Citroen safety film, early seventies

Dedicated to owners of Citroen GS and GSA models.

Moderator: RichardW

Stonehopper
My Cars: 1975 GS Pallas
1967 2cv AZAM
Previously;
1982 Acadiane
1990 BX TZD turbo
1982 2cv Charleston
1971 AK 250
1978 AK 400
1982 Ami 8 break
1971 Ami 8 break
1979 CX Familiale
1960 2cv AZL (Belgian built)

Citroen safety film, early seventies

Post by Stonehopper »

A feast of 2cv; GS; DS; SM.
Lots of GS action:
Derek
macplaxton
My Cars: 1978 GS X2

Re: Citroen safety film, early seventies

Post by macplaxton »

Thanks for posting. I can't remember if I've seen it before or not. I certainly haven't seen it with an English soundtrack.
falling-out-with-my-car
My Cars: Citroen C5 Aircross 8 speed Automatic, Flair Model with far to many toys and nice comfy armchair like leather seats. ha ha Ive just had a conversation with the car. setting everything up verbally

Post by falling-out-with-my-car »

Derek,

Brilliant film I enjoyed that very much thank you.
Along Came the Computer and ruined everything.
cheers
Nigel.
Citroen Xantia S2 1.9 TD estate 189K soon to be broken for parts Jan 2017 headlamps & radiator fan assembly already spoken for & A 1987 Citroen 2CV6 special just for fun.
New addition Citroen C5 2.0 HDi Exclusive Hatch purchased 09/12/2016 with 83K on the clock.
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Pre ACTIVA stuff, not "Proper" Citroen's............ init
:lol:
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Stonehopper
1967 2cv AZAM
Previously;
1982 Acadiane
1990 BX TZD turbo
1982 2cv Charleston
1971 AK 250
1978 AK 400
1982 Ami 8 break
1971 Ami 8 break
1979 CX Familiale

Post by Stonehopper »

:rofl2:

The last proper Citroen:

:wink:
Derek
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

above, if it is Pre Activa = old Citroen of lesser capability

as shown by Citroen themselves

Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
Peter.N.
Moderating Team
My Cars: Currently:

C5 X7 VTR + Satnav Hdi estate Silver
C5 X7 VTR + Hdi Estate 2008 Red

In the past: 3, CX td Safaris and about 7, XM td estates. Lovely cars.

Post by Peter.N. »

I like that, thanks. The only car I have had that fulfilled all those criteria was the CX, I did many thousands of miles in them and have never driven anything as good since.

Peter
Stonehopper
1967 2cv AZAM
Previously;
1982 Acadiane
1990 BX TZD turbo
1982 2cv Charleston
1971 AK 250
1978 AK 400
1982 Ami 8 break
1971 Ami 8 break
1979 CX Familiale

Post by Stonehopper »

Stickyfinger wrote:above, if it is Pre Activa = old Citroen of lesser capability
Now we are getting into our expectations of capability. The Activa will capably control roll, but in turn tempts us to drive faster around bends and roundabouts to experience that capability. This in turn leads inevitably to driving faster and perhaps more aggressively, and in turn again leads to more development that sits a car squat on the road with less comfort in mind for the occupants and only in what the car is capable of in hard driving - response to throttle; cornering capability etc. The publicity films will always pander to the markets expectations and push the product as being further advanced than the competition. It's in the necessity for Citroen to be ahead, and keep ahead. But Joe public is likes things that he is familiar with even if they are stuffed with microprocessor engine management systems (until they fail), and so the softly sprung hydropneumatics have been swept away with Citroen's latest beasties.

We lean towards what we expect from our vehicles, and the 'simpler' and softer classics are my choice. They are capable of producing more smiles per mile.
Derek
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I depends what you want out of a car. I have never highly rated being able to corner at 60mph but the directional stability of the CX is something I have never since experienced, its the only car I have ever driven at speed with a flat front tyre and not immediately know I had one. The wheel centre steering knuckles ensured that no loading of one front wheel would deflect the steering, that combined with the diravi steering and excellent rearward vision on the Safari made parking the 16' + long car a dream, the space and comfort were a very useful bonus.

They took some getting used to, in fact there was a saying that if you drove one for less than half an hour you would never want to drive one again but if you drove it for more than half an hour you would never want to drive anything else. I fell into the latter category, my last CX a TZD Turbo Safari I owned for 7 years and covered over 160,000 miles in it, fantastic car.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

Stonehopper wrote:The Activa will capably control roll, but in turn tempts us to drive faster around bends and roundabouts to experience that capability. This in turn leads inevitably to driving faster and perhaps more aggressively. We lean towards what we expect from our vehicles, and the 'simpler' and softer classics are my choice. They are capable of producing more smiles per mile.
Not for me.. I like to drive an Activa on long trips because I love comfort but hate the roly-polyness that often goes with it in conventionally spring vehicles.. I abhor body roll and find it incredibly unpleasant...

The Activa simply delivers comfort without the usual downsides... It's comfy with very taut suspension..

And as a consequence it delivers lots of smiles per miles for me...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

CitroJim wrote:
Stonehopper wrote:The Activa will capably control roll, but in turn tempts us to drive faster around bends and roundabouts to experience that capability. This in turn leads inevitably to driving faster and perhaps more aggressively. We lean towards what we expect from our vehicles, and the 'simpler' and softer classics are my choice. They are capable of producing more smiles per mile.
Not for me.. I like to drive an Activa on long trips because I love comfort but hate the roly-polyness that often goes with it in conventionally spring vehicles.. I abhor body roll and find it incredibly unpleasant...

The Activa simply delivers comfort without the usual downsides... It's comfy with very taut suspension..

And as a consequence it delivers lots of smiles per miles for me...
Now what we have to do is to work out how to make fuel from smiles. The MPG would then be astronomical (possibly infinite, when you work out how much you DON'T then spend on the stuff!).
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

If only we could James... I'd be making a profit out of it...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Stonehopper
1967 2cv AZAM
Previously;
1982 Acadiane
1990 BX TZD turbo
1982 2cv Charleston
1971 AK 250
1978 AK 400
1982 Ami 8 break
1971 Ami 8 break
1979 CX Familiale

Post by Stonehopper »

Well, it would be pretty boring if we all liked the same cars. We had a CX familiale for a while, and I loved the comfort, steering and grace with which the car looked and performed. The zero point steering (for want of an accurate description) is also to be found on the GS/A and 'A' series. I had a blow out in the Ami at flat out speed in the third lane on the M6 many years ago, and all I knew was a roughness to the ride and lumps of rubber flying skywards from the front right wheel! Control was maintained and the verge safely made without any drama. But the CX drank fuel, the GS is better, but our little AZAM does 60+ mpg! :mrgreen:
Derek
Peter.N.
Moderating Team

Post by Peter.N. »

I think that was the last vestige of 'Citroenness' that they did away with. Everyone else uses McPherson struts so we must use them they apparently decided, obviously cheaper but they have mad the handling rubbish compared to what it was.

Surprisingly the best modern mainstream car for handling/ride/economy is the 406, I reckon that's the best car that Peugeot have made.

Peter
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Peter.N. wrote: Surprisingly the best modern mainstream car for handling/ride/economy is the 406, I reckon that's the best car that Peugeot have made.
Can't agree Peter... The 406s I have driven all handled like little boats in a choppy sea.. Comfy but very soggy and roly-poly. I hate that... See my earlier Post as to why I so love an Activa...

Apart from that the 406 is indeed a most excellent car...

The best cars Pug ever made were the 205 and 405...
Jim