Citroen C5 - N/S FRONT BRAKE CALIPER PROBLEM

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Jeff
My Cars:

Re: Citroën C5 - N/S FRONT BRAKE CALIPER PROBLEM

Post by Jeff »

Just an update on previous brake problems.

Having had problem with sticky caliper levers I took off the lower bolt that holds the caliper to the brake carriage and inserted a thin plate underneath and retightened bolt. Between this plate and the lever on the side of the caliper (that the handbrake cable attachs to) I have put a strong'ish spring (slightly longer but thinner gauge wire than a deck chair spring) that would assist in pulling the lever back down and therefore release the pads from being pressed up against the discs.

I thought this could work as the "existing spring set up" are not even under tension when the lever is returned so when the lever starts binding it gets progressivley worse...while with the springs I have attached the lever is constantly exercised back down to its "fully off" position.

This was early in the year and since then all is well with no noticeable binding since. Thought I would post this as it may save someone from buying new calipers....

I am hoping this will work the same through the winter, I may have to lubricate levers a bit but otherwise I dont see why not. Fingers crossed no more new calipers...
Currently driving Citroen c5 2.0 HDI 51 Plate
Jeff
My Cars:

Post by Jeff »

Maybe no ones having this problem with the warm dry weather?
Currently driving Citroen c5 2.0 HDI 51 Plate
Xantianut
My Cars: 2002 C5 2.0 HDi 110 SX

RIP:
1993 Xantia 1.8i LX
1989 BX16TRS
1986 BX14E x 2

Post by Xantianut »

Ay up!

Funny thing this.

I have exactly the same problem on both sides of my C5. One of the things I spotted on the tyre kicking session before buying it was that the calipers had been replaced fairly recently as they were still silvery so I thought they'd be good for a while yet. Now 8 months on the right hand one is seized and the left hand one is going that way but there is still a silvery sheen on them. Could the reconditioners be failing to lubricate properly? I dunno, but it is a pain ion the butt, especially when it comes to bleeding the bleeding things.

I shall be dismantling my old ones and re-jigging them myself. That way, I know it's done right. I shall report back.....
C5 HDi 110 SX (Fifi 7 or Otterchops)

RIP
Citroen Xantia 1.8i LX (Fifi 6)
BX16TRS (x2) (Fifi 4 and 5)
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
BX14E (x2) (Fifi 1 and 3)
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I've mentioned here before my theory that it's the internal mechanism that rusts and causes the problem, as a result of not changing the brake fluid at recommended intervals. I've seen similar, non-Citroen, mechanisms affected in this way.
Xantianut

RIP:
1993 Xantia 1.8i LX
1989 BX16TRS
1986 BX14E x 2

Post by Xantianut »

Been thinking my thinks here.

We took the old bus out to Ellesmere near the Welsh Border to give her a bit of a motorway thrash before the MOT. During this trip, the handbrake stopped working completely on both sides. Thing is, the hydraulics work perfectly and continue to do so. There is no pull to one side, no grabbing, nothing like that. And the ABS got a workout when some cretin decided to make his own gap in traffic. There's always one.

So, the result of these ruminations is that it's unlikely to be a fault on the hydraulic side caused by soggy brake fluid. It seems more likely that the refurbishers clean all the old gunk off the calipers by solvents then do not re-grease the handbrake mechanism, accelelerating it's seizure. They lubricate the piston, otherwise the seals would tear when the piston is reinserted hence the lack of problems with the footbrake.

It is very vexing.......

RIP
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Xantianut wrote:Been thinking my thinks here.

We took the old bus out to Ellesmere near the Welsh Border to give her a bit of a motorway thrash before the MOT. During this trip, the handbrake stopped working completely on both sides. Thing is, the hydraulics work perfectly and continue to do so. There is no pull to one side, no grabbing, nothing like that. And the ABS got a workout when some cretin decided to make his own gap in traffic. There's always one.

So, the result of these ruminations is that it's unlikely to be a fault on the hydraulic side caused by soggy brake fluid. It seems more likely that the refurbishers clean all the old gunk off the calipers by solvents then do not re-grease the handbrake mechanism, accelelerating it's seizure. They lubricate the piston, otherwise the seals would tear when the piston is reinserted hence the lack of problems with the footbrake.

It is very vexing.......
Oi! Don't call Otterchops an old bus, you might hurt her feelings (and you know how Citroens react when they get upset!).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

I don't think I explained clearly - my idea is that water in the brake fluid causes rusting of the internal handbrake cam mechanism, which is immersed in fluid. Unless you drive like a maniac and start boiling off the dissolved water, the fluid would remain OK for practical purposes otherwise.
I' ve noticed that thorough and careful lubrication of the hadbrake arm pivot makes little or no difference - it can sometimes appear to do so, but that's due to the excercise the mech gets when you lube it. Try it - you can achieve the same temporary improvement simply by waggling the lever for a while without adding any lubricant.
Xantianut

RIP:
1993 Xantia 1.8i LX
1989 BX16TRS
1986 BX14E x 2

Post by Xantianut »

Been there. Done it. Made a difference for oh, 2 days. Then back to normal.

And as for the old bus? She knows it's a term of endearment.

RIP
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
ozzdownunder
My Cars: Current =C5 X7 Limited Edition 2014 HDI, Turbo 2.2L LT Sedan built 2014. Triumph, Holden Commodore, Range Rovers, Rovers.

Re: Citroen C5 - N/S FRONT BRAKE CALIPER PROBLEM

Post by ozzdownunder »

Any ideas where one can locate new front hand brake return springs for this model Citroen C5- 2003 HDI. Any diagrams for the removal and dismantle procedure. tx
Last edited by ozzdownunder on 04 Nov 2018, 08:09, edited 1 time in total.
ozzdownunder
My Cars: Current =C5 X7 Limited Edition 2014 HDI, Turbo 2.2L LT Sedan built 2014. Triumph, Holden Commodore, Range Rovers, Rovers.

Post by ozzdownunder »

I did resolve my problem by removing the caliper and had it overhauled. New piston and new seals solved the sticky hand brake problem. Easy job, working great.
Xantianut

RIP:
1993 Xantia 1.8i LX
1989 BX16TRS
1986 BX14E x 2

Post by Xantianut »

Ay up!

I upgraded to 2,2HDi calipers. Boy, does she stop now!!!!

RIP
BX19DTR (Fifi 2)
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

I did not know that a C5 could do a front wheelie!
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
urzica
My Cars: Citroen C5 2HDI 2007

Post by urzica »

I think reconditioned caliper means only replacement of the rubber seals and pistons but not replacing the internal hand brake mechanism. So if you have bad luck to buy a reconditioned one with inside defective mechanism, caliper wont work properly.
urzica
My Cars: Citroen C5 2HDI 2007

Post by urzica »

New Picture.jpg
This is a picture of inside piston mechanism. There is a breather orifice in the piston wich need to be cleaned in order the piston to retract away from the brake pads

You can see the wire thru that breather hole
18-07-16_1218.jpg
18-07-16_1219.jpg
18-07-16_1220.jpg
18-07-16_1221.jpg