I-spy an Ugly SUV

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: I-spy an Ugly SUV

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 10:42
CitroJim wrote: 04 Mar 2018, 09:28 Reagan was right ;)
In those days they were Foreign!

At least it narrowed it down a bit the R16 did look a bit different! After grey or silver the 2018 eye witness would be hard pushed to come up with any distinguishing features!

Regards Neil

They certainly looked different Neil... Compared with the British tin of the era they looked positively space-age... Especially the R16...

I've always loved the R16... It's precisely what the Austin Maxi should have been...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Isn't the R16 what, 1st the Maxi, then the Wedgie, tried (wanted?) to be.

Now - a R16 story: a friend had a succession of them & one of them we took to France on holiday. He came down to London, stayed overnight & in the morning I drove down to Dover (or wherever the Hovercraft terminal was) rather than giving him directions. However he wanted to load it himself, so we changed over at the top of the slipway - & at the bottom of it found he had no brakes! Of course a column change & an umbrella handbrake are not an ideal combination in such an event, but he managed masterfully & we boarded without too much drama. Spent the crossing wondering what we were going to do, but taking some comfort in the fact that at least we were in a French car. Carefully negotiating Calais on the gears & handbrake we stopped at the first garage we saw & managed to get over to M. la garagiste what the problem was. In no time at all he was propped up in his doorway with a short length of brake pipe in one hand - & a rat-tailed file in the other. He proceeded to fettle the flair with the tang of the file & having replaced the pipe, bled the brakes & relieved us of the cost of a bottle of plonk, waved us on our way. Probleme? quelle probleme?
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

Sadly those sorts sof mechanic are few and far between nowadays, modern cars dont need a mechanic with donkeys years experience on all Manor of vehicles, a head crammed with tips and tricks etc. When a computer does it all for you!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I love stories like that Van... Shows what we have lost in these days of.. Well, you know what I mean :(

Speaking of things we have lost...

The column change in the R16 was brilliant...

I think there's still a place for column changes and it's very sad they seem to have become totally extinct...

To me it seems entirely logical... Citroen thought so when they mounted the gear-change for the hydraulic DS on the steering column cowl ;)

Second-best ever was the 'Umbrella-handle' change... So logical, intuitive and natural to use... Again, sadly missed...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

Don't know if any of you have seen the new Audi suv advert? Driving along with little geaphics popping up telling you what all the computerisation is doing, background song of 'if only i had a brain....'
Couldn't help but think it was referring to the driver......

'58 C2 Code
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

Timmo wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 09:24 Couldn't help but think it was referring to the driver......

:rofl2: It was!!!
Jim

bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Timmo wrote: 06 Mar 2018, 09:24 ....... 'if only i had a brain....'
Couldn't help but think it was referring to the driver......

I think the advertising agency might have made a mistake........ as that's exactly what I thought when I saw the advert :-D
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

I posted here a while back and I could NOT find the name of the SUV that sometimes appears parked outside our place....

...but its there again today, must be a friend or relative of a resident, noted the make & model this time.

Honda CH-R; this particular one's dark grey on a 16 plate and is the most outrageously ugly thing you ever saw!
Puxa
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 18:44 Honda CH-R; this particular one's dark grey on a 16 plate and is the most outrageously ugly thing you ever saw!

Had to look it up to see what it looked like, but could only come up with a Toyota CH-R

The Toyota C-HR is a subcompact crossover SUV(what an awful phrase) produced by Toyota. ... The name C-HR stands for Compact High Rider, Cross Hatch Run–about or Coupé High–Rider. The acronym is as ugly as the car!
2017 Toyota C-HR Excel HEV CVT 1.8 [CC BY-SA 4.0 (https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/4.0)], by Vauxford (Own work), from Wikimedia Commons

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 15 Mar 2018, 21:15 [
The Toyota C-HR is a subcompact crossover SUV(what an awful phrase) produced by Toyota. ... The name C-HR stands for Compact High Rider, Cross Hatch Run–about or Coupé High–Rider. The acronym is as ugly as the car!

Regards Neil

The door handles look OK. :lol:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Now they're going to have to go some for the "Kashcow" to regain it's gross, clown car title.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

Did any of you see the lrlgram on Bentley earlier in the week? Specifically focusing on the Bentaga, the luxury 4x4 suv!

'58 C2 Code
NewcastleFalcon

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Better let it take a bow in our humble collection.....

Boredom Alert!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Timmo
(Donor 2022)

Post by Timmo »

The episode had the guy from Kahn who customise them to a different level, he referred to the of the shelf customised version as Old money and his as New money! Unsurprisingly his version was matte black!

'58 C2 Code
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

Timmo wrote: 16 Mar 2018, 06:24 ....program on Bentley focusing on the Bentaga, luxury 4x4 suv!
yes, I saw that, definitely not the most entralling; the Bentaga's a heck of a long way 'removed' from Bentleys of the past (but if that's what they need to do to sell cars....)

The fella from Kahn was more 'recognisable' he struck me as something of a modern day Del-Boy Trotter with a penchant for the sort of 'customising' that most of us probably did back when we were teenagers.

There seems to be less of it about today, I haven't actually seen a lowered matt black Corsa with wheel spacers in a while, never mind a Suzuki Rascal resprayed to resemble the A-Team's van. Will the red stripe that featured on it be the next thing that Khan adds to his matt black Bentagas?!
Puxa