citroen c5 2.0 hdi power steering fault

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

andddy123

citroen c5 2.0 hdi power steering fault

Post by andddy123 »

hi ive got c5 hdi and the power steering as gone quite heavy i dont think it has stopped working all together as its not impossible to turn the wheel when stationary.possible leak?? i was wondering if anyone has encountered this problem before and if so what the outcome was,or if anyone has any suggestions on where to start looking for the fault,i would be very grateful,thanks,andy
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Check your LDS level, if that is as it should be then I would suspect the power steering pump.

With the engine running turn the steering lock-to-lock a few times, if there is air present on the PAS system this should clear it, but check the LDS level first, if it is low you will just suck more air in.
andddy123

Post by andddy123 »

myglaren wrote:Check your LDS level, if that is as it should be then I would suspect the power steering pump.

With the engine running turn the steering lock-to-lock a few times, if there is air present on the PAS system this should clear it, but check the LDS level first, if it is low you will just suck more air in.
i have checked the power steering level and its full,i assume thats what u meant by lds.also i just googled it and is the lds oil different to normal power steering fluid? thanks for a quick reply
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Has your battery been allowed to run flat. A few weeks ago I left a 12volt coolbox running in my C5 and when I tried to start the next morning, the engine wouldn't turn over. I jump started the car which was fine - but found I had no power steering. I left the engine ticking over for a while then switched off and went through the battery disconnecting drill. Eventually when I re-started, power steering was back to normal.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

andddy123 wrote:
myglaren wrote:Check your LDS level, if that is as it should be then I would suspect the power steering pump.

i have checked the power steering level and its full,i assume thats what u meant by lds.also i just googled it and is the lds oil different to normal power steering fluid? thanks for a quick reply
It is slightly and only Total LDS is recommended, the power steering reservoir is shared with the suspension system although the pumps are different, the suspension pump being electric and below the reservoir, the power steering pump driven by the serpentine belt.
andddy123

Post by andddy123 »

JohnD wrote:Has your battery been allowed to run flat. A few weeks ago I left a 12volt coolbox running in my C5 and when I tried to start the next morning, the engine wouldn't turn over. I jump started the car which was fine - but found I had no power steering. I left the engine ticking over for a while then switched off and went through the battery disconnecting drill. Eventually when I re-started, power steering was back to normal.
hi no im afraid not i recently changed the alternator and battery but the problem started a long time before that.that seems very strange!,thanks for your input its appreciated
andddy123

Post by andddy123 »

myglaren wrote:
andddy123 wrote:

It is slightly and only Total LDS is recommended, the power steering reservoir is shared with the suspension system although the pumps are different, the suspension pump being electric and below the reservoir, the power steering pump driven by the serpentine belt.
o right would you say the slight difference of the two is enough to cause my heavy steering? thanks for your help by the way
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

I wouldn't think so. Standard ATF/Power Steering Fluid would be unlikely IMO to cause the problems that you are experiencing but Citroen have specified a particular formulation - LDS - and they presumably have good reason for doing so.

I would be more inclined to think that non-spec fluid would damage seals and possibly hoses, maybe the pumps eventually.

Has someone put ATF in do you think? There are some posts here dealing with LHM being used instead of LDS with fairly alarming results in one case.

Certainly don't be tempted to save a few quid by dumping ATF in the reservoir, the side effects could be ruinously expensive.

My suspicions still lie with the power steering pump or possibly the rack. Can you hear the power steering?
andddy123

Post by andddy123 »

myglaren wrote:I wouldn't think so. Standard ATF/Power Steering Fluid would be unlikely IMO to cause the problems that you are experiencing but Citroen have specified a particular formulation - LDS - and they presumably have good reason for doing so.

I would be more inclined to think that non-spec fluid would damage seals and possibly hoses, maybe the pumps eventually.

Has someone put ATF in do you think? There are some posts here dealing with LHM being used instead of LDS with fairly alarming results in one case.

Certainly don't be tempted to save a few quid by dumping ATF in the reservoir, the side effects could be ruinously expensive.

My suspicions still lie with the power steering pump or possibly the rack. Can you hear the power steering?
hi, i put some in when i 1st got the car but the steering wasnt working properly then so never made any difference,the only time i hear the steering is when is when its on full lock its makes a strange hummin sound,iv managed 2 get a pump from my local scrappy however ive searched the forum and its not as easy as i thought it was going to be with the bleeding being a nightmare but its failed the mot on the steering which it hasnt the last 2 years and the steerings always been the same so if i have 2 book it in ata garage so be it, thanks for your help myglaren its really appreciated
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
Ooops.
Previously:
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

If you could remove the pump without losing any significant amount of LDS - have an assistant to cap the hoses for you and keep the reservoir filled - then you could get away with it as it is a separate circuit from the suspension and the power steering is self bleeding. Turning the wheel four or five times lock-to-lock is generally all it takes.

Whereabouts are you? - perhaps someone here has knowledge of a good, reliable independent Citroen workshop near to you.
Charliedog7
My Cars: Citroen C5 2.0 Hdi VTR 2005

Peugeot 406Hdi 2003 rapier

Re: citroen c5 2.0 hdi power steering fault

Post by Charliedog7 »

I have the same symptoms. I bought this car recently C5 2005 VTR Hdi and noticed the steering was really hard to turn. Before I bought it, the steering was ok. It had been left a while standing without being started. The fault appears on the Display "Steering gear fault" and the STOP also comes up. On checking the LDS fluid level it was very low. No signs of any sort underneath of fluid leaks. I topped it up to the recommended level and turned the steering from side to side about 6 times, very hard to turn. Was also told to turn ignition on and off about 10 times. Still no improvement. I am not well versed with these cars so not sure if it has a electric or belt driven pump. Read in the Brains manual that it could be either (not really helpful) Can anyone help please. The car has just recently passed its MOT.

Bob
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

You need to bleed the system with the suspension on the lowest setting.
  • First, raise the car to the highest suspension setting.
  • Then release the LDS cap and set the suspension to the lowest setting
  • Now check the LDS level is between the 'A' & 'B' marks
    LDS X7 Levels.png
  • Then with the engine running, SLOWLY turn the wheel lock to lock 10 times.
  • Stop and allow any 'fizz' or air bubbles to dissipate for 5 minutes o so.
  • Check LDS level is between the marks and top up if necessary.
  • If necessary repeat with another 5 locks and check level
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Charliedog7

Post by Charliedog7 »

John D,

Forgive my ignorance John, but what do you mean "The Battery Disconnecting Drill"

Charliedog
Charliedog7

Post by Charliedog7 »

Marc,
Thank you for your advice to date.

I have checked and topped up the LDS fluid to the correct level and carried out the bleed procedure. The steering is really hard to turn. My next step is to try and find a member in the Portsmouth area who has a Lexia and is willing to help. Any other ideas on what the fault may be of course would be appreciated. Thank You. Bob
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Charliedog7 wrote: 30 Aug 2018, 08:45
Forgive my ignorance John, but what do you mean "The Battery Disconnecting Drill"

Sorry I missed your question. It happened because notifications were going to spam folders. To answer your question about battery procedure I'll quote Marc's method. He wrote:

Follow this guide to the letter - and don't open any doors, or press any switches during the process or it will 'wake up' the car's systems.

Put the driver's window down, lift the bonnet and ensure all equipment is switched off.
Ensure all doors are closed and remove key from the ignition.
Wait for 3-4 minutes (you can sometimes here a whirr or a click after a few minutes), and again, don't open and doors - disconnect the vehicle battery negative terminal and wait at least 3-4 minutes and don't let it reconnect to the terminal. Again, don’t open any of the doors or tailgate during this time, or the BSI will ‘wake up’ again.
Reconnect the negative battery terminal (try to make a clean contact by not attaching and removing the negative terminal whilst re-connecting), wait a further 3 minutes (do not open doors or tailgate).
Switch on the side lights through the driver's window you left open.
Switch on the ignition (but don't start car) and check dash display lights are ok.
With key still in ignition, hold the lock button on key down for about 10 seconds to reinitialise the key fob.
Remove the key then operate the central locking with the fob - open & close the doors several times.
Now start the engine and check everything is ok.
2010 C5 X7 VTR+Nav 160
1998 1.5 Saxo
1998 Pug 306 1.9D
2018 C4 B7 VTR+
2011 Citroen C1