaft, followed by engine oil a few minutes later, repeated several times over a few weeks. I don't know if that's the approved method, but it worked for me!
Jeff
My Cars:

Tale of Woe

Post by Jeff »

Fitted new handbrake cables today and checked the n/s caliper's handbrake lever. it moves freely but not pushing the piston out to squeeze the pads onto the disc. So I wound it back in fully and then back out but lever still moves freely and no effect on the piston.

After previous posts, back in november I wound the piston back in fully then back out snug to fit the pads and the caliper handbrake mechanism worked.

since I have had trouble with the handbrake cables freezing in the guide tubes so had to disconnect n/s, today replaced cables and the caliper is playing up a gain.

I know I have asked this before but is there a way of resetting the caliper handbrake lever mechanism?
Jeff
My Cars:

Post by Jeff »

bumped this to the top as similar thread asking same questions regarding H/B problems.
Jeff
My Cars:

Re: Citroën C5 - N/S FRONT BRAKE CALIPER PROBLEM

Post by Jeff »

Well, I/ve come complete circle.....after renewing the n/s caliper 1-2 years ago the o/s is now playing up. Its the caliper handbrake lever mechanism thats sticking on solid. I spayed a bit of WD40 in and it loosened off like new then the following day back to stuck on.

I've read here that the handbrake caliper lever can be eased off by continually working and lubricating but......

(1) Do I need to remove / loosen the caliper and have it on its side (for the fluid to run in/clean the mechanism)
(2) would PLUSGAS be good for easing it off and would it be safe to use inside the caliper
(3) after using PLUSGAS (or similar) do I need to then use a lubricant
(4) should i or can i remove the handbrake lever from the caliper to get better access to squirt in fluid
(5) any good tips to free the mechanism?
(6) is there a diagram or description of the mechanism to gauge whats wrong? Without knowing whats inside its hard to know whats required.

Renewed thanks
Jeff
Currently driving Citroen c5 2.0 HDI 51 Plate
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Ive had this on a few C5s now, Ive tried squirting in lubricating fluid. Ive tried taking the calliper off, putting it on its side and dropping in lubrication while working the lever. Ive had the lever off (you can remove it, its got a torx bolt on the back) and dropped in more oil, then put the lever back on and worked it, then remove and do it again.

I can say that this only proved to be a temporary fix and they have always stuck on again, sometimes a week later sometimes a month or two later. I went through a few weeks of it sticking on and then putting in more lubrication but it doesnt last.

Ive just replaced a calliper on one of our C5s last weekend for this very reason. To be on the safe side and to avoid running the discs and pads through heat id suggest getting a replacement calliper. :|
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Jeff
My Cars:

Post by Jeff »

Thanks Citreonmad, good advice & from experience. Its a shame there's no way round this.

It would be nice to know the fault thats rectified when they recondition the caliper? Is it just muck and grime or worn seals or something else? Does anyone know or can find out from mates in the trade?
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

No problem :)

There might well be someone on here who has had better lcuk with bringing the sticking caliper back into service, though ive had a few like this and failed to get it reliable. It got them so free that they would release without the need of the external spring (must be a spring in the mech too) but it wouldn't remain free for too long.

I have noticed a very clight slight nick in the rubber seal which should protect the mechanism from grime getting in, so I suspect this is the cause of them sticking. I suspect lubricating them on services will prolong their lifespan.

I guess they can be taken apart and cleaned up, with the seals replaced and so on. Though for me it was easier to bolt on a new calliper. Not the cheapest of things mind, think the one I got was £130 but there was a surcharge back upon recieveing the old calliper.
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Jeff
My Cars:

Post by Jeff »

Must be someone who's fixed the h/b return mechanism without renewing the caliper?
Is it just dust that needs flushing out or has permanent damage been done to a seal?
Jeff
My Cars:

Post by Jeff »

I've squirted some plusgas down into mechanism and lever is returning now. Fingers crossed.....
Jeff
My Cars:

Post by Jeff »

Has anyone tried fitting an additional external spring to the caliper to pull (or push) the lever back?

I think a strong spring attached to the lever and an added bracket (attached by the bottom bolt holding the caliper on)
would pull the lever back?

Any idea's?
Citroenmad
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10

Post by Citroenmad »

Perhaps, however there seems to be a spring inside the calliper and also there is an esternal one. If they aren't doing the trick the caliper is pretty seized :lol:
Chris
93 Ford Mondeo 2.0i GLX
19 Hyundai i10
Jeff
My Cars:

Post by Jeff »

Thanks Citreonmad.

I think you are right on the spring issue. I am hoping a larger spring than currently on the caliper would help, in addition to cleaning out the mechanism and repacking with grease, oil etc.

My car seems to have a dodgy caliper every 18months......must be poor design or the reconditioned calipers are inferior!

Please keep the ideas coming.