Electric Vehicles: What have you spotted?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: Electric Vehicles: What have you spotted?

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

So what do Blyth and St Austell have in common...........Electric Taxis

Spotted a Pheonix Taxi Nissan e-NV200 the other day
nf own work
nf own work

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

As of yesterday, a Karmann Ghia (for sale), another MGB (I think), a Beetle (+ a Type 2 under construction) and a Tesla for sale by a classic car dealer! - oh & a competition Jag (whatever) - not sure which circuits that would've been on! Also some BMW hybrid - which the Germans only accept complies with E4.
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

van ordinaire wrote: 13 Apr 2019, 22:21 . . . Also some BMW hybrid - which the Germans only accept complies with E4.
Good to hear that the petrol engine under these bonnets has finally been found out!

Also note that the latest Toyota hybrid tv adverts trumpet the cars as "self-charging". So that's all right then - no need to even plug them in!
Chris
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

One of my neighbour's kids wants to know if the AA will bring you a jerry can of electric if you run out on the motorway in your Tesla.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Flo
My Cars: Renault Zoe - Electric Blue (2014) ~ Zea
Citroen C2 VTR 1.6L 16v Sensodrive (2004) ~ Flo
Peugeot 207 1.4 HDI Verve (2009) (Son's Car) ~ Leb

Post by Flo »

I have my little Zoe and I love her to bits, she gets me from A - B with no hassle but...... she was a pain to start with as there wasn't much of a charging infrastructure but now it has got a lot better however THE PLUG-IN hybrids keep stealing my spot where I generally need to charge as I'll be on sparks from running around after my kid and running to work
Many Thanks,
Will x
NewcastleFalcon

Flo wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 11:46 I have my little Zoe and I love her to bits, she gets me from A - B with no hassle but...... she was a pain to start with as there wasn't much of a charging infrastructure but now it has got a lot better however THE PLUG-IN hybrids keep stealing my spot where I generally need to charge as I'll be on sparks from running around after my kid and running to work

Congratulations on taking the electric plunge. I am never sure whether Renault actually want to sell Zoe's. Its a more than capable car, and really they should be ramping up production achieving more economies of scale and selling them hand over fist. But like the rest of the traditional car makers, they have stacks of internal combustion engine cars into which they have ploughed R&D and production investment. If cars like the Zoe are too successful too quickly, they could kill the business for their other products.

Same is true of Nissan if my anecdotal evidence of a visit to one of their new car showrooms is valid. Very much pushing the QashQai, the Juke and the Micra occupying the majority of showroom space and "offers" with a single Leaf occupying a small corner!

Plenty of electric interest threads in this Off Topic Chat Lounge section, and at least one other electric pioneer
Simon (Mandrake) with his Peugeot Ion, and a considerable knowledge of all things electric vehicle wise.

REgards Neil

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Mandrake
My Cars:

Post by Mandrake »

A new generation Zoe is expected "soon", with soon being in the next couple of years. The current model is largely unchanged from the original 2013 model apart from a welcome doubling in battery size to 40kWh a couple of years ago.

The problem with the current Zoe (IMHO) is that Renault decided to go out on a limb and implement what has subsequently turned out to be the only AC rapid charging system (43kW) of any EV on the market. All other EV's use DC for rapid charging where the stationary rapid charger does the heavy lifting of converting AC to DC for direct supply to the battery, keeping the charging circuitry in the car simpler, cheaper and smaller.

Further, most recent versions of the Zoe dropped the charging speed to 22kW, which is anything but rapid. A Zoe would be a step up from our Ion in many ways but I'm wary of the charging system it uses. The clear signs in the industry are that AC charging faster than 22kW is an evolutionary dead end and will not be pursued by any other manufacturer and would be totally infeasible for 100kW or faster charging where the advantages of DC get bigger and bigger.

At the moment most UK rapid chargers are triple head -

Chademo - the oldest, Japanese standard used on my Ion and all Leaf's, as well as a few others like 1st gen Kia Soul, which is the official standard in Japan but considered a "legacy" standard in the EU/UK however will likely remain available for 10-20 years until the current Chademo cars go off the road, as even today Chademo is still the most common standard on cars currently on the road.

CCS - the newest, EU mandated standard used in all European marquee cars, (except Zoe!) most EU market US cars (such as Tesla Model 3) and many Asian cars. (like Hyundai etc) This will be the permanent standard in the EU/UK going forward, with the only real holdout of note at the moment being the Leaf, with new Kia models switching over from Chademo to CCS to align with Hyundai, who have always been CCS.

43kW three phase AC - used only by the Zoe!

Both Chademo and CCS are DC.

Two major new rapid charging networks are rolling out that do not have AC. Instavolt (which I actually use the most) is Chademo and CCS only. So no Zoe support. Ionity is CCS only, although that is expected since it's backed by a cabal of German car makers who only make CCS cars.

In Scotland there are a lot of 22kW AC charge points (separate to rapid chargers) so a Zoe will at least charge at 22kW on those (and some Zoe's are only 22kW anyway) however in England/Wales, 22kW AC charge points are very uncommon aside from their current presence on triple/dual head rapid chargers. Outside of those most AC charge points in England/Wales are only 7kW which is overnight charging speeds.

So the charging future for the current Zoe is bleak, and it's a major thing that puts me off buying one. (Although I haven't completely ruled it out) Rumours are that the next gen Zoe which is due potentially next year will be CCS and thus will fall into line with all other European Marquees in adopting CCS.

One to watch may be the Peugeot e-208 - depending on pricing this may be a strong competitor to the Zoe, it has a bigger battery and more range, uses future proof CCS charging at up to 100kW, so much faster charging, and to be honest I think it's a better looking car than a Zoe, certainly on the inside. From what I've read (sources unconfirmed) 75% of the pre-orders for the Peugeot 208 are for the all electric version, despite or perhaps due to the electric version having relatively limited production numbers at first.

Still no pricing for it though... current Zoe is listed at about £18k depending on specs but often sells for as much as £4k less than the list price as is typical of French cars!

Aside from an Ion/C-Zero (which is a fairly limited car all said) the Zoe is currently the next cheapest EV that is still on sale new, so it will be interesting to see where the Peugeot e-208 falls. My guess is it will be a bit more expensive than the Zoe, but it will also be a better car with higher specs and better build quality.
Simon

1997 Xantia S1 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive in Silex Grey
2016 Nissan Leaf Tekna 30kWh in White

2011 Peugeot Ion Full Electric in Silver
1977 G Special 1129cc LHD
1978 CX 2400
1997 Xantia S1 2.0i Auto VSX
1998 Xantia S2 3.0 V6 Auto Exclusive
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

£18,000? Anyone with that sort of money to blow on a car could (&, I'm sure, would) buy a real car - & a 1/2-decent specimen at that!
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

I saw an all electric Ioniq yesterday, on a 19 - first EV on the new plate. The local council has a fleet of Soul EVs, so I see those around work a lot, as they have an office just up the road. I also saw an ION on the move in Berwick upon Tweed a couple of weeks ago - and it wasn't Simon's!!
Richard W
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Seen briefly in passing twice last week, a white SUV with Tesla badge - Model X?.
Also seen Nissan work vans a few times as well with livery boasting zero emissions.
NewcastleFalcon

Here's a BMW I3 100% Electric exiting Waitrose car park.... if its horizonal just click on it and it will re-erect itself! Use the magnifier and it gets bigger.

Regards Neil
nf own work
nf own work
Last edited by myglaren on 24 Apr 2019, 19:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Image rotated
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

New 19reg Black Nissan Leaf. That is the third leaf for that particular owner. Started off with the white, then red, then black. Electric car snooker.!

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Gibbo2286 wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 10:04 One of my neighbour's kids wants to know if the AA will bring you a jerry can of electric if you run out on the motorway in your Tesla.

The RAC will!

https://www.motoringresearch.com/car-ne ... r-charger/

Coming to Manchester, Birmingham and London in June 2019....100 points for an original photo of one of the logo-ed up vans :-D

regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Amsterdam accelerates the pace - no more diesels 15-years-old+ from next year
https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/ ... bikes-2030
Chris
NewcastleFalcon

This is one of the the usual whinges in the article

“Many tens of thousands of families who have no money for an electric car will soon be left out in the cold. That makes Amsterdam a city of the rich.

The time has never been more right, for that particular gap in the market to be filled. Not with your electric executive toys that do 0-60 in 2 seconds, but a decent low cost mass produced EV.

Carlos Ghosn before he got banged up, outlined his ambitions on that. Who are the most likely to deliver now? Renault/Nissan/Dacia? Dyson? Volkswagen? Google? Uber? Tesla?. More likely to come from the World leader I think. Well as you might expect there is a thread on such matters on the FCF

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=59619#p567935

REgards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey