What to do with some very old diesel?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

What to do with some very old diesel?

Post by Richard_C »

Having a garage clear out and found a Jerry can (proper steel one) with 4 gallons of diesel in it. I recall when I had to travel a lot for work buying it during some kind of threatened strike or shortage. Must be well over 12 years ago.

I think I read somewhere that old diesel can do nasty things to modern engines, so reluctant to use it in the C5 III or even the C3 hdi. Maybe the synergie XUD but still don't want to risk filter blockages etc. I don't think its the same stuff as heating oil or I could add it to my domestic heating oil tank. Mix it with garden leaves, burn and create a privacy smoke screen around the house? Best not perhaps .... Take to local tip where they have a waste engine oil tank?

Any thoughts on what to do with it?
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

It'll go OK in an older tractor, just filter it on the way in. Or offer to the biodiesel crowd.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: What to do with some very old diesel?

Post by CitroJim »

Old diesel goes rancid.. Smell it. If it smells like diesel should I'd be happy to use it in a XUD well diluted with fresh diesel.

I'd be wary of using it in a very modern diesel though however good it smells or looks.

If it smells disagreeably like turpentine then it's gone off and I'd dump it.

Also look at a small sample in a glass jar. If it looks clear with a faint bluish or greenish tinge it's OK but if it's gone a bit brown then again it's off and best dumped in the tip's waste oil tank...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Thanks, I didn't realise it went off in that way. I will do a smell test and jar test but I will wait until I'm not wearing my best going to work clothes.

Historical note - I also came across a little metal can of Citroen "anti-figeant". In my early diesel days (one of the first BX diesels) the UK wasn't well set up for passenger car diesels - you often had to fill up on the truck part of the garage. I think diesel had fewer additives then and waxing was a problem in very cold weather hence a variety of diy cures. I used to throw some in the tank if I was off to Glencoe in January for primeval ski trips.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I've an old can of that stuff Richard, I keep it as a historical curio..

I picked it up at a rally a while back...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

Use the old diesel as penetrating oil - you have a lifetime's supply there!
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

in a TRACTOR !
or in your Rayburn so you can heat the West Wing of the mansion:)
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Lasse

Post by Lasse »

I would pour it into the heating oil tank. Kero has added colour to prevent tax evasion by people who use it in their Diesel cars. If you add to your 1000l+ oil tank it will be well diluted. Easier than to get properly rid of it at the recycling centre.
'73 DS 23 pallas, '87 CX25TRD2 long, '11 C5 HDi 165 Tourer exclusive
KP
My Cars:

Post by KP »

If you were near me or on my travels if happily take it off your hands as I have a few tubs of engine oil and diesel from doing services lately that I mix in a few litters per tank with the XM veg oil to no real I'll effects. There is more smoke when I go over about 6litres per tank but at most I only do 3litres which isn't great as the stock level is slowly building up again lol