C5 II front suspension travel range

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

tco_tm
My Cars:

C5 II front suspension travel range

Post by tco_tm »

Hi,

When I lift my C5, the front right wheel drops way more than left. It moves down to the extent where a return hose is stretched to the limit. Suspension tube extends so much, that its lower part totally moves out from a dust boot making chrome shaft visible. I think that changing tire with a default, small jack would be impossible 8-).

Does this column needs replacement? What caused this behavior? Is tube internal rebound stop damaged (if there is any)?

Regards,
Pawel
Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: C5 II front suspension travel range

Post by Mandrake »

If the front left and right struts are extending a different amount you must be parked on uneven ground... ;)

If the strut is anything like those in a Xantia, its impossible for the upper limit stop to be damaged as its literally a large metal shoulder on the shaft inside the strut (ram) unit. The lower limit stop is a rubber snubber.

If you can see the chrome shaft at maximum height the gater has become detached - they have a lot of stretch and should have no trouble reaching. You need to find out why its not attached and reattach it. (It might be damanaged)
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
tco_tm
My Cars:

Post by tco_tm »

I see that front right wheel drops more than a left when car is lifted on both sides (e.g. on two post lift from a flat surface). Movement for sure is too large as the return hose is stretched to the limit. I think that right wheel drops at least 5-10 centimeters more than left. It's clearly visible and car has to be lifted really high to remove wheel.

Does anybody have pictures of MkI/II strut internals?
tco_tm
My Cars:

Post by tco_tm »

Well, another mystery solved... Conclusion? Never ever underestimate symptoms of wheel/s dropping too low when lifting a car on a jack or other lift. It is almost sure, that it will end in the most unexpected moment like this:

And will lead to that:

...And at least 1500 EUR bill in parts (not including towing and labor). :/

How it may happen? I am not sure, as I did not opened front struts, but almost for sure its internal stop bump (marked on picture below) gets detached from its initial position:

It may happen when driving too fast over speed bumps (like I had a manner to do) or hitting too many potholes: When wheel rebounds, inner shaft stop bump may be striking an upper end of outer tube, what finally will break off its joint (or other attachment solution). At first only one side may be damaged and it may be not noticeable during normal ride, as the opposite strut will prevent it from excessive extrusion (as wheels are connected by an anti roll bar), but finally the same will happen to that other side. I have never seen it before, but my struts extends so much, that about 8 centimeters of chromed shaft is visible below its dust boot. Taking image placed above as a reference, it seems that the bump stop (marked with red circle) dropped exactly to the bottom of an inner shaft. What worse, such a extrusion is out of a height sensor readings. Rising body to the highest position and unloading a car (or slowly driving on uneven ground) will generate a signal corresponding to the body on the ground condition... Don't have to explain, that it will result in a control unit pumping more and more oil to front suspension and making car inoperable. The only way to lower such a "pumped" car, is to depressurize system with use of Lexia or by rotating backward the sensor bracket. But even after lowering, front suspension should be inspected as cv joint boots could be teared off - like mine did.
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

Quite shocking! :shock:

I've been on this forum since 2005 and I have never seen anyone report the internal limit stops failing on the struts on a Xantia or C5 before, so either you've been extremely unlucky or that car has been through hell... :lol:

I do notice the writing on the side "pace car", so perhaps it has been stressed well beyond normal road driving conditions...
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive