SP Tuning Remap.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

c.morewood
Donor 2023
My Cars: '00 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 65K "W"
'99 Xantia 110 bhp Hdi SX Estate 310K SORN "V"
'98 Xantia 1.9TD SX Estate 150K Sold "T"

Post by c.morewood »

Anybody want a VA box? for any Hdi engine http://www.vanaaken.com/europe/index.asp
Gives 10 - 15 more bhp but no more fuel economy which is why I bought it.
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

You wanna wack it on ebay mate and put a reserve on, if it doesnt sell you wont have lost much.
Car is in having cambelt done so I havent tried the box yet. Bummer is apparently theres a leak on water pump, so its new water pump time. I had noticed it had been loosing coolant but had been unable to source the leak- thought maybe a pipe somewhere. I had not noticed any water or anything on the floor- I suppose thats the bad thing about having one of those engine undertrays- any leaks just drip into that so you dont seem them under the car.. Hope it hasnt done any damage [xx(] - I didnt let it get that low though.
c.morewood
Donor 2023

Post by c.morewood »

Rossd any news on the MPG?
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Nope, as my clutch has decided to slip and so have been using the car less over the last couple of weeks; I'm still on the same tank of fuel as I was when I had the remap!
I'm doing the clutch on weds and so will probably fill up then too.
c.morewood
Donor 2023

Post by c.morewood »

Well with almost 1100 hits on this thred ... there are a lot of people out there waiting with bated breath!!!!
user_3150
New User
My Cars: This is a dummy account added to fix some orphan posts.

Post by user_3150 »

I have just refuelled and I have worked out that I am getting between 50 - 100 miles more from a full tank. Not bad especially with the added power. Also I e-mailed The Derv Doc he want's £800 to fit an intercooler on my 90bhp Xantia. A bit expensive I think. When I get the time I will look at a 110 and see how easy / difficult it is to fit one.
c.morewood
Donor 2023

Post by c.morewood »

So what does that work out mpg-wise Alec? What did you get before.. and now?
Thanks,
Chris
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

With the Psi powerbox that I got mpg doesnt seem to have changed, but I havent done a proper test yet. I would say I get the same performance using half throttle now as I did before with my foot full down! The engine sounds 'meatier' now too when you give it more throttle than it did before. £90 well spent I reckon, makes the car much more enjoyable to drive and the extra torque on the motorway is much appreciated.
Alec, check this out, intercooler fitted to a 90hdi 307... http://www.hi-speed.dk/Intercooler_307/ ... r_307.html
Cheers
Paul
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

Hi Chris, I will do some more miles and tank's of fuel before I give a answer to my mpg as I have only used one tank of fuel since the tuning was done. All I can say is that I was getting 38 - 40 mpg before but that has improved. Paul it doesn't look like a difficult job does it. Maybe Ander's can give us a brief translation!!
c.morewood
Donor 2023

Post by c.morewood »

Hi Alec,
I was just wondering about your mpg there.. Do you do a lot of town driving? I've never had less than 45mpg out of my Xantia...and that was 6 up on a trip down from Aberdeen with a load of un-aerodynamic stuff on the roof rack driving at about 80ish. My average over the past 5 years is about 52mpg. Admittedly this does decline when I'm driving around town.. but never lower than 47/48ish. Best was 60mpg when we followed our friends to Scotland with their caravan.. boy did I need a cruise control!!
I've just had the spheres done and notice a fuel improvement already,
I'm seriously thinking about getting the remap this summer.. just waiting on a few more figures. I'd be interested to hear what your results are.
Cheers
Chris
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Just to mention that the clutch slip seemed to disappear and was fine even with the cold mornings over the past couple of weeks [:D]
Theres a PSI box on ebay at the moment if anyone is after one think it was on £50 the other day, dunno now....
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

I think I'm correct. Basically I put in about £50 at 89p per litre to fill the tank then I run the car until the reserve light stays on all the time this is about 600 - 650 miles. Maybe I am wrong on my sums. Also you may have the 110bhp engine which is very economical compared to my 90 bhp engine. I still can't see why Citroen and Peugeot bothered with the 90 bhp especially in a large estate vehicle, although I don't think Peugeot used it in the 406 estate. If I had done some research before buying the car I wouldn't have got it I would have got a 110. But it's too late now so I have to wait for 4 year's until the loan is paid off. Saying that it is a lovely car and I will probably get another Citroen C5 or maybe a C6.
c.morewood
Donor 2023

Post by c.morewood »

I agree completely Alec..I aquired the car as a company car and ran it for 3 years then bought it, when I became inelligible for one, as I knew its history and it was a good price plus a good sized boot.. made a bench rear seat for the kids and their pals.. an 8 seater Xantia!!
But had I have been able to wait, I would have had the 110bhp or the C5.
Saying that, she's as reliable as I could wish for.. never let me down in 5 years and noi major problems either.
Going back to the fuel, I manage 450 miles to the half way then about 700-750 before the light...if you really empty the tank ...it'll take 72 litres..just wish it wasn't so expensive to fill up!!
By the way if you know anyone with a large family.. I'll shortly have the bench seat for sale...
Cheers,
Chris
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Right, I filled up today, I got 53 litres in it on 600 miles on the dot, which works out at 51 mpg. So in effect, as I have been keeping the car in lower gears due to the clutch slip, I can honestly say the remap hasnt affected fuel economy (negatively at least) at all. When I replace the clutch (tomorrow, I'll update the HDi 90 Clutch Slippage thread with pics!) I'll be able to keep the revs lower and hopefully see an improvement.
(Actually, saying that, 51mpg is the best I have had from the car yet.....)
user_3150
New User

Post by user_3150 »

Blimey Chris our last tank was about 300 miles at the half way mark. My wife goes to work on the M27 during rush hour which is start stop all the way so although it is motorway miles they are more like town / urban miles. We do also tend to change gear quite early as our petrol car's seemed more economical like this. Maybe we need to try diffrent driving styles. We have only had 650 miles to the reserve light. Maybe we could get 750 if we kept going. I will work out the MPG more accuratley after this next tank full. I will do the same as Ross and fill up at say 600 miles.