Loosing time!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Loosing time!

Post by user_3150 »

Last weekend whilst working on the car I changed the clock as it kept going back to default time & date. Anyway all was well for 3 days then the new one does the same. I have since found out and linked it to the CD player. Now when I don't use the CD player all is well so why would using the CD player stop the clock working any ideas? Oh it's a sony headunit with adapter so the steering wheel controls work.
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

how is the CD player wired? If it's taking its operational current from the 'permanent' supply, it may be loading down that supply too much and dropping the voltage. It should only have the permanent supply to the memory backup terminal, and take its operationg supply from the proper accessory circuit.
If the wiring's OK, check for high resistance connections at the fuse etc. for the permanent supply.
As a first step, monitor the voltage on the permanent line with the CD player both on and off, first at the closk, then at the fuse (each end). That should give you a good idea where the problem is.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

...Or it could possibly be that they share a common earth connection which has high resistance. Connect a meter across the CD player or clock, which ever is easier, and check the voltage with the player off and then on, it shouldn't vary by more than about half a volt. If it does, take another check between the live + lead and earth, if 12v or so but lower across the CD, you have a bad earth, if voltage still low, same as CD, high resistance in supply lead.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Sorry dnsey - didn't read your mail properly!.
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

Some good thoughts there that I will definitely try next time I get a spare moment. The CD player is connected to the original loom using the original adapters (no cutting or bodging) which works as it should i.e no memory loss and it turns on and off with the ignition so that would seem O.K. When I get a chance to check it out I will post the results. Thanks guys for the ideas.