What is my C5 worth?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mandrake
My Cars:

Re: What is my C5 worth?

Post by Mandrake »

If you're driving slow (30mph) and it's not too hot that you can get away with driving with the windows half down it would be more economical to do that than run the air con. If you're on the motorway though the aerodynamic losses from open windows would almost certainly exceed the power used by the air con compressor! (Not to mention the noise and buffeting drives you crazy)

As someone who used to live in a hot country and owned many cars with no air con or non-working air con, I know all about windows open at high speeds and very much appreciate working air con now! (Thankfully the air con in my new Xantia is exceptional and easily dealt with this weeks 28 degree scorchers... :) )
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

cpikey316_ wrote:My colleague told me a few weeks ago that he doesnt use his as he was told it decreases fuel efficiency by 50%!
He is terribly misinformed. A properly charged and maintained AC system uses only slightly more than bugger-all power. You can watch the instantaneous fuel consumption as you turn it on or off, to compare.

The cabin fan consumes power, but that is regardless of the air temperature passing through the system.
cpikey316_
My Cars:

Re:

Post by cpikey316_ »

addo wrote:
cpikey316_ wrote:My colleague told me a few weeks ago that he doesnt use his as he was told it decreases fuel efficiency by 50%!
He is terribly misinformed. A properly charged and maintained AC system uses only slightly more than bugger-all power. You can watch the instantaneous fuel consumption as you turn it on or off, to compare.

The cabin fan consumes power, but that is regardless of the air temperature passing through the system.
I told him this, I dont know whether it will affect what he does. Most people in this country see AC as a pointless expensive novelty, hence the problem in finding a system in a budget car that works! :(
Light bluey 2002 C5 LX
addo
Sara Watson's Stalker
Location: NEW South Wales, Australia. I'll show you "Far, far away" ;-)
My Cars: Peugeot 605
Citroën Berlingo
Alfa 147

Post by addo »

Well, if he's not willing to observe the easily seen effect on consumption via the trip computer, your man's a capital-P Pillock.

Tightarses need to realise that life is overall lowest cost for them, if they drop dead right away. :twisted:
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

My aircon doesn't work and I haven't bothered about it because for me its rarely hot enough to need it, although it certainly speeds up window demisting. I think a large proportion of cheap cars have non working aircon so I don't think it will make much difference to the saleability.

Peter
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

Well of course it affects saleability.

It's called air CONDITIONING for a reason. It's not simply air-cooling is it?

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Post by qprdude »

Don't be fooled into thinking the Honda Accord is bulletproof. There's no such thing.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.
waynedance

Post by waynedance »

Air conditioning us so important to me that if it stopped working I would have it sorted the same day if possible. Come to think of it anything that stops working is fixed asap, hate thinks not working.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

cpikey316_ wrote:I am also of the 24/7 air con using variety! it annoys me that theyre usually broken due to negligence.

My colleague told me a few weeks ago that he doesnt use his as he was told it decreases fuel efficiency by 50%!
About 8% would be nearer the truth, same actually as driving with the windows down.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Northern_Mike

Post by Northern_Mike »

I don't notice any difference at all with the Berlingo. It does 46mpg day in day out, aircon off or on. It rises to 50mpg on a motorway cruise at 65mph.

Enviado desde mi GT-I9505 usando Tapatalk
Northern_Mike

Re: Re:

Post by Northern_Mike »

waynedance wrote:Air conditioning us so important to me that if it stopped working I would have it sorted the same day if possible. Come to think of it anything that stops working is fixed asap, hate thinks not working.
You must be always repairing a C5 then...
cpikey316_
My Cars:

Re:

Post by cpikey316_ »

waynedance wrote:Air conditioning us so important to me that if it stopped working I would have it sorted the same day if possible. Come to think of it anything that stops working is fixed asap, hate thinks not working.
Good thing with mine, apart from the air con, there are very few extras to break!

The car itself is fine, I just like air con!
Light bluey 2002 C5 LX
Northern_Mike

Re: Re: What is my C5 worth?

Post by Northern_Mike »

qprdude wrote:Don't be fooled into thinking the Honda Accord is bulletproof. There's no such thing.
There is not, however Hondas do aseem to be more reliable than most things. My dad's Jazz has had nothing other than normal servicing in 10 years out in Greece. Not even an AC regas and it all works perfectly.

Friend of mine has an 07 Passat TDI. It failed in a way that meant it couldn't be recovered. Electric handbrake on, no power, tiptronic auto. Anyway, out of annoyance he asked the AA man what he never gets called out to. Answer - Hondas. Claimed it had been more than a year since he'd been called out to one.
waynedance

Re: Re: Re:

Post by waynedance »

northern_mike wrote:
You must be always repairing a C5 then...
Yeah there has been a few things needed fixing.
Volvo S80 D5.........
C5 2.2HDi Exclusive 2003 manual (now gone).
2009 Renault Megane, the misses drive.
Had a 1988 BX 19TRS Auto many moons ago.
Forgive any spelling mistakes, it's the phone not me.
qprdude
My Cars: Renault 5 TS, Renault 14ts, Citroen C5 Mk1, Renault Clio sport, Renault Laguna Privilege. Citroen C5 X7 Exclusive. Citroen DS5 D/sport . And around 25+ other brands from Morris Oxford to S Type jag and most things between.

Re: Re: What is my C5 worth?

Post by qprdude »

northern_mike wrote:
qprdude wrote:Don't be fooled into thinking the Honda Accord is bulletproof. There's no such thing.
There is not, however Hondas do aseem to be more reliable than most things. My dad's Jazz has had nothing other than normal servicing in 10 years out in Greece. Not even an AC regas and it all works perfectly.

Friend of mine has an 07 Passat TDI. It failed in a way that meant it couldn't be recovered. Electric handbrake on, no power, tiptronic auto. Anyway, out of annoyance he asked the AA man what he never gets called out to. Answer - Hondas. Claimed it had been more than a year since he'd been called out to one.
Brother-in- Laws 2008 Accord led him a life of misery toward the end. Rear suspension bushes were changed three times, rear shockers twice, tracking set up twice, window motor burned out, tail gate lock broke meaning he couldn't lock it. He did several resets (battery off) which got it working for a couple of weeks first time, then a week, then a couple of days. Honda quoted over £800 for a new switch/lock. It seemed to guzzle headlamp bulbs at one ore two every couple of months. He got rid and bought a 2012 E class Merc.
Seems like every manufacturer has it's bad boys.
I've had an air-con re-gas, new tyre monitor sensors and just recently a front off-side strut, all under warranty but even though, not a massive problem in just over two years of ownership.
Rick.

2013 Citroen DS 5 D/Sport
2007 Renault Clio Campus sport. 1.2l

Sometimes the change doesn't work.