Brake judder

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Chris Peddie

Brake judder

Post by Chris Peddie »

Hi all,
Have recently changed all disks and pads ('96 Xantia 1.9TD) and have been getting judder from the front ever since. It only starts once the new stuff is bedded in and is the front - as pulling on the handbrake while driving also produces the judder.
It's ok when braking (really) hard, but is most noticable braking normally for corners (40/50mph) or at very slow city speeds (feels almost on/off/on/off at about 5mph). Have put three sets of discs (halfords, unfortunately) on there but with the same pads (ferodo).
Everything rotates properly etc when fitted, calipers aren't binding, hubs are clean and not warped etc. Current set must have been on for about 1000 miles now but the steering (power) doesn't vibrate much (odd?). I'm concerned the judder will eventually wear something else out.
Has anyone got any ideas as I've run out, short of replacing everything again, but with bendix kit.
Also, I have an electrical fault in the common power supply to blower motor and HRW that no-one seems to be able to find, consequently, neither of them works and I can't use the air con. The HRW appears to work before starting the engine (in pre-heating position) but not once the engine is running.
According to circuit diagrams, these have a common power supply to the fuse box and pass through a different part of the anti-theft/ignition switch to everything else. No other circuits are affected and no other circuits pass through the same connections/wires up to the fuse box as far as I can make out. I hope the anti-theft/ignition switch isn't faulty as I guess that costs a fortune to replace.
Well, that turned out to be a bit of an epic, if I haven't sent you to sleep all suggestions gratefully recieved!
Cheers, Chris
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hi Chris
Your brake judder sounds like disc run out to me, you should measure disc run out with a dial test indicator, the maximum run out as specified in the Haines manual is 0.05mm that's about 2 thou, however if you have checked this on the outer face and it was ok, go and check the inner face, there could be a differing thicknes on the friction surface of the disc, especialy on cheap disc's, I use Brembo disc's, a bit expensive but bang on true, and EBC kevlar pad's, they are a softish compound and don't chew your disc's up.
Always fit new pads with new disc's.
As far as your electrical problem's go I can't offer any advice, all I can say is welcome to the club, Xantia's are rife with electrical problem's and I have my share of them :o)
Hope this help's
Dave
andy hannett
My Cars:

Post by andy hannett »

had similar brake judder problem on my old 405 after i had fitted halfords disks. turns out the new disks were warped in the box. my advice is buy goos quality disks and pads from a reputable place. that way at least you wont suffer the YTS talking down to you in the halfords service centre!
good luck
Andy
Chris Peddie

Post by Chris Peddie »

Hi all,
Now having had a little bit of free time, I have put the old discs and pads back on the car, and ... surprise surprise ... the judder has gone and the brakes are now much more effective, more like they used to be! Highlights how rubbish halfords kit is if three sets of discs can all be crap, needless to say I won't get anything else from them in the future (but they did give me my money back).
Where do you get those discs and pads from Dave, and how expensive is a bit expensive!?! (I still need to replace the discs, but don't want any more rubbish!!)
Have also had the electrical problem fixed - the switching section of the ignition switch for the HRW and blower was busted so neither had any power. Is now temporarily connected to another switching section until the ignition lock is replaced. Unfortunately though, now it works, this highlights the air con needing recharged!! Aaarrgghh, more expense :o(
Thanks for the feedback,
Cheers, Chris
philbar
My Cars:

Post by philbar »

Interesting stuff, I had the same problem with my XMV6, I wonder if Halfords have had a dodgy supplier?- What I also noticed with mine the front pads were left in a dry garage, and after two days they were rusty- the actual pad material!!- poor quality?- has anyone seen this before?
The replacement discs and pads came from Andyspares, and you can tell that the system is now as it should be!!- and as a p.s. the Andyspares parts were actually cheaper than the Halfords bits.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Hi Chris
The Brembo discs were about £70 a pair from PCS Clay Cross, Derby's, alot of money for something that's just going to get rubbed away, but this is as good as it gets.
The EBC pad's from Romac in Heanor, Derby's
Don't think they do mail order but there are some that do like http://www.brakepartsuk.com you will more than likely be able to find an outlet nearby.
For some reason Citroen decided to fit estate front brakes to my 19TD Xantia LX saloon, that caused me a few trip's two and fro untill I finaly got the right sized disc.
Steer clear of original Citroen and Ferodo pad's, much to hard and score your disc's to buggery, I once put genuine Citroen pad's on the back, ended up with a couple of shiny track's about 10mm wide round the disc, rest of it just went rusty, I don't bother with them thing's any more.
If you don't go with the disc's at that price you should try the pad's, the price is about the same as most.
Regards Dave