*Help* Citroen Acadiane (1982) problem with load capacity

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

acadianecoffeevan

*Help* Citroen Acadiane (1982) problem with load capacity

Post by acadianecoffeevan »

Hello there,

I'm new on here, I have signed up hoping someone can help me.

I have recently had a Citroen Acadiane (1982) converted into a coffee van, prior to the vehicle conversion nobody mentioned any concerns regarding weight limitations with the van. Now, I run a business alone, so I am required to drive myself, together with stock and equipment to events at weekends. Which is where I have an issue with the load capacity. Without all my equipment the van is underweight, 900kg, and (I think) a maximum 1.180 tons

But the coffee machine, together with most of the fittings is all at the back of the van and I am finding the wheel arch at the back is a little low, now first question, is this considered normal? Also is it normal to be able to bounce the vehicle up and down easily at the back?

MAIN QUESTION I need to carry equipment around in addition to this as part of this business, now question is, would there be a way to reinforce this particular vehicle to allow for more weight bearing. Is there something someone could recommend?

Or is it a lot easier to buy an aluminium trailer? Will this increase the load even more?

Thanks, would appreciate any advice/help

Naddine
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Re: *Help* Citroen Acadiane (1982) problem with load capacit

Post by Stickyfinger »

One word, Over(badly)loaded
Three results, Nicked/Fined/6 Points
Three reasons, Bad steering, bad braking, bad cornering

The cops will LOVE you, get a trailer your carrying to much for the van, take it
from a man who carts Cast Iron Radiators, bad loads are bad in many ways
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

acadianecoffeevan wrote:Hello there,

I'm new on here, I have signed up hoping someone can help me.

I have recently had a Citroen Acadiane (1982) converted into a coffee van, prior to the vehicle conversion nobody mentioned any concerns regarding weight limitations with the van. Now, I run a business alone, so I am required to drive myself, together with stock and equipment to events at weekends. Which is where I have an issue with the load capacity. Without all my equipment the van is underweight, 900kg, and (I think) a maximum 1.180 tons

But the coffee machine, together with most of the fittings is all at the back of the van and I am finding the wheel arch at the back is a little low, now first question, is this considered normal? Also is it normal to be able to bounce the vehicle up and down easily at the back?

MAIN QUESTION I need to carry equipment around in addition to this as part of this business, now question is, would there be a way to reinforce this particular vehicle to allow for more weight bearing. Is there something someone could recommend?

Or is it a lot easier to buy an aluminium trailer? Will this increase the load even more?

Thanks, would appreciate any advice/help

Naddine
For an Acadiane, this sounds perfectly normal. It's based on Dyane /2cv chassis so will be softly sprung and easy to bounce up and down, and they sink easily even when not overloaded.

You need to check the official weight limit for it but I expect you'll be within it.i believe the Acadiane was rated for a 500kg payload...
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Citroenet says:

The Acadiane had a payload of 480 kg and remained in production until 1987.Unlike the saloon which was equipped with sliding windows, the Acadiane was fitted with wind down windows and was only ever available with the 602 cm3 engine.
Richard W
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

hi and welcome

were are you located

not sure as i have never had the need to alter the weight capacity of an A series suspension,

first thoughts would be was the ride height set correctly before adding all the extra weight,

secondly
maybe she requires Ami supper spring cans, shockers and anti roll bars fitting,

i also think if she is overladen there would be no travel left in the suspension, so would not move at all with the bounce test,

the ride height can be adjusted, although adjusting this with it already near the end of the suspension travel might not be a good idea,
as you will only be closing the gaps between the spring coils, so you could end up with basically not suspension or very little,

does she feel dangerous to drive in handling the likes of cornering

might pay to ask Roy of

http://www.ecas2cvparts.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

as he has a wealth of knowledge, if he does not know he might be able to suggest someone who does,

otherwise ask Barry Anels of

http://www.bourne-citroen-centre.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Regards, malcolm.

current ride a BX 1.7 TZD estate
1986 MK1 BX 1.9na D Auto(in Mothman Andy's stable )
layed up roppy 1.9TD XANT estate, now gone to meet her maker
purple and lilac metalic 2CV(VIOLET)registered to her in doors
1972 DS special been layed up aprox 31 years
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

citronut wrote:h

does she feel dangerous to drive in handling the likes of cornering?
Yes, of course! It's an Acadiane! What a daft question.. :-D
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

RichardW wrote:Citroenet says:

The Acadiane had a payload of 480 kg and remained in production until 1987.Unlike the saloon which was equipped with sliding windows, the Acadiane was fitted with wind down windows and was only ever available with the 602 cm3 engine.
It was, it also had a modified chassis and springs to take the payload, so I would imagine, unless it's a beast of a coffee machine, it's just the OPs unfamiliarity with driving an Acadiane that's making them uneasy - my brother had a 2cv van on an Ami Super chassis with a 1220 motor in it, and they are a weird, weird thing to drive!
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

nout wrong with the handling of an A series as long as its set up correctly,

on the other hand if the suspension heights are wrongly adjusted they are very dangerous in handling/to drive
Regards, malcolm.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

citronut wrote:nout wrong with the handling of an A series as long as its set up correctly,
There is not, but if you're expecting to handle like a modern eurobox, you're still going to be in for a surprise..
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

northern_mike wrote:
citronut wrote:nout wrong with the handling of an A series as long as its set up correctly,
There is not, but if you're expecting to handle like a modern eurobox, you're still going to be in for a surprise..
yep i agree Mike

there's nout on the planet ( at least that i have driven ) that handles quite like an A series
Regards, malcolm.

Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

citronut wrote:
northern_mike wrote:
yep i agree Mike

there's nout on the planet ( at least that i have driven ) that handles quite like an A series
A Berlingo with a broken right front spring and bent strut has vague 2CV-alike qualities, especially when turning left..
old'uns
My Cars: '02 C5 - gone
'09 X7 - gone
CMax - X7 replacement - gone
Acadiane - lost to a V5c applicant
'06 C5 VTR auto est
'90 Honda Beat
'73 ST70 Dax
'75 ST Dax - 120 powered

Post by old'uns »

i'm still having nightmares just from fetching mine when i purchased it :shock: ......and that was 3 years ago!!
no power steering, no power! wooden brakes, leans like a B*****d when not in a straight line, can't see anything behind in useless mirrors, LHD as well... :-D

not plucked up the courage to get back in.. :lol:
currently '06 C5 2.0 HDi auto estate Tip run and France trekker - well should be!! occupied currently by '10 Superb DSG 170 elegance- whistles and bells that work
acadianecoffeevan

Post by acadianecoffeevan »

Hi, thanks for all the responses. Well as to whether it feels dangerous driving it, the handling generally has a bit of a wild side anyway, regardless of weight...it's a strange thing to drive, it's fun though when you get used to it. When I had it overloaded, it seemed to stabilise it a bit on windy days, as normally it will blow around in the wind (not a great feeling on the motorway...yes I take it on the M6!)

Basically I just needed a solution to allow me to hold extra weight, so I can carry my stocks and supplies without worrying that the van is overloaded and putting pressure on the components. A trailer may be the most viable solution, but having tried out a wooden 5"x3" trailer...I noticed quite a bit of drag and it struggled when driving up a tiny gradient. Which is annoying because I'm running the business in Lancashire/Cumbria...so it's quite hilly....that's why I was considering whether it would be possible/worth it to modify the van to hold more weight

Oh the coffee machine is quite a beast, but with the coffee machine and me in the van driving it still is around over 100kg under its maximum load capacity...but this, according to my mechanic is treading fine, due to the age. Do you think this is true?
citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

old'uns wrote:i'm still having nightmares just from fetching mine when i purchased it :shock: ......and that was 3 years ago!!
no power steering, no power! wooden brakes, leans like a B*****d when not in a straight line, can't see anything behind in useless mirrors, LHD as well... :-D

not plucked up the courage to get back in.. :lol:
they are mean to go round cornners with the door handles scrapping the ground and all 4 tyres still glued to the tar mac,

an acquired taste maybe,

old'un
just get back in it and go with the flow, if it really does feel that bad i would check the ride height,

just be careful reversing at speed then trying to steer at the same time, it will snatch the steering wheel out of your hands
Regards, malcolm.

citronut
My Cars:

Post by citronut »

you need to wind them up in each gear, which is quite an art, drive it hard they thrive on this
Regards, malcolm.