Help! I think it's curtains for the fuel pump!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Help! I think it's curtains for the fuel pump!!!

Post by user_3150 »

Looks like I may need to change the low pressure fuel pump this weekend. It has just started to groan deeply when the ignition is switched on. Instead of a nice high pitch buzz. Is there anything to look out for other than having the replacement O ring. I am getting the pump from GSF today or tomorrow hopefully. Any advice really appreciated. Sorry for the short notice but It's sprung up suddenly and I've got a 600 mile round trip to do next week.

One more thing could it just be the cold weather having an effect on the pump. Hope this all makes sense just quickly posting before I shoot off to work.
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I dont run an HDi but I know someone who does, his experience plus what I have read on here seems to indicate that they can have a relativly short life. There is also some problem with them shedding metal filings into the fuel system when failing, so if I were you I would change it post haste!
mezuk04
My Cars:

Post by mezuk04 »

Agreed Peter...starting to hear more and more people saying that the pump is on the way out after a short period of time...maybe the HDI isnt as good as it was first thought...

Obviously before the whole company car process...i was considering getting a HDI after the XUD TD but on hearing about the constant reliability problems with the pump if i were to ever get back to Citroens I would stick with XUD's
Volkswagen Golf 59' 1.6TD S :(
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

Cheers guys I thought about it today and came to the same conclusion. Looks like another few hours of my w/end fixing the car. To be honest I would sell her but then it's difficult after all I've spent I think I should keep her. ARGHH!!
pikecrazy
My Cars:

Re: Help! I think it's curtains for the fuel pump!!!

Post by pikecrazy »

Alec wrote:Looks like I may need to change the low pressure fuel pump this weekend. It has just started to groan deeply when the ignition is switched on. Instead of a nice high pitch buzz.
Mine did this before i changed my fuel filter :oops:
2013 Berlingo Multispace 1.6 XTR 115bhp
2003 2:0 HDI Dispatch Van 186000 miles......gone
2000 Xantia Hdi 90bhp Forte Estate 97000 miles gone..........to heaven
New High pressure Fuel Pump and Patched ECU , Blower Module fixed by CitroJim :-)
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

Theres a thought !
user_3150
New User

Re: Help! I think it's curtains for the fuel pump!!!

Post by user_3150 »

I had the fuel filter changed about 15,000 miles ago. How often should it be changed?
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

Also looking at some other post's it looks like it could be the filter housing as well as I also get the hammer/vibrations from the fuel pump. Anyway I think I will leave the pump for now and change the filter and possibly the housing. As they are cheaper.

And to think I bought a diesel for cheaper motoring. Filter £10+vat Housing £35+vat and pump (if required) £135+vat. hmmm. Not to add all the other stuff thats gone and going wrong. Anyway sorry about the moan but I'm doing loads of extra work to save up for my new born this year and the bl**dy car is eating it all up.
BonceChops
My Cars:

Post by BonceChops »

Just think what it would be costing you in you were paying someone to do the work for you. Loads of invoices came with my car. One is about 3 years old for changing 1 front sphere and the accumulator, total cost was over £180 :shock:
Neil
Now Citrtoenless
pikecrazy
My Cars:

Post by pikecrazy »

Alec wrote:Also looking at some other post's it looks like it could be the filter housing as well as I also get the hammer/vibrations from the fuel pump. Anyway I think I will leave the pump for now and change the filter and possibly the housing. As they are cheaper.

And to think I bought a diesel for cheaper motoring. Filter £10+vat Housing £35+vat and pump (if required) £135+vat. hmmm. Not to add all the other stuff thats gone and going wrong. Anyway sorry about the moan but I'm doing loads of extra work to save up for my new born this year and the bl**dy car is eating it all up.
Exactly the same as mine .........try the fuel filter and Hey Presto :D
2013 Berlingo Multispace 1.6 XTR 115bhp
2003 2:0 HDI Dispatch Van 186000 miles......gone
2000 Xantia Hdi 90bhp Forte Estate 97000 miles gone..........to heaven
New High pressure Fuel Pump and Patched ECU , Blower Module fixed by CitroJim :-)
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

I did try the fuel filter first on reading your previous post "pikecrazy" but it was still noisy afterwards so I thought bugger it and changed the pump. Now all is well so far, but i'm off to nottingham tommorrow (210 miles) so we'll find out then.