FCF AA BOX Challenge 2019-Just Jersey left!

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

Re: The FCF AA BOX Summer Challenge 2016-12 left to be bagged!

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Tiitlle's changed and 12 remain... I have high hopes for all of Scotland to be claimed, something which will surely stir the Welsh! and rise the Westcountrymen out of their slumber. But Norfolk......is it a FCF hotbed? anyone planning a boating holiday on the Broads? and has anyone any contact with Jersey? An FCF Member with a very low mileage car perhaps....
Here's the full list of the now 12 unclaimed boxes in nice little groupings
South West England
137 Porlock, Somerset: on A39 (Dunster-Lynton) at junction with New Road
456 Halfway House, Newton Poppleford, Devon: on A3052 (Exeter-Sidmouth) at junction with B3180
Wales
161 Nantyffin, Crickhowell, Powys: on A40 (Abergavenny-Brecon) at junction with Talgarth A479
289 Devil’s Bridge, Ceredigion: at junction with A4120 (Devil’s Bridge-Ponterwyd) and Cwmystwyth B4574
580 Boduan, Gwynedd: on A497 (Nefyn-Pwllheli) around 1 mile south of junction with B4354
North West England
487 Dunmail Raise, Grasmere, Cumbria: on A591 (Grasmere-Keswick) at Raise House south of Thirlmere
Scotland
472 Cambus o’ May, Aberdeenshire: on A93 (Aberdeen-Braemar) near junction with Strathdon A97
504 Ardgay, Highland: at junction of A836 (Bonar Bridge-Tarlogie) and B9176
631 Brachla, Highland: on A82 (Fort Augustus-Inverness) around 4 miles north of Drumnadrochit
753 Glen Dye, Strachan, Aberdeenshire: between Bridge of Dye and Strachan on B974 at junction with Old Military Road
..and just a bit further south
Norfolk
530 Brancaster, Norfolk: on A149 (Hunstanton-Wells) around 300 metres west of junction with Common Lane, Brancaster Staithe
Jersey
687 Trinity, Jersey: at junction of Rue du Presbytere and Rue des Picots, Trinity
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

This world is a poorer place for not having those AA boxes everywhere now :(
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

CitroJim wrote:This world is a poorer place for not having those AA boxes everywhere now :(

It's strange, I find, that things which are now protected and of historic interest wouldn't get planning permission now without a huge fight with the councillors, the nimbies, the ecologists and the conservationists.

Have you seen the grey boxes the Post Office erected to make delivery easier, town planners everywhere objected, required planning consent for each one and then charged the PO £135 for every application.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

That is crazy... I guess BT or whatever they're called these days have the same issues with getting their green cabinets installed... I do believe I've heard rumours that has denied some folks fibre Internet because they could not get the necessary permissions to install a cabinet. A case of choose foot, take aim and fire!
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

I collected the Porlock AA box today while out for a drive in the XM!

I'll get the photos uploaded this week.

Its been a while since I've had time to pause at various points and appreciate the scenery around Mid/North Devon and West Somerset. It really is absolutely breathtaking.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
NewcastleFalcon

red_dwarfers wrote:I collected the Porlock AA box today while out for a drive in the XM!

I'll get the photos uploaded this week.

Its been a while since I've had time to pause at various points and appreciate the scenery around Mid/North Devon and West Somerset. It really is absolutely breathtaking.
That's brilliant Kev....I couldn't find it when I did a virtual drive on google street view and posted this up
NewcastleFalcon wrote:I was hoping that the Somerset Box at Pitcombe Head, the junction between the A39 and New Road would be one of the ones easily knocked off the list. It may prove to be a little difficult. In 2014 it was removed for refurbishment, but has it been reinstated?......can't find any evidence that it has and google maps street view doesn't show it in place at that junction.

Regards Neil
Looking forward to the Pics

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

A friend mentioned there used to be a well used AA office and box at Halcon Corner in Taunton. Traffic was awful through Taunton before the M5 during summer as Saturday was market day which combined with holiday changeover caused chaos. Many holiday makers used to stop and renew their AA membership while caught up in it all. The office and box were taken down when the junction was redeveloped, the guy thinks it was abandoned for a while until that point.

Halcon corner is the juction between Illminister Rd, Bridgwater Rd and Hamilton Rd.
Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

red_dwarfers wrote:A friend mentioned there used to be a well used AA office and box at Halcon Corner in Taunton.
Remember that one from when I was a kid Kev...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

red_dwarfers wrote:A friend mentioned there used to be a well used AA office and box at Halcon Corner in Taunton.
Halcon corner is the juction between Illminister Rd, Bridgwater Rd and Hamilton Rd.
Looking for some old pictures which might have had that box on it (Box 138 Halcon Corner (tel. Taunton 3363!)) I found some other boxes which have survived in museums etc, including one from Beamish Musem Co.Durham. So extra points for any original photography of these bonus boxes :-D
County Durham.....Beamish Museum...Box535...from Carterway Heads...A68 junction with A691
Northern Ireland.....Ulster Transport Museum...Box645 from Loughbrickland....A1 3 miles S of Banbridge
West Sussex..Amberley Museum...Box44...from Offington Corner.. A24/A27 Junction
Hampshire...National Motor Museum...Box920...from Maidstone Motorway...A20 at Hollingbourne
Herefordshire....Eardisland...Box 321..from Legions Cross..Leominster-Kington A44 at Legions Cross
.....more to come
Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Passed Beamish yesterday, going to Consett. Would have dropped in and taken a photo.
NewcastleFalcon

myglaren wrote:Passed Beamish yesterday, going to Consett. Would have dropped in and taken a photo.
myglaren wrote:A green V-reg Xantia estate looking very presentable driving into my estate as I drove out on one of my magical mystery tours.
Steve my apologies for bringing in a quote from the French car spotting thread but it made me smile putting the 2 together....

If only the Beatles Magical Mystery Tour had taken in Consett as well they could have had a track called "Barry's Bargain Discount Store" :-D

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Well, I must admit to being ignorant of Barry's Bargain Discount store, despite having been on the same street to visit Specsavers around Easter time.
Somewhat ironic that :)

I generally just go to Tesco in Consett, not into the town, and then only when the moon is blue and an 'R' in the month.
It is always quiet and relatively easy to avoid the smokers and has things that my local shops (Aldi) don't have.

The magical mystery tour was courtesy of the Highways agency who conveniently closed the A-whateveritmightbe and redirected the traffic along upmarket farm tracks through Stone Heap of all places.
Took an alternative rout home and half-followed half-ignored the satnav. Probably would have been home in half the time if I'd gone through Durham, or even Manchester.

Only lived here since 1978, haven't found my way around yet :)
red_dwarfers
(Donor 2020)
My Cars:

Post by red_dwarfers »

Here we are at the top of the steepest A road in England and with it being Somerset, the pre Worboys sign is still very much in use. Most of the inner town signs are Worboys but I was pleasantly surprised to see a good number in Dulverton (though to be fair its a bit rural and olde worldy!)

Kev

'19 C4 Cactus 130 Flair
NewcastleFalcon

Re: The FCF AA BOX Summer Challenge 2016-11 left to be bagged!

Absoulutely top quality stuff Kev, hope you enjoyed the drive? Nice to see it bang on topic for French car chat with the XM in the photo's. Looks like the summer challenge will be slipping into an Autumn/Winter Challenge now..11 boxes to go. The north-eastI may manage a bonus box from Beamish Museum, but Norwich and Jersey seem out of reach at the moment, and Scotland and Wales have gone a bit quiet! I am hoping for a little stirring in the West Country for the one in Devon couple of new members down there to infect with the obsession!

Thanks for joining in the little game Kev

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
daviemck2006
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: Far too many good ones to remember. Many BL, Vauxhall, Ford, Renault, Citroen, Peugeot, and now VAG

Re: The FCF AA BOX Summer Challenge 2016-11 left to be bagged!

Post by daviemck2006 »

I'm a bit busy trying to get cars through mots to go on aa box hunts in the activa!

Sent from my SM-G361F using Tapatalk
Skoda Karoq 1.6tdi 2018
Citroen relay camper 2012
In the family
Seat Leon 1.5tsi tourer 2019 daughter 1
C1 vtr+ 2010 daughter 2