GS/A Ami rally Tilford Rural Life Centre, Farnham 5-6 August 2017

A place to discuss any upcoming meets, club rallies and general get togethers.

Moderator: RichardW

red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

GS/A Ami rally Tilford Rural Life Centre, Farnham 5-6 August 2017

Post by red_dwarfers »

Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Re: GS/A Ami rally Tilford Rural Life Centre, Farnham 5-6 August 2017

Post by van ordinaire »

Another CCCK-up - or had everyone really left for the pub lunch when I arrived thinking about elevenses :?:

Good: venue was a known attraction & the address, including postcode even, was published. =D>

Not so good: having re-arranged weekend so I could attend, arrived this morning to find the only indication I was at the right place was a sign saying "Citroen Rally 6 August" :o #-o

Oh well, I've never been to the Torbay Steam Fair on the Sunday - si that'll be a novelty, I can probably get a refund for my pre-booked train ticket for Friday - & I'd never got round to getting to booking the ferry for the Luxembourg autojumble I was toying with attending (before I realised it was same w/e as the Steam Fair). Fortunately I'm off on Monday (arranged back in November when I assumed I'd be doing something completely different. If all these things clash again next year, it'll be an interesting logistical exercise - but I know which event I won't have to factor in! :lol:

All you folk who were only proposing to go tomorrow, have a great time & I'm sure I'll soon be reading about what a wonderful event I've missed. :wink:
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Stickyfinger
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: Xantia V6 ACTIVA 3ltr 24v Manual p1
Xm 2.1TD Ph2 Exclusive
AX, little Daffodil
SAXO White Mk1. Sally

Post by Stickyfinger »

Ooops.........
Alasdair
Activa, the Moose Rider
3x C5x7 Steering racks and counting
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

Stickyfinger wrote: 06 Aug 2017, 00:52 Ooops.........

:-D
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

EDIT: Van, I've just shown your post to the other G section committee members, one of them mentioned he saw your C15 pull up to the gate while he was letting the ticket office know our plans for the day (in case anyone wondered where we had gone). As he was making his way out to meet you, you had turned your C15 around and had driven off without attempting to approach anyone, knowing full well that we may have been on a scenic drive on our way to the pub lunch.

To then complain on a public forum with the intention of tarnishing the reputation of the G rally (which is run completely by the G Section and not the central CCC events committee whatever your opinions of them might be) because you couldn't be arsed to go to the ticket office 10 metres away in my mind is unacceptable.

With the greatest respect, it does say 'Rural Life Centre' in big letters on the poster along with the full address. The entrance to the Rural Life Museum is pretty big and you noticed the sign saying 'Citroen Rally' so knew you were at the right place.

We do have a large G Section banner (similar size to the one at the Bristol Show) which we usually hang up on the entrance between the car park and museum. I'll speak to the others and see about getting another made up for the main entrance to make it a bit clearer as I do think you have a point in that the Citroen Rally sign, although pretty obvious doesn't jump out.

The poster clearly says that we go on a scenic drive followed by pub lunch on Saturday. We do this so we're not sitting around chatting in a field all day (next year we're thinking of doing a trip out to a local car museum). The museum staff in the ticket office would have been able to give you information about where we had gone and when we'd be back. The cafe and museum were open so there was plenty to entertain before we got back. What do you reckon might be worth doing in the future?
Last edited by red_dwarfers on 08 Aug 2017, 19:43, edited 2 times in total.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

van ordinaire wrote: 05 Aug 2017, 21:44All you folk who were only proposing to go tomorrow, have a great time & I'm sure I'll soon be reading about what a wonderful event I've missed. :wink:

Well guessed :P

G rally report 2017

Tilford Rural Life Museum once again played host to the GS/A Ami rally and it was a resounding success with more classic French cars passing through the gates into the museum grounds than last year.

Many of us took up the option of free camping for the weekend which is increasingly becoming more luxurious as the years go on thanks to Anthony’s enthusiasm. Alongside the communal BBQ and gazebos we had Ikea chairs, posh lampshades with LED lights, a dart board and enough glow sticks to line a runway much to the delight of the children and big kids. How he manages to fit all that gear into the back of his GS estate we’ll never know.

Saturday we all drove over to the Spotted Cow for a mostly pizza based lunch. Chris kindly visited the evening before for quality control checks. He was pleased to confirm that the desserts were particularly tasty.

Sunday is the main rally day for us where we park in and around the historic collection of buildings that the Rural Life Centre has built up over the years. This makes for a really interesting visit as there are lots of different places to explore on site in between looking at cars and chatting to fellow enthusiasts. There is also a railway, café and bookshop on site. I still haven’t had time to see the constantly evolving museum in the 5 years that I’ve been attending.

This year we had a wide selection of classic Citroens, in addition to a large percentage of road going Gs we had a good number of DS and X models along with a Cactus (I can't get enough of those air bumps!) and a new CCC member who brought his pre-war Citroen along to the show which complemented the Traction Avant.

This year we were joined by the car booters in the morning and a selection of 40s and 50s American cars whose owners stayed for the weekend after celebrating a recent marriage in their club. People travelled great distances; a young couple drove all the way from the Netherlands in their DS just for the meeting as they enjoyed it so much last year.

Provisional dates for next year are 4-5th August 2018. Pencil it in your diary now!
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
ren16tx

Post by ren16tx »

to van ordinaire
i saw you drive in, i was in the office, talking with the site manager , i was about to run out and see you, but you just turned round so quickly, and drove off!!!!!!!! i had no chance to catch you up, you did not stop, had you got out of your van and looked around, you would have seen the camping field with loads of citroens in it!!! Also, had you bothered getting out of the van, and asking in the office, where i was!! which was near where you turned around, you would have been directed to the camping area! i
please do not slag of the rally, when you your self , made no effort to actually stop, and get out to find out where we were!!
saturday mornings are always quiet, and we were setting up the rally, the pub convoy was set for 12.30pm,
The rally itself went very well, and everyone enjoyed them selves, with a great turnout , !
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

Well, I certainly seem to have ruffled a few feathers which wasn't my intention, I was merely recounting my experience. As for suggesting my intention was to tarnish the reputation of the event, well that's just ridiculous; if only because I didn't know it had one. If I had a criticism, it was only a regret that the advance information didn't state the departure time for the run out on Saturday, I would then have known whether (a) I'd missed the boat, or (b) I should intensify my search. To that limited extent the event was bedevilled by the CCC exclusivity syndrome, which assumes everyone knows the ropes - or enjoys an iniiative test! Then again, I do have a very low "it's more trouble than it's worth" threshold which can cause me to, very quickly, reassess "do I really want to be here?"

It wouldn't be the first time that I'd attended an event (of all sorts & sizes) to find it was the wrong date or it had been cancelled - & all the obvious indications on Saturday were "right place, wrong day!"

Yes, I saw the campsight - but not that it was conspicuously full of Citroens. No, I didn't stop, what for? As interesting as the venue might be, that's not why I was there, I'm not used to staff at such places having any knowledge of/interest in any event they may be hosting, & had no reason to believe this would be any different AND I had a weekend to re-arrange!

If when I arrived everyone had gone for lunch I could've understood that, but it now seems I was there with at least an hour to spare, so that does remain a puzzle. Still if everyone else enjoyed the weekend & it was only me that was disappointed, that's a result & one of which all concerned can feel justifiably proud. Well done & I'm sure next year's will be an even greater success - if only because, even if I'm free, I wouldn't dare show my face.
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
ren16tx

Post by ren16tx »

You would be welcomed back next year, but please bare in mind we are all volunteers, all of time and (personal) expenses go into these rallies, and we advertise as much as we can, ( we still get people who didn't realise it was on untill after the event!)
. But comments like its another CCC cock ip event are not helpful and are very hurtful to those giving up our time to put these events on,
. If you saw the camp site, why did you not venture in?
. As I say, you would be welcome back next year, and if you wanted to offer your help, even better!!!
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Here is a video of the event

And some really good professional photos from http://www.reallyloud.co.uk/. Click on the image for the rest.

Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

Liked the vid, sorry about the dearth of Amis though.
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

van ordinaire wrote: 11 Aug 2017, 00:33 Liked the vid, sorry about the dearth of Amis though.

Ami's and 2CVs were definitely down this year, a good chunk of Ami owners were over at the International 2CV event in Portugal. In fact the one Ami owner that did come had just driven back from there. Fair play to him!
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

Exactly what i'd have done, if I had an Ami - unless there was raid following-on from the International!
'96 Cadillac Eldorado