2003 C5 HPI wont start

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

punkieys17

2003 C5 HPI wont start

Post by punkieys17 »

Trying to get my 2003 C5 HPI (petrol) back on the road. It had a replacement battery and I folowed the initialisation procedure. Car switches on and all dashboad lights look right. I scenned the car and the only fault left is an out of range intake air temperature sensor. However when i try to start the car it kicks but refuses to start. If I floor the accelerator the engine doe start but its real lumpy and it shuts down in a few seconds - never having really gotten going and just performed like its running on 1 cyclinder or so. I replaced the coil pack but with no change to the symptoms. Any help gratefully received as what to look at next.
SwissSPEC
My Cars:

Re: 2003 C5 HPI wont start

Post by SwissSPEC »

I've heard these HPI engined cars can be notorious for issues, which is real shame as i quite like the concept of an economical petrol engine. Don't the ECU's tend to go doolally?
CX GTI 2 Turbo (LHD) - Sorn
Bx Gti 16v
BX TZD Turbo - Sorn
C5 Mk1 LX 2.0HDi Estate
Mini Cooper D Clubman
old-un77
My Cars: Renault 14...now skyward
Renault 19.. skyward also..
'03 Xsara 1.8 Picasso in silver met his maker
'06 Desire, again in silver also gonn to metal heaven

Post by old-un77 »

going for basics, you HAVE checked the plugs?
Bob
handyman
My Cars:

Post by handyman »

You need to get the car plugged into a Lexia as these C5s with the HPi engine are notorious for faults with the high pressure pump & the pressure sensor. A test session will tell you if these items are below spec & also if the cold start valve is playing up. Whats the mileage on the car? Service life on the pump is about 80K, sometimes a lot less. :shock:

Whereabouts are you as there might be a Lexia owner nearby that would do a test session cheaper than dealers?

If you need a pump or sensor, I have both available, new & I can get your old pump reconditioned.

Handyman
punkieys17

Post by punkieys17 »

I have the Lexia, wouldn't a sht down caused by the pump or pressure sensor be flagged in the fault log?