Installing DAB Radio in a C5 X7 for under £25

Guides on how to approach the more common problems experienced by our members.
Please don't post in this forum but link to the threads here where necessary.
Anyone wishing to create a howto please submit to a mod or admin for inclusion here. Subject to being edited.

Moderators: RichardW, myglaren

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Re: Installing DAB Radio in a C5 X7 for under £25

Post by GiveMeABreak » 27 Jul 2018, 16:58

Having used it for a few days, I noticed that the collar on the DAB was a little tight to turn. When I removed it from the socket, it turned much easier. This is down to the recessed design and angle of the 12V socket on the X7. So I ordered one of those angled extenders - it took a good hour or so finding one that would allow the angle of the adapter to be flexible enough to meet my needs.

I settled on this one that angles almost through 180°. I was hoping not to get one that wasn't too huge and I really didn't want one with all the Carlos Fandango charging ports and Blackpool Illuminations plastered all over it - but had to settle on this. I should note that this unit actually displays the car voltage on the LED display - so a good way to check your alternator is going its job.

Here's a few pictures showing the gear stick movement for my 6-Speed in reverse and through most of the gears. It doesn't interfere with gear changes and only brushes your knuckle when engaging reverse - so all in all a good solution for my setup. Now I can see the DAB screen much better too, as well as more easily rotate the collar to change station. :-D
DAB Extender A.PNG
'SAVORI' 12V Extender (although the one I received was called something completely different :rofl2:
Link: SAVORI 12 V Extender Link
Close a.JPG
Close b.JPG
Here's a close up of the unit installed......and another
Neutral.JPG
First.jpg
In NeutralFirst Gear
Reverse.JPG
Reverse B.JPG
ReverseReverse gear from above
Reverse c.JPG
Third.JPG
Reverse from behindThird gear
Fourth.JPG
Sixth.JPG
Fourth gearSixth gear
Voltage.JPG
Here's the car's voltage display
I'll put a link to this post in the original.

EDC5
donor 2018

Post by EDC5 » 27 Jul 2018, 17:13

Looks good!

Does the headline price stated in the thread title need updating though? :rofl2:

Having a voltage readout is nice too, can you see it dip momentarily when you lift the suspension or turn the heated rear window on?

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team

Post by GiveMeABreak » 27 Jul 2018, 18:22

I did think about updating the price - but then thought against it as it would skew the DAB cost - especially if you put this into another vehicle where it fitted ok - and let's face it if you wanted a diamond encrusted 12V adapter, that would put it up a few grand :-D

Haven't checked that Elis - I will see what happens next time I'm in the car :)